Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

33 minutes ago, Becky B said:

Cycling to and from work is an easy way of getting exercise into your day, especially for those who complain they don't have the time! I used to cycle home from work in Barnsley, because it was much more pleasant than driving home and going to a spin class, and took about the same time...

NB  I know this won't work for everyone, but haven't we already had someone on here who said she has taken up cycling and feels much better for it (and IIRC described herself as "not fit/your typical cyclist or something like that?)

Thanks!  That's why it makes no sense 🙂

The problem is that there are many and varied routes and you just cannot cater solely for cyclists on a significant proportion of them.

Nor can you determine specific routes that cyclists will necessarily follow when there are always short cuts or easier routes to follow.

Certainly  around the City Centre.

I just think that more people would perhaps take up cycling on dedicated pathways,and then perhaps be competent enough to cycle in traffic.

13 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Actually, if you have an even closer look, bottom left hand corner.  Looks like a cyclist on the pavement?  Bloody typical. 

If you look really closely (possibly with the help of the second to last page of this document) you'll see that they are walking along the pavement holding their bike, not riding it. Motorists moaning about cyclists when they are not doing anything wrong - bloody typical. ;)

On 24/07/2020 at 22:04, FORE said:

Well it appears at the moment there are  797 objections and 20 supporting. Seems pretty conclusive to me.

If the developer gets the go ahead they won't give a toss when their 'sovs' are rolling in.

Is it only the factory they are replacing? If so I don't understand the nature argument - I walked through there this weekend and the factory does not look to have any wildlife in it and the whole area seems to be covered in litter that people chuck on the ground. The areas around the factory are nice green spaces to walk in, but the factory itself is an eyesore and all that litter would be harmful to wildlife.  But maybe there are also planning to build on green spaces in addition to the factory land?

If you cannot remain civil to other users then do not post. If i have to remove any more comments then I will be issuing bans. 

1 hour ago, nightrider said:

Is it only the factory they are replacing? If so I don't understand the nature argument - I walked through there this weekend and the factory does not look to have any wildlife in it and the whole area seems to be covered in litter that people chuck on the ground. The areas around the factory are nice green spaces to walk in, but the factory itself is an eyesore and all that litter would be harmful to wildlife.  But maybe there are also planning to build on green spaces in addition to the factory land?

Think you've possibly posted into the wrong thread Night rider? 

I have driven through this road layout and can only be amazed at the stupidity and lack of real world intelligence of those who proposed and enacted it.

It can only be a result of the Sheffield Council ‘Strong Leader’ system, where just 10 out of 84 elected councillors have the power to make nearly all decisions. The other 74 councillors have virtually no power, so cannot represent the people that elected them. What is the point of voting if your councillor has no power? This undemocratic system was forced on Sheffield by the government in the early 2000s. Had the elections taken place in May, we Sheffielders would have had the opportunity to vote against the 'Strong Leader' system and for a committee council system where all elected councillors have a say in the running of the city.

So using Covid-19 as an excuse, this ridiculous traffic system has been forced upon us,  at what I imagine is great expense.

Only Sheffield council could use social distancing as an excuse to push through a road closure scheme. Councillor Bob Johnson, the council's transport spokesman, said: "With public transport limited due to the pandemic it is more important than ever we help people get to where they need to be". Yes it is important! But what Councillor Bob Johnson doesn't mention is that there is not and never was any public transport in the area affected by these road closures. Come on Bob, tell us how it is going to be so marvellous with all the queueing traffic as drivers are left with fewer roads to reach their destinations. I drove through the area last night just to see what the restrictions are and I could not think of a logical reason for what has been done. There is the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"....... Sheffield council's mantra, "If it ain't broke, break it, and tell everyone that it's for their own good".

If you approach by car etc. from Rutland Road and turn left on to Penistone Road to access the 'Kelham Quarter',  it is a journey of at least 1 mile to find your way back to the Neepsend area due to the closure of Ball St bridge. It appears that only the fools at Council Towers believe this to be in everyone's interest.

The sooner common sense prevails and this mistake is put right the better it will be for all road users in the area.

20 minutes ago, Gligs said:

I have driven through this road layout and can only be amazed at the stupidity and lack of real world intelligence of those who proposed and enacted it.

It can only be a result of the Sheffield Council ‘Strong Leader’ system, where just 10 out of 84 elected councillors have the power to make nearly all decisions. The other 74 councillors have virtually no power, so cannot represent the people that elected them. What is the point of voting if your councillor has no power? This undemocratic system was forced on Sheffield by the government in the early 2000s. Had the elections taken place in May, we Sheffielders would have had the opportunity to vote against the 'Strong Leader' system and for a committee council system where all elected councillors have a say in the running of the city.

So using Covid-19 as an excuse, this ridiculous traffic system has been forced upon us,  at what I imagine is great expense.

Only Sheffield council could use social distancing as an excuse to push through a road closure scheme. Councillor Bob Johnson, the council's transport spokesman, said: "With public transport limited due to the pandemic it is more important than ever we help people get to where they need to be". Yes it is important! But what Councillor Bob Johnson doesn't mention is that there is not and never was any public transport in the area affected by these road closures. Come on Bob, tell us how it is going to be so marvellous with all the queueing traffic as drivers are left with fewer roads to reach their destinations. I drove through the area last night just to see what the restrictions are and I could not think of a logical reason for what has been done. There is the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"....... Sheffield council's mantra, "If it ain't broke, break it, and tell everyone that it's for their own good".

If you approach by car etc. from Rutland Road and turn left on to Penistone Road to access the 'Kelham Quarter',  it is a journey of at least 1 mile to find your way back to the Neepsend area due to the closure of Ball St bridge. It appears that only the fools at Council Towers believe this to be in everyone's interest.

The sooner common sense prevails and this mistake is put right the better it will be for all road users in the area.

Car, car, blah, blah. Try cycling through it for a different perspective.

I cycled through it before and since the closures, not really any different to what it is now from a cycling perspective, bla, bla, bla.......

19 hours ago, Tony said:

Oh man, I don't know how to break this to you, make sure you are sat down with a brown paper bag because you're about to hyperventilate when you see this

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/ps15bn-plan-sheffields-biggest-ever-2445918

b25lY21zOjdhZDczZDQ5LTQ1MTAtNGUyZS1hY2Nl

All that wonderful access for bus & coach users.

Oh wait there's no interchange in the plan .....

At least no cyclists 🚵‍♀️ in the way.

Must be the weather 

51 minutes ago, Resident said:

All that wonderful access for bus & coach users.

Oh wait there's no interchange in the plan .....

Utopia, Sheffield style....