Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

1 hour ago, Michael_N said:

Statement from the council today seems to indicate they realise what a pigs ear of a scheme they have unleashed upon the city:

Councillor Bob Johnson, Cabinet Member for Transport and Sustainability at Sheffield City Council, said:

“The Council is committed to enhancing walking and cycling as a means of reducing congestion, improving air quality, increasing physical activity and creating attractive places. Covid-19 presented an opportunity to trial pedestrianisation and dedicated cycle lanes in a number of areas around the city and, whilst early days, a number of these such a Pinstone Street are already proving popular and successful.

“The Covid-19 pandemic and Government funding for temporary transport measures enabled us to trial a temporary scheme on Shalesmoor, which went live this week. We understand the ring road is critically important for vehicles, in to and around the city and dedicated cycle lanes in this area is something that has long been called for by active travel groups.

“We have listened to feedback, and we are carefully reviewing the impact of the scheme, making a number of changes in response to concerns from some residents and businesses. It is important that we continue to work with relevant groups and those affected by the changes so that we can make informed decisions about future active travel measures. We will continue to monitor the impact of these temporary measures and if, once the full impact is known, they are not considered to be delivering the scale of benefits that justify the disruption to the ring road, then a decision will be taken on the appropriate time to withdraw this temporary scheme.

Guest makapaka
Just now, BoroB said:

Statement from the council today seems to indicate they realise what a pigs ear of a scheme they have unleashed upon the city:

Councillor Bob Johnson, Cabinet Member for Transport and Sustainability at Sheffield City Council, said:

“The Council is committed to enhancing walking and cycling as a means of reducing congestion, improving air quality, increasing physical activity and creating attractive places. Covid-19 presented an opportunity to trial pedestrianisation and dedicated cycle lanes in a number of areas around the city and, whilst early days, a number of these such a Pinstone Street are already proving popular and successful.

“The Covid-19 pandemic and Government funding for temporary transport measures enabled us to trial a temporary scheme on Shalesmoor, which went live this week. We understand the ring road is critically important for vehicles, in to and around the city and dedicated cycle lanes in this area is something that has long been called for by active travel groups.

“We have listened to feedback, and we are carefully reviewing the impact of the scheme, making a number of changes in response to concerns from some residents and businesses. It is important that we continue to work with relevant groups and those affected by the changes so that we can make informed decisions about future active travel measures. We will continue to monitor the impact of these temporary measures and if, once the full impact is known, they are not considered to be delivering the scale of benefits that justify the disruption to the ring road, then a decision will be taken on the appropriate time to withdraw this temporary scheme.

Thank goodness.

just like the other daft plans they had for Broomhill that went away fortunately.

15 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Thank goodness.

just like the other daft plans they had for Broomhill that went away fortunately.

But one has to wonder how this stupidity actually made onto the road. What oversight was there to check that this was viable. The scheme designer is required by law (the CDM regulations) to do a risk assessment of the design, so where is it and what does it say? Or have SCC decided that statutory instruments don't apply to them?

And god help them if there's an accident because the HSE will be all over them like a rash. That would tend to concentrate their minds I rather fancy.

Edited by Weredoomed
Because why not?

Guest makapaka
44 minutes ago, Weredoomed said:

But one has to wonder how this stupidity actually made onto the road. What oversight was there to check that this was viable. The scheme designer is required by law (the CDM regulations) to do a risk assessment of the design, so where is it and what does it say? Or have SCC decided that statutory instruments don't apply to them?

And god help them if there's an accident because the HSE will be all over them like a rash. That would tend to concentrate their minds I rather fancy.

I was queuing in it this morning and a blue light on police car came through and got through but was a massive pain with people struggling to find space to let them through.

Just now, makapaka said:

I was queuing in it this morning and a blue light on police car came through and got through but was a massive pain with people struggling to find space to let them through.

Exactly the sort of thing the risk assessment should consider. £5 says it doesn't, on the grounds the RA doesn't exist?

Surely SCC couldn't be so cavalier with safety legislation. Could they?

There are thousands of roads in Sheffield where a cycle lane would be welcome, a ring road with many alternative cycling routes isn't one of them, this was a ludicrous and indefensible decision.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, until there are some major, major changes to how public transport is run and attitudes to working from home are more encouraging motor vehicles are still key.

I wonder where the red and white barriers will pop up next.🤔

Just now, RJRB said:

I wonder where the red and white barriers will pop up next.🤔

It's like The Phantom Raspberry Blower of old London Town only with barriers.

I suggest The Moor and Fargate.

Get all them cyclists to the shops

Also handy for councillors to get to work

Edited by RJRB

I drove on Shalesmoor today around 11.25,  traffic was queuing from before the turn off to the court to the end of the cycle lane  just after the turn off  to Langsett Road where Bickertons used to be. It was nose to tail, I wouldn't fancy being there at peak times, is it queuing back to the Wicker at morning and evening rush hour?

Four chaps in yellow and wearing hard hats and goggles were cleaning the barriers with high pressure water jets at  11-30 AM  this morning , polishing them up so as to look good on look north this evening .

The cops were having a hell of a time trying to get through about 3:45. A fire truck would have had no chance. I think it's only a matter of time before the emergency services, complain very loudly and it will just  vanish overnight. No doubt the council will then claim that it was just an experiment for a couple of weeks.