Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

2 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

So if the route round it is now congested can you take a wild guess as to there they are going to go?

Nope, as I don’t know where they are coming from or where they are going.

20 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Some will be going into town - but a lot will be heading for the parkway. 

According to census data, 77% of commuting trips in Sheffield are under 10km, so I’d suggest it’s the other way round. A lot heading for town, some going to Parkway.

Time to say goodnight.

The rain looks set to continue through to mid morning so all you commuting cyclists will need your capes on.

37 minutes ago, cytine said:

Of course people need to drive, lots of businesses/services including council services have closed local facilities and have centralised. So we have to travel. Bus services are poor, unreliable and expensive. Cycling is not an option for many people especially those working out of town. At a time when businesses are struggling our stupid council spend money that they supposedly don't have on ridiculous schemes like this. Sheffield Council's Anti motorist crusade goes on regardless.

Yes, some people need to drive, but many just choose to even though they could walk or cycle. In Sheffield, 77% of commuting trips are under 10km and 70% of those were by car. 51% of commutes are under 5km and it is these that the government and councils are targeting as being cycleable or walkable.

Bus services here are among the cheapest in the country, so cost is really not an excuse.

The money that the council are spending on these “pop-up” walking and cycling measures has  been given to them by the government specifically for that purpose. 

9 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Time to say goodnight.

The rain looks set to continue through to mid morning so all you commuting cyclists will need your capes on.

With the exception of onewheeldave, who on the last dozen or so pages has said they were a cyclist?

10 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Nope, as I don’t know where they are coming from or where they are going.

According to census data, 77% of commuting trips in Sheffield are under 10km, so I’d suggest it’s the other way round. A lot heading for town, some going to Parkway.

And I’d suggest that most city bound traffic comes from routes other than from this section of road .

i.e.Parkway,and the the various bus routes which feed the city centre.

Even traffic from Penistone Rd bound for the city centre almost certainly will turn up Netherthorpe Road .

From the Parkway direction some will bear left towards Brook Hill.

So we come back to the nub of the problem.

Why constrict what is mainly a by pass of the city centre.

How many cycling commuters to the city centre would go as far as Derek Dooley Way,before turning towards the city.

13 minutes ago, RJRB said:

And I’d suggest that most city bound traffic comes from routes other than from this section of road .

i.e.Parkway,and the the various bus routes which feed the city centre.

Even traffic from Penistone Rd bound for the city centre almost certainly will turn up Netherthorpe Road .

From the Parkway direction some will bear left towards Brook Hill.

So we come back to the nub of the problem.

Why constrict what is mainly a by pass of the city centre.

How many cycling commuters to the city centre would go as far as Derek Dooley Way,before turning towards the city.

Have you ever noticed the huge numbers of cars that go up DD Way and then turn right on the Parkway back towards the city centre  - and no, they're not all heading towards Chesterfield.

Edited by Longcol

I genuinely hate cars and all associated congestion and (despite being of "advancing years") have never learned to drive. I have cycled a lot in the past but now lack the fitness to do so (especially in Sheffield).  Overall I'm very much pro-cycling/walking/public transport and anti-car.

Despite this bias I still believe that this particular scheme is a misguided (if well-intentioned) shambles which should be abandoned and reversed forthwith

I was on shalesmoor yesterday walking about a few.groups of men pointing at things must be to do with the cycle lanes,a council van filling the red and white cones up with water to weigh them down,at this point just 1 lane of traffic open near ship Inn out bound and then a car breaks down with nowere to pull in because of theses cones,does a bike need a full car lane width,and to top it off I did not see 1 cyclist at all maybe they were in their cars because it was raining like today,I walked the full length of penistone road From Leppings lane to west bar and only had seen 4 cyclist pass me,so we're was all these cyclist we was having.

6 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Ring roads are there to help drivers avoid going through town, going round it instead.

And Shalesmoor roundabout currently hinders drivers attempting to go through town.

Have you traversed the stretch of road in question this week since the changes Planner 1?

43 minutes ago, speleo1 said:

I was on shalesmoor yesterday walking about a few.groups of men pointing at things must be to do with the cycle lanes,a council van filling the red and white cones up with water to weigh them down,at this point just 1 lane of traffic open near ship Inn out bound and then a car breaks down with nowere to pull in because of theses cones,does a bike need a full car lane width,and to top it off I did not see 1 cyclist at all maybe they were in their cars because it was raining like today,I walked the full length of penistone road From Leppings lane to west bar and only had seen 4 cyclist pass me,so we're was all these cyclist we was having.

Another person quoting inconvenient facts that don' t match SCC's anti-car agenda. You're so naughty 😁

7 hours ago, Planner1 said:

And is telling porkies an effective counter to this “propaganda”? Or does it mean you’ve lost the argument.?

And which porkies would they be then? Based on the overall way this thread is going, I'd rather venture that SCC have lost the argument as to how wise and well-considered their scheme on Shalesmoor has been.

Presumably the careful, considered,  detailed and costed report, fully justifying this scheme, showing it is an overall benefit to the majority of those people using Shalesmoor and does not increase pollution in the area due to the volume of traffic queuing to get through it will be published shortly, to prove that those saying it's a complete farce and a waste of taxpayers money are wrong and/or liars? Assuming such a report actually exists in the first place. Which we both know doesn't exist of course. The most one might expect to see is some vague 1 or 2 page bit of waffle, bleating on about Covid, air pollution and how people should not use their cars, with no actual figures to show the scheme is justified.