Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

3 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

There still remains the very annoying section with the gate that is locked every day very early in the evening, for what reasons I cannot imagine. It would be good if that could be removed.

Because the land it runs on is privately owned and the company who own it had concerns about the security of expensive metals stored on the adjacent site, so the Trust who built the walk had to provide a security fence and allow the closure of that stretch from 5pm.

Theres a booklet about the history of the Five Weirs Walk which explains it: http://btckstorage.blob.core.windows.net/site582/Five_Weirs_Walks_LR.pdf

40 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The idea of a pedestrianised area is for it to be free of traffic of all types, so not safe in my opinion, but you should give the council your ideas as they are asking where to put more pop up cycle lanes, see: https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/sheffield-get-more-pop-cycle-lanes-under-bike-friendly-drive-where-should-they-be-2919896

I have read the article but cannot see any invitation for suggestions from the council.

No doubt I could try a different approach.

There are some ideas which to my mind would be feasible,and several which I would not.

Ecclesall Road?

Now that would put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Once again an arterial road with many businesses dependent on customers.

Even if it were to be made a clearway then businesses would be up in arms.

15 hours ago, Tony said:

I occasionally have meetings in Attercliffe that I ride to so I use Attercliffe Rd but it's not for the squeamish. Here's looking forward to it being made safer for everyone, including motorists.

The idea of using anything but the fastest and most direct road route doesn't enter my mind. Neither do kingfishers or sand martins. We really need highway planners and councillors to understand very very clearly that cycle journeys are not leisure where time doesn't matter - it's work, wealth creation, job generation and absolutely no different to when I drive. 

If it's no different to when you drive, then you can expect the road planners to send you on the most convoluted detour they can come up with for no discernible reason, just like they do with cars.

Chris Boardman's point is a very important thing to get across. Most people support active travel so a shouty minority should not be setting policy and dictating that more money is spent on facilitating motoring instead of cycling, walking, running and even scootering in and between our villages, towns and cities.

For the councillors who I know are reading this thread remember that active travel is a vote winner. Please do everything you can to build the infrastructure network to support it. Stay the course and don't be put off by the bumps (and potholes) in the road. Be brave and everyone  will get the rewards, including you.

On 20/07/2020 at 10:20, Planner1 said:

The same as on any constrained section of carriageway at busy times, if the drivers can't sort it out themselves,  the police get involved to direct traffic, get recovery to the stranded vehicle and get it removed. The Police work closely with the Council and their control room can access the Council's traffic cameras, so they can see the wider picture and direct officers as necessary.

You can get the same issue at roadworks or other constrained points on the network.

If the Police or emergency services had a problem with the layout at Shalesmoor, they would have told the Council (they are statutory consultees). The Cabinet Member responsible for this scheme recently addressed this point in a statement , he said they had not received any complaints from the emergency services. 

Thanks for confirming that the planned constraining of this busy carriageway will in the event of a breakdown cause much congestion and pollution and probably increased demand on the emergency services and may now become a problem similar to other constrained carriageways or carriageways with roadworks except that roadworks are temporary.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Chris Boardman's point is a very important thing to get across. Most people support active travel so a shouty minority should not be setting policy and dictating that more money is spent on facilitating motoring instead of cycling, walking, running and even scootering in and between our villages, towns and cities.

For the councillors who I know are reading this thread remember that active travel is a vote winner. Please do everything you can to build the infrastructure network to support it. Stay the course and don't be put off by the bumps (and potholes) in the road. Be brave and everyone  will get the rewards, including you.

Be wary of such statements.

The theory and the practise are totally different.

NIMBYism is a powerful force .

Most people agree that we need more affordable housing,until an estate is built next to your garden.

Yes in general measures to encourage walking and cycling sound great but..........?

Also his numbers do not seem to check out as regards this particular scheme .

Edited by RJRB

6 hours ago, Tony said:

Remember counsellors, getting rid of roads and replacing them with cycle lanes is a vote winner, so close all the roads in Sheffield and replace them with cycle lanes and sit back in the sure and certain knowledge that a few hundred cyclists will vote for you.

BTW, the far more overwhelming number of car drivers wont, neither will the business owners that have to close because of the inability to get deliveries or customers.

Still, thats a price worth paying isnt it for a few cyclists to ride to work.(that may no longer exist)

3 minutes ago, alchemist said:

Remember counsellors, getting rid of roads and replacing them with cycle lanes is a vote winner, so close all the roads in Sheffield and replace them with cycle lanes and sit back in the sure and certain knowledge that a few hundred cyclists will vote for you.

BTW, the far more overwhelming number of car drivers wont, neither will the business owners that have to close because of the inability to get deliveries or customers.

Still, thats a price worth paying isnt it for a few cyclists to ride to work.(that may no longer exist)

The problem is that many people will not vote at all and so their relative popularity is all that matters.

Minority pressure groups can seem to represent a “popular” view.

Going back to the Chris Boardman tweet if you were to ask all motorists if they would prefer less traffic on the roads I am sure that the majority would say yes.

Then ask them if they will give up their own vehicle and I doubt that there would be many takers.

1 hour ago, alchemist said:

A lot of car drivers also cycle and have a much greater grasp of the issues than most drivers who don't- especially an understanding of how hostile and dangerous Sheffields roads currently are to cyclists.

1 hour ago, alchemist said:

...neither will the business owners that have to close because of the inability to get deliveries or customers.

That's zero.

Edited by onewheeldave

1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

A lot of car drivers also cycle and have a much greater grasp of the issues than most drivers who don't- especially an understanding of how hostile and dangerous Sheffields roads currently are to cyclists.

That's zero.

Roads are dangerous places.

Cyclists are a vulnerable method of transport.

Pedestrians are vulnerable when crossing the roads.

Sheffield is no different to most towns or cities now that many road surfaces have been improved.

Unfortunately you cannot provide all direct routes that radiate from the city centre with adequate cycle lanes so you end up with the mish mash that we have that suits nobody.

However as I said previously when I used to cycle either by myself or with my 9 and 11 year old I had no problem finding leisure routes where I felt safe.

10 hours ago, WasThatWise said:

Thanks for confirming that the planned constraining of this busy carriageway will in the event of a breakdown cause much congestion and pollution and probably increased demand on the emergency services and may now become a problem similar to other constrained carriageways or carriageways with roadworks except that roadworks are temporary.

This cycle lane is temporary.....