Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

You know the council.  Quick to implement something.  Slow to admit defeat and back down.

Anyway, quite an interesting little nugget in the article....   "“If congestion passes the level that we have identified as critical, we will consider removing it early"

So there we go folks.  You know what to do.    Lets flood it. Cause mayhem.  Back up the queue all the way back to Rotherham  and they will prioritise its removal. Time to really stick two fingers up at the "Active Travel Commissioner" which nobody asked for. 

I doubt if you could find enough people on SF to cause a queue back to Corporation Street, never mind Rotherham 😎

Edited by Longcol

On 14/07/2020 at 12:39, Tony said:

Bring me solutions not problems.

I think you'll find that's what we pay those allegedly highly-skilled* people SCC to do.

Although they've got it mixed up and have brought us a problem at Shalesmoor, rather than a solution.

*Evidence of their actual skill level seems to be somewhat adrift from "highly".

4 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

I'd say cycling on pavements is fine if the cyclist is doing so with due care and attention and I believe some years back the govt did issue instructions to police forces that this was the case.

Riding on pavements at speed is not OK.

One reason that cyclists do ride on pavements is because the road alongside is not safe, due to reckless driving by motorists, many of whom break the highway code by passing cyclists with insufficient space- this is very common and very dangerous.

On the stretch of road in question [Shalesmoor] the road is not safe for cyclists, so of course many would use the pavement. 

Thank you for giving car drivers, busses, lorries, vans and motorbikers permission to drive along footways if they so choose to with due care and attention. Very generous of you.

Presumably the cyclists who go the wrong way down one way streets also make it OK for motorised vehicles to do the same whenever they choose?

A gentleman on a bicycle joined the A61 from the junction of Gibraltar Street this morning at around 7am.
He rode along the pavement all the way to the Shalesmoor roundabout keeping the cycle lane to his right, weaving past lamp posts and people until he reached the crossing before the roundabout where he had an altercation with a man 'legally' walking along the pavement.
After a few moments of them both shouting and gesticulating the man on the bicycle then went over the crossing to the opposite side of the road, rejoined the pavement and cycled along the pavement in the direction of Rutland Road.
Cyclists are NOT using the cycle lane and he is not the first person i've seen in the last week or so doing this !
A total waste of time and not of any use to persons such as myself travelling from the South of Rotherham to the Hillsborough area as part of my daily commute.
I cannot walk that distance and because of ill health certainly can't cycle that distance.

2 hours ago, Hayley1 said:

The pavements along that stretch of road are really wide and I see only a handful of pedestrians using them. If they have to widen the cycle lane, why on earth would they not have made the pavements slightly narrower on each side and left the new increased capacity for the vehicles that use this vital stretch! 

In the few weeks we had of using the extra lanes, the exhaust fumes will have decreased because the vehicles will have passed through quicker.

Now that we're down to single land traffic, more fumes will be increased immensely...which then will mean we have no chance of meeting the government's rules on gasses....that means the council will make the plans even tighter, ending up with the charges being enforced on every private vehicle.

Like many commuters, I have little choice but to use this road. I cannot possibly ride a bike to my workplace for reasons I choose not to share with strangers, and while I would dearly love an electric car, they are way out of my price range.

There is a place for both. It just needs sensible planning rather that shooting from the hip.

Spot on Hayley1

Edited by darylslinn

Pedestrians and cyclists sharing pavements don’t mix. whilst walking to the tram stop I swerved to avoid a puddle and an unheard cyclist ran into me, he blamed me for the accident and damage to his bike

before riding off with no way of identifying him or the bike.  The injury I sustained took several weeks of inpatient and outpatient treatment. On another occasion a young female cyclist going hell for leather plowed into a group of us who’d been forced to stop at a minor junction by a car reversing. A couple of people had minor injuries but the cyclist explained she didn’t feel safe riding on the road- it didn’t feel particularly safe being a pedestrian either. The sooner cyclists have designated cycle routes through the main city thorough fares the better 

If cyclists choose to/really must cycle on the pavement they should (if not at all times then certainly on approaching / passing a pedestrian) travel at no more than 3mph. People walking on pavements should not have to be aware of /make allowances for vehicles travelling at 10mph+

The scheme under discussion is still rubbish though.

9 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

With new increased capacity there would only be a short term reduction in congestion and therefore fumes; long term, increasing road capacity results in more cars than before, therefore more congestion and more fumes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_demand

There will be a huge increase on the amount of pollution around Firth Park etc. as a result of this ill thought out plan as more people will come off junction 34 to get to Hillsborough and up to Wisewood, Stannington etc.  Which to my mind is certainly worse as we drivers will then be passing schools, homes, residential homes etc.  

9 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

Of course. But it's OK for cyclists to ride responsibly on pavements especially if the they judge the road to be too dangerous to cycle on, as stated in the Home Office guideance. 

Do you want to comment on motorists giving insufficient room when passing cyclists?- that's against the Highway code, you don't seem to be as concerned with that, even though it's a main reason cyclists end up on the pavements.

That would be down to the individual cyclists to take action.  As far as I can see these days, many of them wear helmet cameras & so if they feel they have been cut-up; squeezed into the gutter; suffered due to poor driving by  motorists or generally abused on the roads, they have the evidence to show the police, including the vehicle registration. 

Have any kind of confrontation with a cyclist riding on the pavement, like I did a few weeks ago, (bear in mind we're not talking usually walking along pavements next to major roads stacked with traffic), while walking my dog, where I refused to back down, (fortunately I'm a big fella, not easily intimidated), the result is usually the cyclist ends up in their rightful place, back on the road for 50m of so until they're well out of my way & they believe they're safe, then I usually cop for 'the rods' & a volley of abuse.   Nice. 

Such abuse only confirms further to me that such cyclists KNOW they're in the wrong for cycling on the pavement in the first place & I'm right. 

Do you know, I might just buy a cycle helmet with a camera attached so I can wear it when I take the dog out for a walk,. so I can identify & report cyclists to the authorities. 

I'm looking for a new hobby. 

Edited by Baron99

9 hours ago, Weredoomed said:

I think you'll find that's what we pay those allegedly highly-skilled* people SCC to do.

Although they've got it mixed up and have brought us a problem at Shalesmoor, rather than a solution.

*Evidence of their actual skill level seems to be somewhat adrift from "highly".

Thank you for giving car drivers, busses, lorries, vans and motorbikers permission to drive along footways if they so choose to with due care and attention. Very generous of you.

Presumably the cyclists who go the wrong way down one way streets also make it OK for motorised vehicles to do the same whenever they choose?

They park  cars and vans three quarters of their width on pavements near us I  have to go on the road with my bike  to get pass as do lasses with prams and those with invalid carts .

Edited by Parkside

1 minute ago, Parkside said:

They park three quarters of their width on pavements near us I  have to go on the road with my bike  to get pass as do lasses with prams and those with invalid carts .

Mobility scooters.

13 hours ago, Jen17 said:

Maybe a good idea to remind cyclists that red traffic lights also apply to them as well as motorists.

A red light to many cyclists is like a crucifix to a vampire.  They seem to be so terrified by the light that it forces many of them to bounce on to the pavement, cut corners & cut out junctions, many doing this at speed. 

Of course this is an illegal manoeuvre but unless there's any police in the vacinity, no fine will be issued.  Even if a junction is covered by a camera & someone puts in a complaint, police aren't going to trawl through cctv to try & identify an what in most cases would be, an unidentifiable cyclist. 

Edited by Baron99

13 hours ago, Parkside said:

And amber gamblers are a thing of the past , now its two or even three cars  speeding through at earl y red .

The big give-away on phone use in cars ( who takes notice of the law on that ) is the person in front of you continuously glancing down to their lap or passenger seat its obvious , I even saw a van driver texting while holding his phone on top of his steering wheel the other day , no wonder cyclists need protecting . mind you I bet no one on here does it do they !!!.

And of course cyclists DONT use their mobiles whilst riding do they?  I must mention it to the idiot I saw the other day on Meadowhall road riding along looking at his mobile with no hands whatsoever on the handle bars.  I know, thats a rarity, before the cyclist apologists start chiming in!!

12 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I would agree.  My last two cars -neither of which were premium have all had connectivity with mobile phones. 

I would have thought it common place for most vehicles nowadays.

Both my car AND my sat nav connect to my phone.  God knows what will happen if someone rang me and they both fight for the call!!!! 

8 hours ago, catmiss said:

Pedestrians and cyclists sharing pavements don’t mix. whilst walking to the tram stop I swerved to avoid a puddle and an unheard cyclist ran into me, he blamed me for the accident and damage to his bike

before riding off with no way of identifying him or the bike.  The injury I sustained took several weeks of inpatient and outpatient treatment. On another occasion a young female cyclist going hell for leather plowed into a group of us who’d been forced to stop at a minor junction by a car reversing. A couple of people had minor injuries but the cyclist explained she didn’t feel safe riding on the road- it didn’t feel particularly safe being a pedestrian either. The sooner cyclists have designated cycle routes through the main city thorough fares the better 

That does seem to be the problem, cyclists who feel that the road is dangerous for them decide to pass on the problem to pedestrians who have nowhere to go!!! 

If you want to ride at road speeds ride on the road, if you want to use the footpath then go at the same speed as the pedestrians.  Its not THAT difficult!!!!

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

That would be down to the individual cyclists to take action.  As far as I can see these days, many of them wear helmet cameras & so if they feel they have been cut-up; squeezed into the gutter; suffered due to poor driving by  motorists or generally abused on the roads, they have the evidence to show the police, including the vehicle registration. 

Have any kind of confrontation with a cyclist riding on the pavement, like I did a few weeks ago, (bear in mind we're not talking usually walking along pavements next to major roads stacked with traffic), while walking my dog, where I refused to back down, (fortunately I'm a big fella, not easily intimidated), the result is usually the cyclist ends up in their rightful place, back on the road for 50m of so until they're well out of my way & they believe they're safe, then I usually cop for 'the rods' & a volley of abuse.   Nice. 

Such abuse only confirms further to me that such cyclists KNOW they're in the wrong for cycling on the pavement in the first place & I'm right. 

Do you know, I might just buy a cycle helmet with a camera attached so I can wear it when I take the dog out for a walk,. so I can identify & report cyclists to the authorities. 

I'm looking for a new hobby. 

But you wont be able to identify them because they know that they can hide their attitude behind anonymity.  Which is why all of the cycle apologists come up with stupid objections to a registration scheme which will result in them not being able to hide any longer