Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

No one,including cyclists are at all serious about the existing cycling lanes.

Pro the cyclists.There is a perfectly good cycle lane on sections of Rivelin Valley Road but it’s full of debris,as are many others.

Versus

Driving down Penistone Road today the only cyclists that I saw were 2 on the main carriageway,despite there being a really good cycle path on the side of the pavement.

They really do not work very well at all.

3 hours ago, Magneteer said:

The cops were having a hell of a time trying to get through about 3:45. A fire truck would have had no chance. I think it's only a matter of time before the emergency services, complain very loudly and it will just  vanish overnight. No doubt the council will then claim that it was just an experiment for a couple of weeks.

Would it be feasible for emergency services to use the new cycle lane, or is it the start and finish bits that would be the obstacle?

17 minutes ago, carosio said:

Would it be feasible for emergency services to use the new cycle lane, or is it the start and finish bits that would be the obstacle?

I could be wrong here, as I haven't seen the set-up, but if the barriers are the size/type used on motorway work schemes, I am guessing they will have reduced the lane width enough to make difficult for emergency vehicles to get down the 'cycle lane safely - ambulances and especially fire-service vehicles tend to be a bit wider than a car.

14 hours ago, RJRB said:

Pro the cyclists.There is a perfectly good cycle lane on sections of Rivelin Valley Road but it’s full of debris,as are many others.

Versus

Driving down Penistone Road today the only cyclists that I saw were 2 on the main carriageway,despite there being a really good cycle path on the side of the pavement.

I'm not sure that on RVR is meant to be a cycle lane - it's got rumble strip pain to segregate it,  and no indication anywhere in the way of signage that it's supposed to be a cycle lane.  And as you say, it's "sections" - what do you do in between them?!

Cycle lanes are often not fit for purpose  - indeed there used to be a section of Warrington Cycle Campaign's website dedicated to them!  They seem to have stopped updating last year, but it's still entertaining.

http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month

15 hours ago, RJRB said:

Versus

Personally speaking, the most dangerous ones I’ve seen are those on Abbey Lane at Beauchief and Mansfield Road at Frecheville where traffic islands are. Fair enough they’ve painted them to mark the lanes for cyclists just through these obstructions - but they’ve made the lane more narrower than a car - so no one takes any blind bit of notice.

One of the most decent schemes I’ve seen locally is on the A618 Moorgate Road between Rotherham and Rotherham Hospital. Compulsory cycle lane (solid white line) and wide enough it actually gets used. Very rare you see any cars parked up within it either.

On 08/07/2020 at 22:46, RJRB said:

When you say lots,how many do you reckon as a proportion of the work force.

I worked in a company employing a few hundred and one person occasionally used a bike if the weather was nice.

How many bikes do you see secured at the supermarket as people go shopping.

What is the demand for bike racks.

How many kids cycle to school.

You are advancing an argument on the flimsiest of evidence.

I know Tebbit said get on your bike to find work,but I think he was speaking figuratively.

In reality it’s hard for your average tradesman to carrythe tools of his trade in a pannier,and he can’t make many calls in a day.

Even though I am a cyclist tend to agree with you.Is everyone going to start cycling ? No. There needs to be an accurate count of how many people cycling .

27 minutes ago, markfor said:

Even though I am a cyclist tend to agree with you.Is everyone going to start cycling ? No. There needs to be an accurate count of how many people cycling .

I believe that many of the figures for cycling are skewed somewhat by those taking it up in & around the London area?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jul/03/london-records-biggest-rise-in-cycling-journeys-in-2018

I do like the Guardian's opening paragraph; "Distance covered grows by 5%, but most cyclists still white, middle-aged and rich."   

Best & most comprehensive figures I could find is from 2018.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/statistics

No doubt there are more cyclist out there now but it's still a very small minority of the population & of course the numbers will fall during the autumn & winter months. 

From the report above; "The average length of a cycle trip was 3.3 miles, while the average length of a car trip was 8.2 miles."

Edited by Baron99

2 hours ago, Michael_N said:

Personally speaking, the most dangerous ones I’ve seen are those on Abbey Lane at Beauchief and Mansfield Road at Frecheville where traffic islands are. Fair enough they’ve painted them to mark the lanes for cyclists just through these obstructions - but they’ve made the lane more narrower than a car - so no one takes any blind bit of notice.

The point of those is to warn drivers they are approaching a constriction and need to watch out for cyclists. That’s all they are for really.

1 hour ago, markfor said:

The government collects data on all travel modes. A fair bit of it is census data and national travel survey data. You can see data about walking and cycling here: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/walking-and-cycling-tsgb11

And: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/walking-and-cycling-statistics

I drove through this yesterday morning going to the parkway about 11-15 and traffic going towards hillsborough was just stood still nothing moving,whoever thought this up needs sacking only an idiot could dream a scheme like this up.

54 minutes ago, jonnythefox said:

I drove through this yesterday morning going to the parkway about 11-15 and traffic going towards hillsborough was just stood still nothing moving,whoever thought this up needs sacking only an idiot could dream a scheme like this up.

It is being done on purpose to frustrate you out of your car. 

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

The government collects data on all travel modes. A fair bit of it is census data and national travel survey data. You can see data about walking and cycling here: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/walking-and-cycling-tsgb11

And: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/walking-and-cycling-statistics

See the data and then apply the conclusion rationally.

This scheme compares with the data that most shark attacks occur in shallow water.

Conclusion,make swimmers go to deeper water.