Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

2 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

Installing showers in some premises isn't feasible, ours has absolutely nowhere that even a single shower cubicle could be installed and there are many that are the same, when you have your no vehicle utopia who is going to repair your shower when it stops working? 😆

Presumably your friendly local plumber who will arrive complete with 3m lengths of pipe and a saddle bag full of spanners and assorted fittings.

Might arrive a bit late if you live up Jenkin Hill.

6 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

Installing showers in some premises isn't feasible, ours has absolutely nowhere that even a single shower cubicle could be installed and there are many that are the same, when you have your no vehicle utopia who is going to repair your shower when it stops working? 😆

But installing showers in many others is totally feasible. 

The 'no vehicle utopia' is a strawman of your own devising, neither me nor [as far as I can see] any other person on this thread is aiming for a no vehicle road system. Just one which is cycle friendly, with a lot more cyclists on it, and, a lot less cars.

Showers would be repaired by a shower repair person who would turn up in his/her van having used a road system which is a great deal less congested than than it was back in 2020 :)

Guest makapaka
27 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Then why at morning rush hour are the vast majority headed into the city centre? Same as most cities in the world.

Some will be going into town - but a lot will be heading for the parkway. 

38 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Electric cars are only as green as the source of the electricity they use- much of that is produced from coal and oil. The harm done to public health from sedentary car use [obesity, type II diabetes, heart disease etc] is as great from electric cars as it is from petrol/diesel. That's 2 to be going on with.

There are plenty of cyclists along Penistone road and Shalesmoor.

If the roads were safe for cyclists i.e. dedicated well designed cycle paths [not strips of paint at the edge of the road] with no cars sharing them, many more would cycle to work. Also, either financial incentives for employers to install showers, or, legislation to require showers, would help a lot.

Really?

19 minutes ago, RJRB said:

We are talking about an important section of arterial road here which most vehicles use to by pass the city centre to get to The Parkway orthe east end of Sheffield.

I think large numbers of drivers are developing a lemming like devotion to sat - navs. 

Other routes are available to many.

1 minute ago, Brooker11 said:

Really?

That is the subject of the thread- the cycle lanes under discussion are soley for the use of bikes and the barriers make it impossible for cars to get on them- that is why they are safe for cycles. 

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

I think large numbers of drivers are developing a lemming like devotion to sat - navs. 

Isn't the point of an expensively installed ring road to keep cars away from "other routes"?

41 minutes ago, makapaka said:

we’re a city of nigh on 600,000 people, a good proportion of that have to travel significant distances either across the city or out of the city.

Depends what you call a good proportion.

The stats from the 2011 census say 77% of commuting trips in Sheffield are 10km or less (of which over 70% are by car) and 51% are under 5km.

see: https://www.cyclesheffield.org.uk/sheffield-transport-data/

3 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Many drivers ,myself included have driven around the country for years without the use of Sat Nav.

Motorways and A roads have been built over the years to enable vehicles to get near to their destination without using the by ways and are generally the most direct route.

So what exactly are you advocating?

7 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

Isn't the point of an expensively installed ring road to keep cars away from "other routes"?

Ring roads are there to help drivers avoid going through town, going round it instead.

Just now, Planner1 said:

Ring roads are there to help drivers avoid going through town, going round it instead.

So if the route round it is now congested can you take a wild guess as to there they are going to go?

11 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

When I lived in Sheffield (up to two years ago) and had frequent meetings in Rotherham, Doncaster etc I used to keep my options open when approaching the city from Penistone Road - often quicker to use Rutland Road etc.

Was always boggled when getting lifts from colleagues to meetings out of town, how many under 45 / 50's relied entirely on sat - navs. 

Edited by Longcol