Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

23 hours ago, Tony said:

The point about the ambulance is that it couldn't get into the lane because of temporary barriers. That will change when the cycle lane is made permanent and the temporary barriers are removed.

Something like this.

Rediweld-Greenwich-Wand-Orca-L.jpg

Or this maybe

171003_separador-zebra-plastico-reciclad

The ambulance argument is a red herring once a proper permanent solution has been installed. It is not worth repeating as a sensible argument against the cycle lane. 

The bottom photo is most informative Tony. I note it is no wider than the existing footways around Shalesmoor and also not a full traffic lane width. It also looks to be  two way, with each cycle lane no wider than a typical UK one. There are also somewhere between 2 to 3 times the number of cyclists using it than the one at Shalesmoor. So why the farce at Shalesmoor has to take up a full lane is still an unanswered question. By SCC or their apologists.

22 hours ago, RJRB said:

No the best argument remains that it is an arterial road that cars use and cyclists don’t and never will in any numbers.

The second best argument is that the “boom “in cycling is very much the popularity of leisure cycling and will never be other than a minority option for commuters.

Plenty of cyclists out and about at weekends and evenings on a fine day heading out into the countryside.

Not so many heading out on their way to work or to do the weekly shopping,and certainly not if it’s raining.

The ambulance argument is a red herring,unless you are in it.

A broken down car in a single carriageway is just one of those things.

Being a lorry or a trades vehicle being needlessly delayed is just a minor inconvenience.

Most of the cycle lanes in Sheffield are just tokenism.Having put them in place they are not used or maintained,but they give a nod to some idealistic rubbish from the mandarins.

If cyclists are not competent or confident enough to use public roads then don’t use

them.I did manage this skill when I was 11 onwards ,not that I ever chose to head into town and preferably kept away from the bus and old tram routes.

The majority of cyclists still do but there are a fanatical few who wish to dis invent both the wheel and the IC engine.

Get real

Where's the "Like" button? Or the "Hammer, nail, head" button.

Edited by Weredoomed

1 hour ago, rcowlish said:
  • Having used the new lane and roads as both car driver and cyclist i can confirm it fails both!  The cars are squished into the existing lanes  with motorists  zigzagging to get to where they need to go. Its a ring  road ..traffic is supposed to flow but instead there are long queues and therefore more air pollution as engines idle and is probably noisier. I wouldnt want to be in any of the surrounding flats.
  • As a cyclist its even worse! From Hillsborough into town you can cross penistone road and go towards town in realative safety on the exisiting bike lane on the pavement or take langsett road where the lanes cross footpaths and stop and start but again not battling such busy traffic. But then you reach the new lanes which  arent signed, dont have obvious ways into and out of the barriers and then just stop randomly.
  • Coming back from town they  cross the roundabout at Shalesmoor  which is hair raising and  again just peter out along the A61. If you make it into Hillsborough( from Sheffield college) these old bike lanes abruptly stop on the wrong side of a blind  corner! 
  • I wonder if anyone in planning has actually tried riding along these lanes old or new...i suspect its the same people who redesigned the traffic lights at the other end of Penistone Road near Sainsburys and i suspect the answer is no!

Oh hush now, you're criticising SCC and we can't be having that. Regardless of the fact you're spot on. Never mind, someone will be along shortly to tell you you're wrong. Unlike SCC who never are. Allegedly.

22 hours ago, RJRB said:

Don’t have to be very creative to see the blindingly obvious.

It seems to be a very few cyclists who are being creative in suggesting that this stretch of road is so important to them.

Oh its VITALLY important to them.  HUNDREDS of cyclists use it every day to ride back and forth

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/sheffield-get-more-pop-cycle-lanes-under-bike-friendly-drive-where-should-they-be-2919896

So the rush is on to get hold of the Government money and to spend it.

Where do you commuting cyclists need the lanes.

The Attercliffe corridor to Rotherham seems to have some possibilities as there are alternative routes.

Mind you I say that without particularly needing to go that way myself very often.

I still favour Moorfoot to Commercial St. to bring all the cyclists back to the city centr shops and to help all the young people who live in and near the city centre.

17 minutes ago, RJRB said:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/sheffield-get-more-pop-cycle-lanes-under-bike-friendly-drive-where-should-they-be-2919896

So the rush is on to get hold of the Government money and to spend it.

Where do you commuting cyclists need the lanes.

The Attercliffe corridor to Rotherham seems to have some possibilities as there are alternative routes.

Mind you I say that without particularly needing to go that way myself very often.

I still favour Moorfoot to Commercial St. to bring all the cyclists back to the city centr shops and to help all the young people who live in and near the city centre.

The Sheffield to Rotherham via Attercliffe route has already secured funding. It's tied in with the 2 new tram stops at Parkgate Park & Ride (not the shopping centre) and Magna/Templeborough which will also have a Park & Ride. 

Info: http://www.rothbiz.co.uk/2020/06/news-7385-millions-for-rotherham.html

News: Millions for Rotherham transport schemes at Parkgate, AMP and Templeborough

£46m is set to be spent on transport projects to reduce journey times, cut congestion, improve punctuality and reliability, and bring about a wide range of benefits associated with active travel in Rotherham.

Congested locations such as Parkgate and key economic growth areas such as the Advanced Manufacturing Park (AMP) are in line for millions.

Last year, the Sheffield City Region (SCR) put forward a substantial bid to the Government's Transforming Cities Fund to back its new transport strategy. The Budget in March showed that the SCR will receive £166m. Now meeting papers show how much cash has been earmarked for the approved projects.

The Rotherham projects:

A6178 Sheffield Road On-road, fully segregated cycle lane; around 2.2km as segregated from Blackburn Meadows Way to Ickles then around 1km segregated from Ickles to the Rotherham town centre £5.57m

A631 Rotherham to Maltby Bus Corridor Around 1.2km bus lane along A631 Rotherham Road, Maltby towards M18 J1 with bus priority pre-signals £2.25m

Waverley / Advanced Manufacturing Park (AMP) to the town centre A fully segregated cycle route along the A631 Bawtry Road between Brinsworth and Tinsley / Meadowhall (includes Wood Lane) £1.5m

Advanced Manufacturing Innovation District to Sheffield Three schemes: Development of core active travel route connecting city centre to AMP corridor, including spur to Olympic Legacy Park (£10.25m); Development of core active travel route linking Meadowhall with Rotherham Council's proposals on Sheffield Road (£2.8m); Bus priority measures through Attercliffe, Darnall and around Meadowhall (£3.7m) £16.75m

Magna Tram Train Stop A new stop on the Tram-Train line at Magna with associated [150 space] park and ride facility £5.4m

Manvers Way Provision of safe, direct attractive walking and cycling route, including crossings between Manvers Way and Wath town centre £0.4m

Parkgate Three schemes: a new access into the Parkgate Shopping Centre from Aldwarke Lane (£5.13m); widening the southern entry and exit to the five arm Taylors Lane roundabout to improve capacity (£3.0925m); A 300 space Park and Ride facility for the Tram Train stop at Parkgate (£3.33m) £11.55m

Doncaster Road, Dalton Extending the two traffic lanes exiting the roundabout on the A630 Doncaster Road towards Dalton by around 250m £1.2m

Rotherham town centre Two projects: Contribution to the replacement of the existing footbridge between the Forge Island development and Corporation Street (£1m); Cycle infrastructure improvements along Fredrick Street to provide a bi-directional cross town-centre link (£0.4m) £1.4m

In addition to these projects funded via the Transforming Cities Fund, a £42m project is planned to widen the Parkway in Rotherham and millions of pounds worth of transport improvements are being devised to support the large housing development proposed for Bassingthorpe Farm. Work is also ongoing to find further was to address connectivity issues around the AMP and Waverley development.

Seems to be mainly projects related to within the Rotherham boundaries.

Anything for say the A6178 from The Wicker toward the M1.

Handy for picking up the flat packs from IKEA.

Edited by RJRB

8 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Seems to be mainly projects related to within the Rotherham boundaries.

It's included here: Advanced Manufacturing Innovation District to Sheffield Three schemes: Development of core active travel route connecting city centre to AMP corridor, including spur to Olympic Legacy Park (£10.25m); Development of core active travel route linking Meadowhall with Rotherham Council's proposals on Sheffield Road (£2.8m); Bus priority measures through Attercliffe, Darnall and around Meadowhall (£3.7m) £16.75m

17 minutes ago, RJRB said:

You can use the five weirs walk from Wicker to Meadowhall

18 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Poor attempt at sarcasm

Ikea provide cargo bikes in some countries, see: https://momentummag.com/ikea-cargo-bike/

You can also hire an electric cargo bike in Sheffield:https://s-cargo.co.uk/hire-a-cargo-bike/

Yet more posts have had to be removed. There have been more than enough warnings about personal comments and targeting and harassing other members.

Also, if anyone has any questions about moderation please raise them at the Helpdesk.

Thank you.

I had cause to use this marvellous bit of engineering today and I was ASTOUNDED to see the cycle lane packed with cyclists, so packed indeed that I could not see the actual road surface for them

4 minutes ago, alchemist said:

I had cause to use this marvellous bit of engineering today and I was ASTOUNDED to see the cycle lane packed with cyclists, so packed indeed that I could not see the actual road surface for them

In that case, they obviously need more space - close the road to motorised transport in its entirety.🤣

On 07/07/2020 at 12:18, Planner1 said:

Drivers stuck in a queue have the opportunity to think whether they could have walked or cycled quicker.

i go to work along Penistone road, in my car to Middlewood road  where I work in a mental health unit, I suffer with arthritis and can neither walk nor ride a bike for very long at all ,buses do not go where i need to be  and the tram doesnt at my end, i would love to be able to walk or cycle, instead now I have to take my life in my hands as when the road narrows all of a sudden  cars not knowing this is going to happen, suddenly swerve in to my lane,I have being  almost hit twice on my way to work, and I have to work,  thanks scc