Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

1 hour ago, darylslinn said:

And when they can no longer carry groceries on their bicycles and they revert to a motorised vehicle to get to the supermarkets which way do they travel...

To their phone, to order online and get the motorised vehicle to travel to them...

Can we try to stay on topic please?

Thank you.

Guest busdriver1
13 hours ago, NewBiz said:

That's right Planner 1 I do prefer the derelict factory. I would love to see the Council's rationale when they approve the 300 or so houses (which let's be honest, they're going to do despite huge opposition from local people, peak Park, CPRE, and others) and how it marries up with their announcement of a climate change emergency. I suspect it will be entertaining, but ultimately will see the destruction of a beautiful valley, treasured by 1000's and be an utter disgrace. 

As for where else i think the Council should build, well perhaps take a rein check anyway given the current economic climate, but if there is still a need for housing why not start with the acres and acres of wasteland stretching from Leppings lane to virtually town, all served by public transport, cycle lanes and much of it within very easy walking distance of town, railway station, bus interchange, tram etc etc?

I just have to add that if the Council really is so naive as to think that because a development has a 'proposed' bike shed and a  proposed 'working hub' whatever that is, that that means the resident will 'work from home and cycle to the shops' then they really should not be left in charge of such area blighting decisions

We need to get real here. We are talking about SCC / SRC or whatever title they are giving themselves here. 

They are right, they are perfect, they never get anything wrong hence they never need to back down or appologise. 

We mere mortals need to look on in awe as we are allowed to witness the doings of such a god like body who know what we want, spend OUR cash wisely in difficult times, would never take cash just because its there and then trump up some scheme in a hurry to use it on. Any money not spent wisely is just attributed to "Government grants" or similar. Because that is not our money is it? They just shook the money tree to get that didn't they?

Developers the world over use the phrase "proposed" in their planning applications to make their application look other than what it is and in the full knowledge that they will not be held to account by the "politicians" who supported their application. 

The local government model in this country is broken beyond repair.

The only good thing to come out of this thread is the news that Wakefield council have yet to remove their inability to admit they got it wrong. I suspect that may change though

4 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

We need to get real here. We are talking about SCC / SRC or whatever title they are giving themselves here. 

They are right, they are perfect, they never get anything wrong hence they never need to back down or appologise. 

We mere mortals need to look on in awe as we are allowed to witness the doings of such a god like body who know what we want, spend OUR cash wisely in difficult times, would never take cash just because its there and then trump up some scheme in a hurry to use it on. Any money not spent wisely is just attributed to "Government grants" or similar. Because that is not our money is it? They just shook the money tree to get that didn't they?

Developers the world over use the phrase "proposed" in their planning applications to make their application look other than what it is and in the full knowledge that they will not be held to account by the "politicians" who supported their application. 

The local government model in this country is broken beyond repair.

The only good thing to come out of this thread is the news that Wakefield council have yet to remove their inability to admit they got it wrong. I suspect that may change though

This is exactly why decisions are taken by elected politicians. No matter what they do, or propose to do, some people will disagree.

There has to be a way of making decisions as we can’t have a ballot every time a decision is needed.

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

This is exactly why decisions are taken by elected politicians. No matter what they do, or propose to do, some people will disagree.

There has to be a way of making decisions as we can’t have a ballot every time a decision is needed.

Trouble is we dont get a vote on the full time officers that advise them from their job for life role do we ?

11 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Trouble is we dont get a vote on the full time officers that advise them from their job for life role do we ?

With over 7000 employees, that would be a lot of votes.

There are no jobs for life anymore. They will get rid of you as soon as it suits them or the money runs out.

So one would hope that any available money would be spent on a well planned and beneficial scheme ,or not be spent at all.

31 minutes ago, RJRB said:

So one would hope that any available money would be spent on a well planned and beneficial scheme ,or not be spent at all.

Differing people will have different views on how well planned or beneficial any scheme might be. 

As has been mentioned before, the Council would have been criticised if they had not bid for and used the available money and then some people won’t be happy with how they’ve used it. Someone will always criticise, because it’s a game of opinions.

I had to go to the Hillsborough area today & because of all of what's been said on here, I got my wife to run me down there & drop me off avoiding Shalesmoor.  I decided to get the tram back into town. 

Jump on the tram at Hillsborough, fantastic! Speeding into the city centre in comfort, no disruption.  This is the future of travel.  Brilliant! 

I say brilliant.  All going well until the tram leaves the Shalesmoor stop outside the Wellington pub.   There am I looking at the traffic, (by no means heavy), trying to get along Penistone Rd to Hillsborough, all concertinered, bumper to bumper, squeezed into one lane with traffic trying to merge from along Shalesmoor & down from Netherthorpe Rd / Hoyle St  while an empty cycle lane sits along side.  

As I've stated the team leaves its Shalesmoor stop.  The back end of the tram had hardly cleared the platform & we come to a stop for a couple of minutes. Why?

Because  about half a dozen vehicles that are travelling down Netherthorpe Rd / Hoyle St are sat in traffic trying to get on to the now single carriageway of Penistone Rd & the tram can't cross the bottom of Hoyle St to make its way up Netherthorpe Rd.  NOTE:  the vehicles had every right to occpy that bit of Hoyle St at that time. 

The tram driver has to rely on the good nature of the drivers to back up slightly, (good job the lights at the bottom of Netherthorpe Rd were at red, holding back even more vehicles), to let the tram through. 

As I've stated, at around 12:30 this afternoon the traffic in the area appeared to be very light but the stupidity of rushing to install this idiotically placed cycle lane not only appears to inconvenience motorists but also passengers travelling on the tram.  I can't believe that this is the first time the tram will have been held up at Shalesmoor? 

Edited by Baron99

It was a rushed installation but it looks as though despite being a total failure the powers that be are determined to make us suffer needlessly for a few weeks .

One being opened up in attercliffe this weekend 😪

10 hours ago, ricgem2002 said:

One being opened up in attercliffe this weekend 😪

I hope they need the barriers currently in use at Shalesmoor