Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

45 minutes ago, RJRB said:

A waste of government money

Just saying it doesn't make it a fact, it's just your opinion. Others will differ.

7 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Just saying it doesn't make it a fact, it's just your opinion. Others will differ.

Selective editing.

I said a waste of government money amounts to pretty means that tax payers money could be better spent elsewhere.

If anyone thinks this temporary feature is money well spent then we are poles apart.

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

It would take a stretch to argue that this scheme is a boost to the local economy, but no doubt you will try.

Do you really need it explaining to you? Really?

Are you seriously trying to argue that implementing a a significant amount of moneys worth of schemes in Sheffield doesn't benefit the local economy in any way?

26 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Selective editing.

I said a waste of government money amounts to pretty means that tax payers money could be better spent elsewhere.

If anyone thinks this temporary feature is money well spent then we are poles apart.

The fact that others may have an opinion that's poles apart from yours doesn't make either party right. It just means you have different views.

The fact is that the government decided how much money it wanted to spend in the country on these emergency measures. If Sheffield had said it didn't want any of this money, it would just have been allocated somewhere else for the same type of initiatives. That  mean more money being spent in other places to the detriment of the economy right here.

21 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Do you really need it explaining to you? Really?

Are you seriously trying to argue that implementing a a significant amount of moneys worth of schemes in Sheffield doesn't benefit the local economy in any way?

Labour ,paint and the utilisation of many plastic barriers.

Terrific.

9 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The fact that others may have an opinion that's poles apart from yours doesn't make either party right. It just means you have different views.

The fact is that the government decided how much money it wanted to spend in the country on these emergency measures. If Sheffield had said it didn't want any of this money, it would just have been allocated somewhere else for the same type of initiatives. That  mean more money being spent in other places to the detriment of the economy right here.

I wish that it had been allocated to somewhere that had a viable scheme,or even better that Sheffield had come up with something sensible.

It might only be temporary as several councillors have said,but that is still wasted money.

1 minute ago, RJRB said:

Labour ,paint and the utilisation of many plastic barriers.

Terrific.

Yes, for a contractor or supplier, that might make the difference between going bust or staying in business or laying staff off instead of keeping them on.

The money that will come to Sheffield over two phases of this initiative will be a couple of million (Over £7m for the city region) That is not an amount to be sniffed at in the current circumstances. Spending money on infrastructure is one way the government are looking to stimulate the economy.

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Surely there's no detriment to the tax payer as the government didn't raise extra taxes to pay for this.

It can be argued that the council have boosted the local economy by obtaining the government money and spending it here.

No detriment to the taxpayer? Maybe they didn't raise taxes for this project but the money used is still taxpayers money

and could have been better spent.

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Surely there's no detriment to the tax payer as the government didn't raise extra taxes to pay for this.

It can be argued that the council have boosted the local economy by obtaining the government money and spending it here.

Where do you think the money comes from, this council thinks it grows on trees with the way it wastes it.

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

Yes, for a contractor or supplier, that might make the difference between going bust or staying in business or laying staff off instead of keeping them on.

The money that will come to Sheffield over two phases of this initiative will be a couple of million (Over £7m for the city region) That is not an amount to be sniffed at in the current circumstances. Spending money on infrastructure is one way the government are looking to stimulate the economy.

The headlong rush to grab the money and create a temporary scheme is the waste of money on the part of the government,council and whichever authorities let it get past the drawing board.

The evening news on the latest government push had a report from Birmingham showing a stretch of road with a purpose made cycleway down the middle,

It looked effective and permanent.

So where in Sheffield could cycles and cars be catered for in a similar way.

How about a continuous route down the middle of a Penistone Rd. instead of cobbles and trees.

You still have the issue of keeping cyclists substantially on the routes into the city centre,and as I have said before,Shalesmoor is not part of that route.

do what manchester done . made 7 great cycle routes and roads safer for all useers 

not stupid sheffield council they stick stupid plastic blocks all over stopping fire engian getting throu as i seeing it with my own eyes ..

crazy also footfall for shops shalesmoor being hiy again 

1st they had tam lines

2nd ring road

3rd plastic stupid bollards 

4th CLOSOURE 

I used to cycle to work every day and did it for a couple of years.

Most of the time I really enjoyed it but cycling in the spring/summer in good or even average  weather and cycling in the winter in the cold and rain are worlds apart.

I consider myself quite fit and the rain rarely stops me going for a walk or run but cycling on cold/wet/windy days require planning, the right gear and determination and is not much fun!Even with all that when you get to work you are often cold and soaking wet so unless you have showers at work its not easy.Then you have the issue that you are cycling to and from work in the dark which is more dangerous and requires the correct equipment/clothes to be seen.I went through numerous sets of lights on my bike as the rain kept finding a way in and shorting them and then you have to remember to charge your batteries or you will pay a lot using disposables.

With all this in mind and the hills in Sheffield which are much harder to climb with the strong winds you get in winter makes me very doubtful that we will see anything like the amount of cyclists we see now in the winter when the roads are busiest. 

I am pro cycling and would love to see it remain popular but the virus and unusually good weather have provided the perfect environment for it  the real test will be November-April and I don't think a few bike lanes on the side of a busy road will make that much difference.

Edited by Fudbeer

14 minutes ago, Fudbeer said:

I used to cycle to work every day and did it for a couple of years.

Most of the time I really enjoyed it but cycling in the spring/summer in good or even average  weather and cycling in the winter in the cold and rain are worlds apart.

I consider myself quite fit and the rain rarely stops me going for a walk or run but cycling on cold/wet/windy days require planning, the right gear and determination and is not much fun!Even with all that when you get to work you are often cold and soaking wet so unless you have showers at work its not easy.Then you have the issue that you are cycling to and from work in the dark which is more dangerous and requires the correct equipment/clothes to be seen.I went through numerous sets of lights on my bike as the rain kept finding a way in and shorting them and then you have to remember to charge your batteries or you will pay a lot using disposables.

With all this in mind and the hills in Sheffield which are much harder to climb with the strong winds you get in winter makes me very doubtful that we will see anything like the amount of cyclists we see now in the winter when the roads are busiest. 

I am pro cycling and would love to see it remain popular but the virus and unusually good weather have provided the perfect environment for it  the real test will be November-April and I don't think a few bike lanes on the side of a busy road will make that much difference.

All so very true.

There is a boom in cycling which is great,but it is largely driven by the leisure market.

There are also increased numbers out running,but not so many running to work.

9 minutes ago, RJRB said:

All so very true.

There is a boom in cycling which is great,but it is largely driven by the leisure market.

There are also increased numbers out running,but not so many running to work.

I actually found it much easier to run to work in poor weather, it does not take that much longer than cycling on shortish commutes and much less stress!