Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

14 hours ago, Planner1 said:

The readings are already sufficient to justify the imposition of a Clean Air Zone (CAZ), so it’s  nonsense to suggest they are putting in this measure to justify it.

And Amey have to put it right at their own expense and maintain it to the agreed standard, so any lack of quality is Amey’s problem.

Point 1.

We all know should the Council fail to meet the government guidlines then no funding will be granted so really the Council are going all out for this.

The recent readings will be high when Traffic is at a standstill due to the cycle lanes ....Why dont you take readings around Tinsley and Meadowhall where readings are higher? Will CAZ zones be introduced in certain 'hot spots' all over to 'help' clean the air.

You still don't comment in emergancy Vehicles not being able to get through though.

Point 2.

Do you want me to produce to you photographic evidence from all over Sheffield where the roads have sunk, cracked and manhole covers have sunk? 

Shall I also show you the roads signs that were made out of such flimsy material that they are either bent, or missing.

The work I have seen after a few years by Amey regarding the roads have been appalling, lets all remember SCC told us all they were taking their time to make sure the correct company got the contract.

1 hour ago, S6 D.I.Y said:

do what manchester done . made 7 great cycle routes and roads safer for all useers 

Manchester bid for and received specific government funding for those cycle routes (and they have had the benefit of increased funding through their devolution deal for several years now).Sheffield bid for the same funding but weren’t successful. 

19 minutes ago, Taximark said:

....Why dont you take readings around Tinsley and Meadowhall where readings are higher? 

What do you mean by “Why don’t you.....“? I don’t work for SCC.

SCC have a permanent air quality monitoring station in Tinsley which has been there for many years.

24 minutes ago, Taximark said:

You still don't comment in emergancy Vehicles not being able to get through though.

I’ve already spoken about that earlier in the thread.

The Cabinet Member confirmed that the emergency services had not raised any issue with the temporary cycle lane. 

32 minutes ago, Taximark said:

Do you want me to produce to you photographic evidence from all over Sheffield where the roads have sunk, cracked and manhole covers have sunk? 

Shall I also show you the roads signs that were made out of such flimsy material that they are either bent, or missing.

Report the damaged or missing signs to the Council. Amey have to repair or replace them as part of the contract.

Report the highway defects to the Council. Amey have to fix them as part of the contract.

4 hours ago, RJRB said:

How about a continuous route down the middle of a Penistone Rd. instead of cobbles and trees.

Cut down perfectly good trees? Didn’t end well last time..........

8 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Seems to be a complete absence of forethought,analysis  and coordinated Planning as the whole route along Penistone Road through Shalesmoor and Derek Dooley Way has been the subject of much work and expense.....and just look at what a mess has been achieved.

Heads should roll but as no one takes ultimate  responsibility the buck can be passed endlessly.

9 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Manchester bid for and received specific government funding for those cycle routes (and they have had the benefit of increased funding through their devolution deal for several years now).Sheffield bid for the same funding but weren’t successful. 

Saying "not successful" is rewriting history. ;)

Sheffield screwed up the application in 2014 and blamed "complicated forms" or some such nonsense. Manchester and other places managed it and now we can see how far that city is in front of Sheffield.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/row-grows-sheffields-absence-government-cycling-funding-147081

Row grows over Sheffield’s absence from Government cycling funding

Councillors are blamed for not applying for 'cycling ambition city' status, but they say the application process was 'unworkable'
With Sheffield missing out on a share of the £214m of Government funding for cycling, councillors are claiming the city did not have the chance to apply for the money.

Eight cities across England were awarded ‘cycling ambition city’ status, entitling them to part of the government pot to improve their cycling infrastructure, but Sheffield, who hosted a stage of the 2014 Tour de France, was not selected.

Edited by Tony

9 hours ago, Planner1 said:

The centre section looks brilliant on Penistone  road plenty of room for a good cycle lane to the left down ward side , ,the cycle lanes need some kind of unobtrusive barrier instead of just white lines that motorists take no notice of ,some of em even park in the bike lane including police cars .

Edited by Parkside

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Saying "not successful" is rewriting history. ;)

Sheffield screwed up the application in 2014 and blamed "complicated forms" or some such nonsense. Manchester and other places managed it and now we can see how far that city is in front of Sheffield.

As I recall, there were a couple of tranches of funding available. SCC bid to one round and weren't successful and didn't get a bid in on the other one. The problem with these competitive bidding situations is that you need to have quite well developed schemes already worked up in order to meet the very pressing timescales for the bidding process. I don't think Sheffield did, so didn't feel they could mount an effective bid.

I've worked in both city regions and yes, Manchester are well in front. They have a longer history of collaborative working on transport across the city region and they are better resourced, due to them being better funded as their population being twice that of Sheffield city region. They've also had a mayoral funding devolution deal in place for quite a few years, which gives them even more money to spend. The have good strong leadership and work effectively with the government, which all helps.