Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

5 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

Yes. The highway code says "give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car " and many car/van/lorry drivers don't- they pass dangerously close, putting the cyclists life at risk.  No amount of awareness campaigns has make those drivers alter their reckless behaviour, so, yes, at this point, I think dedicated lanes for cyclists where cars are not permitted is the way forward.

If you sell your car, then either with the proceeds, or the consequent vast savings from not having to insure it, fuel it and maintain it, you could afford a very nice cycle and all the kit to go with it. How you prioritise is up to you, but, you can afford a cycle.

As for your age- I'm 53 and have had 3 strokes; I've got a bike with low gears and there is not a hill in Sheffield I can't get up easily. If I'd not cycled for ages I'm sure I'd also find the prospect of a 1/4 mile ride unpleasant, but once you get into it, you may well, like me, cycle to Oughtibridge, climb Jawbone hill and cycle back, for fun.

[although that was during the lockdown, when the roads were fit for purpose due to the lack of cars]

Well I was on there twice yesterday, so it's safe to assume that, as well as not seeing me, you didn't see the other cyclists who would have used it, isn't it?

Also, as I've pointed out before, most cyclists in Sheffield do not know this lane exists yet.

or cannot get to it without braving busy roads with dangerous drivers....

There's something to be said for making a safe lane that connects two areas people already travel between, rather than a very short lane within a small area (which is what this seems to be?).

Haven’t been through Shalesmoor lately but if it’s as badly thought out as the alterations in the town centre then god help us. Don’t usually go down there but have been driving in throughout lockdown to drop and pick up the missis for work, she’s a key worker. Drop her by the crucible then round town hall and home. Not anymore. Road blocked yet buses still using it?! U turn, can’t turn right at the lights for no discernible reason so left into traffic jam cos pavement widening means stationary buses now block road. Brilliant, car was ok at height of lockdown but back to being a second class citizen in the eyes of SCC then. Gonna be bedlam when everyone back at work.

6 hours ago, Weredoomed said:

So what you're saying here is that SCC are not adequately maintaining the cycle lanes to ensure they are safe for cyclists to use, without risking a puncture? 

Perhaps the cycling lobby should take this alleged lack of maintenance up with SCC?

Perhaps if SCC adequately maintained the cycle lanes/paths there would be more take up of cycling?

Although doubtless someone will be along shortly to tell us all there is no money to maintain things, because maintenance is very expensive, what with SCC being cash-strapped, etc.

Selective reading, I also said they were narrow. Which means HGV's and the like are extremely close.  Sweeping up the gravel doesn't make it fit for purpose.

Make it fit for purpose, and usage will increase.

On 07/07/2020 at 14:34, RollingJ said:

I bet this doesn't get a straight answer -  but here goes: @Planner1Do You Cycle or Walk to your pace of work, and if not, why not?

My answer to that would be, I'm simply not fit enough (or competent enough) to cycle from Stocksbridge to Birley, and 20 miles is a very long walk.

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Closing one lane of a main arterial road will not save the planet. Given the amount of standing traffic it could make it worse.

No-one has said it would. No-one.

2 hours ago, alchemist said:

Interesting site.  So according to this site the number of pedal cycle incidents on Shalesmoor Road involving the injury of a cyclist since 2017 is 4 of which 1 was severe.

How much did this fiasco cost??

In isolation it is a meaningless statistic. How many cyclists used the road in that period? How many didn't use it because they judged it to be dangerous? How many injuries/deaths would have occurred if all those cyclists who didn't use it as they judged it to be too dangerous, had done?

5 hours ago, Martin C said:

Wouldn't a better (albeit more expensive) solution in this case to have been to have cut into the fairly wide  (and more than adequate for normal footfall) pavements thereby extending the width of the existing cycle lanes - then adding the red and white barriers to still achieve separation of cycles and motor vehicles?

Hit the nail right on the head there,  although nobody seems to have  picked up on this glaringingly obvious solution.  As a regular user of the cycle lane along Shalesmoor, I've always thought a couple of metres off the pavement and maybe some off the wide central reservation would give enough extra width to provide a decent sized, safe, cycle lane, separated from the 2 car lanes. Then everyone would be happy, No?

I'm a cyclist.  I love cycling.

I'm also quite passionate about exercise being a big part of the solution to many health problems and allowing people a longer healthspan (if not lifespan).

I would love to see more people on bikes, more people choosing active travel and not being a slave to the motor car.

Even I can't see how this charade at Shalesmoor will help though!  You can get from one end to the other by going through Kelham Island anyway.  There are jobs and services that rely on car transport (me sadly being one of them just at the moment).  Cutting capacity on the ring road is not going to help.  In fact, it will probably inflame the motorists who already think cyclists shouldn't be on the road.

Also, I like the fact that some posters on here recognise that the road system is for every user, not just cars, and one is not more important than the other.  If only most motorists thought like that...

Edited by Becky B

Pretty well sums it up Becky.

Enjoy your cycling

1 hour ago, Mat17 said:

My answer to that would be, I'm simply not fit enough (or competent enough) to cycle from Stocksbridge to Birley, and 20 miles is a very long walk.

Fair enough, and I understand - if I was still working, I certainly wouldn't fancy the (only) 8 miles each way - even on a nice day.

its just been on look north, Dame Sarah Storey named as Sheffield City Region Active Travel Commissioner says its not the new cycle lane that stopped the ambulance getting through the traffic, it was the traffic that stopped the ambulance getting through the traffic.

Edited by MICK BADGER

2 minutes ago, MICK BADGER said:

its just been on look north, Dame Sarah Storey named as Sheffield City Region Active Travel Commissioner says its not the new cycle lane that stopped the ambulance getting through it was the traffic that stopped the ambulance getting through.

There ain’t nothing like a Dame.

Brilliant

3 minutes ago, MICK BADGER said:

its just been on look north, Dame Sarah Storey named as Sheffield City Region Active Travel Commissioner says its not the new cycle lane that stopped the ambulance getting through the traffic, it was the traffic that stopped the ambulance getting through the traffic.

Good, it was the traffic, glad to see people telling it the way it is. If the roads were not jammed with ridiculous numbers of cars emergency vehicles would never have problems.