Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

4 hours ago, Planner1 said:

You can use the five weirs walk from Wicker to Meadowhall

Poor attempt at sarcasm

Ikea provide cargo bikes in some countries, see: https://momentummag.com/ikea-cargo-bike/

You can also hire an electric cargo bike in Sheffield:https://s-cargo.co.uk/hire-a-cargo-bike/

Is the Five Weirs  walk route a commuter route or a leisure route as far as  cyclists are concerned.

Cargo bikes.eh.

Lets see if IKEA Sheffield take up this idea.

You've made a good point. The Five Weirs Walk is obviously a walk, at best a leisure ride. 

Cyclists like to commute in the shortest time possible just like motorists so cycle routes need to be as direct as roads. The existing road network is the best and only place to put them for now. Once there is a safe, continuous and effective commuting cycle network a few leisure routes can be designed in the prettier places.

I like the idea of hiring a cargo bike,but then would have to commute to collect and return to base.

Oh ,I can have it delivered and collected, I assume by motor vehicle.

Great,what have we achieved there.

More weak sarcasm.

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

You've made a good point. The Five Weirs Walk is obviously a walk, at best a leisure ride. 

Cyclists like to commute in the shortest time possible just like motorists so cycle routes need to be as direct as roads. The existing road network is the best and only place to put them for now. Once there is a safe, continuous and effective commuting cycle network a few leisure routes can be designed in the prettier places.

I suppose that’s the point that I was making in particular about Shalesmoor.

It is a loop away from the city centre designed to keep cars away from the central area.

Commuting cyclists have options to take direct routes which are not available to motorists and will pick their way on pavements,underpasses.across roads ,through car parks etc.

This is not a criticism just a fact of life.

They are more akin to pedestrians than motor vehicles in city centres.

Which is why I keep suggesting a route for cyclists through rather than round the city.

I drove through this absolute joke of a system this afternoon towards hillsborough and saw 4 cyclists all of them riding on the footpath, while cars are queing to get accross the roundabout.

How far is this idiotic system going towards hillsborough?

46 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Is the Five Weirs  walk route a commuter route or a leisure route as far as  cyclists are concerned.

Unfortunately the Five Weirs walk has a lot of problems. It is not well marked, it took me many attempts before I could traverse it without getting hopelessly lost and ending up on various industrial roads.

It  often has sections closed off- this adds to the previous problem because once you've come off it, trying to work out how to get back on at the next section is often impossible.

One section has a gate, which is locked shut at, I believe 5pm every day!

After the last lot of floods, a large section was washed away and, as far as I know, is still unrepaired and completely closed off. 

It is a shame as it is potentially a very good idea, but the reality does not match up to the potential.

When it is fully open it is good as both a leisure ride, and as a commute- certainly as a route from the Wicker to Attercliffe, as the roads there are not cycle friendly- too many fast moving cars/lorries whizzing by.

Edited by onewheeldave

43 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I like the idea of hiring a cargo bike,but then would have to commute to collect and return to base.

Which you could do by bike

9 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Unfortunately the Five Weirs walk has a lot of problems. It is not well marked, it took me many attempts before I could traverse it without getting hopelessly lost and ending up on various industrial roads.

It  often has sections closed off- this adds to the previous problem because once you've come off it, trying to work out how to get back on at the next section is often impossible.

One section has a gate, which is locked shut at, I believe 5pm every day!

After the last lot of floods, a large section was washed away and, as far as I know, is still unrepaired and completely closed off. 

It is a shame as it is potentially a very good idea, but the reality does not match up to the potential.

It's a very pleasant ride once you know the way. You can check out the kingfishers and sand martins and lots of other wildlife. Much more pleasant than battling the traffic.

I understood that SCC were about to introduce a cycle lane on Attercliffe Rd as an alternative route for the closure on the Five Weirs, while it is repaired

You can also use the canal towpath out from the Canal Basin, which is again a pleasant route

7 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

It's a very pleasant ride once you know the way. You can check out the kingfishers and sand martins and lots of other wildlife. Much more pleasant than battling the traffic.

I understood that SCC were about to introduce a cycle lane on Attercliffe Rd as an alternative route for the closure on the Five Weirs, while it is repaired

You can also use the canal towpath out from the Canal Basin, which is again a pleasant route

There still remains the very annoying section with the gate that is locked every day very early in the evening, for what reasons I cannot imagine. It would be good if that could be removed.

18 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Which you could do by bike

How do you know?

I am trying to be pragmatic 

Any commuter cycle route should fulfil a purpose in getting people from their homes to their places of work or study.

I put forward the through routes across the city centre ,much of which is pedestrianised,but could also accommodate a direct cycle  route along The Moor,Fargate,and numerous side streets.

Why not?

This is why Shalesmoor is a waste of time.

It is of little use to commuting or leisure cyclists.

Edited by RJRB

9 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

I occasionally have meetings in Attercliffe that I ride to so I use Attercliffe Rd but it's not for the squeamish. Here's looking forward to it being made safer for everyone, including motorists.

The idea of using anything but the fastest and most direct road route doesn't enter my mind. Neither do kingfishers or sand martins. We really need highway planners and councillors to understand very very clearly that cycle journeys are not leisure where time doesn't matter - it's work, wealth creation, job generation and absolutely no different to when I drive. 

3 hours ago, RJRB said:

I put forward the through routes across the city centre ,much of which is pedestrianised,but could also accommodate a direct cycle  route along The Moor,Fargate,and numerous side streets.

Why not

The idea of a pedestrianised area is for it to be free of traffic of all types, so not safe in my opinion, but you should give the council your ideas as they are asking where to put more pop up cycle lanes, see: https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/sheffield-get-more-pop-cycle-lanes-under-bike-friendly-drive-where-should-they-be-2919896

2 hours ago, Tony said:

The idea of using anything but the fastest and most direct road route doesn't enter my mind. Neither do kingfishers or sand martins. We really need highway planners and councillors to understand very very clearly that cycle journeys are not leisure where time doesn't matter - it's work, wealth creation, job generation and absolutely no different to when I drive. 

Personally, on that route, I’d go the quieter and more scenic way and allow  5 mins longer for the journey, but on other routes I’d go for most direct. Planners  and engineers understand very well that many experienced cyclists just want to get from A to B by shortest fastest route.