Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

3 hours ago, carosio said:

What's its range (when peddling where possible) and how long to charge?

Range on fairly level ground is 50 or 60 miles, if I put a little pedalling effort in.  That's improved by about 10 miles from when I first got it as I've got a bit fitter, without really noticing :) - it'll probably get better yet.

The range comes down as you do more uphill riding, but will still let me have a good 30 mile run around the Peak District without getting short of breath, and still probably got 10 miles left in the battery.

Range is affected by many factors - battery size, rider's weight, hilly or level terrain, how much effort the rider puts in.

1 hour ago, covfeffe said:

A modest increase in young and relatively fit people may take cycling up but most other people won't so take your head out of the clouds  and get real.

I've just returned to cycling after 20-odd years.  I'm in my 60s, overweight and unfit.  I've now lost weight, feel fitter and better, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  You're right, cycling won't suit everyone, nor all lifestyles, but negativity won't encourage anyone.

1 hour ago, covfeffe said:

If it's such viable and easy option, then why aren't much more people just naturally doing it off their own backs? why the need to force people into it?

A modest increase in young and relatively fit people may take cycling up but most other people won't so take your head out of the clouds  and get real.

By asking people to take up cycling, or even use buses instead of the car, you are asking people to completely restructure their lives, which is a big ask; many people have multiple short journeys to make throughout the day. There was a period when  my day, Monday to Friday, was,  get back from work, then take my partner to her work, then go and get kids from school, one at primary school and the other at secondary school, so three separate locations in a short space of time. Cycling and the buses wouldn't have made this possible. 

I suppose you think that it was foolish of us to build such a life but what is the alternative? either me or my partner shouldn't work? or we shouldn't have had kids? what?? 

multiple short journeys , you have hit the nail on the head , these are the journeys that can be done by  bike or walk . People near us jump in the car to go to the corner shop just half a mile away , these people always seem to be talking about slimming down when in the shop queue loaded down with chocs ,crisps , beer and take away .By riding the bike they can earn their treats .

Edited by Parkside

10 minutes ago, BoroB said:

Seems like cyclists don't want to be identifiable or accountable.

That's an unfair and unfounded generalisation.

2 hours ago, covfeffe said:

If it's such viable and easy option, then why aren't much more people just naturally doing it off their own backs? why the need to force people into it?

Because it’s perceived as being too difficult or not safe, neither of which is true. Or maybe because we bought into car culture and the supposed “freedoms” it gave us, without perhaps understanding the downsides.

Whatever it is, we are very firmly embedded in car culture and it will have to be made more difficult or more expensive to use the car or maybe both, before we consider the alternatives.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

@covfeffe you and your partner aren't being asked to take up cycling. You are being given the opportunity to do it safely. 

I'm not trying to be clever with words, I am just trying to explain that it's a mindset, not a problem. One day you might fancy giving it a go for your own reasons that you can't see today. You might not. Other people will though and with those small changes a shift begins to happen until it seems really normal, like cycling in Amsterdam is now but wasn't in the 1960s. It takes time, please just give it a chance.

So you reckon that by 2080 cycling in Sheffield will be normal and we should just accept chaos for 60 years because cyclists "might" start using the oversized cycle lanes??  Seems reasonable!!

2 hours ago, Tony said:

This is not true and we can put the idea to bed now because the majority of cycling at the moment is on the west side of the city where the big hills happen to be. @Planner1

will be able to confirm this.

So where does the Shalesmoor debacle fit in with this

11 minutes ago, Crissie said:

That's an unfair and unfounded generalisation.

You may think its unfair and unfounded, I think cyclists should be subject to the same rules as other road users who have to pass a test, be insured and have a number plate to identify them.

28 minutes ago, Crissie said:

Range on fairly level ground is 50 or 60 miles, if I put a little pedalling effort in.  That's improved by about 10 miles from when I first got it as I've got a bit fitter, without really noticing :) - it'll probably get better yet.

The range comes down as you do more uphill riding, but will still let me have a good 30 mile run around the Peak District without getting short of breath, and still probably got 10 miles left in the battery.

Range is affected by many factors - battery size, rider's weight, hilly or level terrain, how much effort the rider puts in.

Or this.

I’m glad that you have discovered the joys of cycling and your choice of routes is much better than a busy arterial road.

Edited by RJRB

25 minutes ago, BoroB said:

And we wonder why a lot of cyclists seem to be against a number plate type  system and insurance.

Seems like cyclists don't want to be identifiable or accountable.

There’s no need for such a system. Nowhere else in the world has it, so why should we?

5 minutes ago, BoroB said:

You may think its unfair and unfounded, I think cyclists should be subject to the same rules as other road users who have to pass a test, be insured and have a number plate to identify them.

Do you also think pedestrians should have insurance and carry an identification plate?

You’re entitled to your opinion, but as far as I know there is nowhere in the world that requires this of cyclists. So are you right and everybody in the world is wrong?

15 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

There’s no need for such a system. Nowhere else in the world has it, so why should we?

Do you also think pedestrians should have insurance and carry an identification plate?

You’re entitled to your opinion, but as far as I know there is nowhere in the world that requires this of cyclists. So are you right and everybody in the world is wrong?

I don’t think that they should have plates or even a license.

Some could use a cycling proficiency badge.

Perhaps they should have Sat Nav if they think that this is the route to the city centre from north,south east or west

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

This guide might help you: https://www.tredz.co.uk/help-advice/start-your-cycling-journey/e-bike-hub/what-is-the-range-of-an-electric-bike

You don't look very hard then.

On a daily basis I see drivers who run red lights. You go through a set of signals that are changing to red, look in your rear-view mirror and see another  three cars behind you, who most certainly came through on red.

I also on a daily basis see drivers who drive and park part way or fully on the footway. You see plenty of examples of appalling parking where pedestrians have to go out onto the road to pass.

There are poor road users in all modes of travel.

You won't get any argument from me on this score, even as a motorist & somewhere on SF there's a thread where I've had a moan about inconsiderate parking on pavements.  However, the key word is 'parked'.   Pedestrians may have to go out into the road for a parked car & risk life & limb briefly taking to the road but invariably they also risk life & limb while walking in their rightful place on the pavement by having an inconsiderate, silent cyclist whizzing past while knowingly breaking the law. 

There are a number of arguments that adult cyclists should be registered & insured. Another should be, should adult cyclists be a least certified as capable of riding in traffic & have knowledge of the Highway Code before they're allowed out on the road?  That way they couldn't plead ignorance of the law. 

An adult cyclist who feels the need to have the security of the pedestrian pavement, shouldn't be on a bicycle in the first place.