Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

Guest busdriver1
4 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

If you sell your car, then either with the proceeds, or the consequent vast savings from not having to insure it, fuel it and maintain it, you could afford a very nice cycle and all the kit to go with it. How you prioritise is up to you, but, you can afford a cycle.

As for your age- I'm 53 and have had 3 strokes; I've got a bike with low gears and there is not a hill in Sheffield I can't get up easily. If I'd not cycled for ages I'm sure I'd also find the prospect of a 1/4 mile ride unpleasant, but once you get into it, you may well, like me, cycle to Oughtibridge, climb Jawbone hill and cycle back, for fun.

All you youngsters base your opinion on your ability. Try living my life before you judge my abilities. I have already answered your points and explained why they do not work for me.

I would thank you to take the time to read and digest before getting on your high horse.

4 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

So if less cars are in Sheffield and more in Rotherham/Barnsley, that's a good thing in terms of that priority.

And, as Barnsley/Rotherham fill up with cars they'll also have to introduce congestion reduction measures.

And yes, that means some Sheffield businesses will suffer in the short term, but, that is a lower priority than preventing the end of human civilisation and protecting public health.

Sheffields population will suffer because of this enforced congestion long term. Cars that drive to a town then park produce far less emissions than several stuck in a man made congestion point.

Guest busdriver1
3 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

Presumably you're a climate change denier? If not, you need to rethink what you've put above. In what perspective is cash useful when the atmosphere is unbreathable and entire ecosystems have collapsed?

I certainly do not deny climate change. It is a fact, so, on that vein lets stick to them eh?

Fact. there are multiple forms of air pollution. Focussing on one while the others go unchecked is the biggest form of denial there is. 

Governments and councils are selecting the form of pollution they wish to tackle so as not to offend the industries that support the political parties.

The longest term and most damaging form of air pollution is from aircraft. Where are the measures to see that reduced and the timetable for it? 

57 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

People on a leisure ride can choose to avoid that particular stretch, people who need to get to work cannot.

Not really. It is none of my or your business why somebody is travelling, they have an equal right to be there. If you travel to work along Shalesmoor on your bike you have just the same right to do it as I do in my 500hp car nipping to the shops. It just happens that you made a better decision than me and will arrive sooner. 

I hope we'll agree that my journey to the shop in the car is not more important than yours to work on the bike, and vice-versa.

I also hope we will agree that it is really important is that everyone can make their journey without being in fear of their life. 

To add, if we get this even half right, in 20 years these kids will think that cycling around town is normal. 

You'd need a heart of stone not to smile at the potential for a better city wrapped up in this simple thing that just happened. :)

22 minutes ago, Tony said:

To add, if we get this even half right, in 20 years these kids will think that cycling around town is normal. 

You'd need a heart of stone not to smile at the potential for a better city wrapped up in this simple thing that just happened. :)

Yep,terrific idea pleasure cycling at the side of a busy road ,and at exhaust level.

Take him to the park and be sensible.

Up to the age of 16 or so we went everywhere on our bikes.

Neither me or any of my mates carried on cycling to work,and precious few will do so in the future.

Enjoy your cycling but it’s not going to catch on for the vast majority.

Edited by RJRB

34 minutes ago, Tony said:

Not really. It is none of my or your business why somebody is travelling, they have an equal right to be there. If you travel to work along Shalesmoor on your bike you have just the same right to do it as I do in my 500hp car nipping to the shops. It just happens that you made a better decision than me and will arrive sooner. 

I hope we'll agree that my journey to the shop in the car is not more important than yours to work on the bike, and vice-versa.

I also hope we will agree that it is really important is that everyone can make their journey without being in fear of their life. 

It should be the concern of the planners and road traffic engineers as to the purpose of the road,and in this topic they are woefully lacking.

45 minutes ago, Tony said:

So they were the only 2 cyclists on the road then??  Great use of resources, was totally worth it then!!!

@RJRB the nature of things change. Shalesmoor is called that for a reason, it was a packhorse track along the river bottom. One day it might be pedestrianised, who knows! I happen to drive along Shalesmoor more than I cycle but I can't begrudge riders a safe space for the sake of a few minutes on my journey time. 

Can we at least agree that a motorist is not more important than a bike rider?

I wonder how they got there 

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Closing one lane of a main arterial road will not save the planet. Given the amount of standing traffic it could make it worse.

Exactly. When you consider how much pollution places such as China churn out into the atmosphere, making cycling "nice" in Sheffield for a tiny number of people will contribute towards saving the planet by the square root of chuff all. Enough of the woke virtue signalling, this scheme is wrong, not fit for purpose and is creating more congestion and thus pollution by it's mere existence. Overall it disbenefits both the community and the environment and should be removed immediately.

THEN

There should be an inquiry into which officers thought this was a good idea and they should be made to justify their actions. Along with the councillors who they managed to convince this was viable, when it clearly is no such thing.

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

@RJRB the nature of things change. Shalesmoor is called that for a reason, it was a packhorse track along the river bottom. One day it might be pedestrianised, who knows! I happen to drive along Shalesmoor more than I cycle but I can't begrudge riders a safe space for the sake of a few minutes on my journey time. 

Can we at least agree that a motorist is not more important than a bike rider?

Each has its’place

Edited by RJRB

Police car in emergency was trying to get through today.

If they complain council will be more likely to reconcider their silly plans.