Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

7 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The measures that are being put in are about helping walking and cycling. People can carry quite significant loads on cycles with all sorts of panniers and bags available. There are cargo bikes for shifting more bulky and heavy stuff. 

If you actually compare public transport prices in other places,  Sheffield’s come out as being quite reasonable. 

Well, as I requested before let's see examples of it from the said leaders. 

When are we going to be seeing SCC carers on bikes bringing all their nursing supplies, paperwork and stock with them in their panniers.   I'm assuming just round the corner there is the order for all the contractors and workmen to be carrying all their tools in there specially adapted bags so they can cycle to their various job sites.......right? 

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 minute ago, Brooker11 said:

Cycling is only viable to people in good health, with showers available at their place of work, who have to carry very few items and work from one fixed location, it wouldn't be an option for a single person in my place of work.

The prices might be reasonable but its unreliable.

Not true. Many people wouldn’t need to change or get a shower after a short cycle journey. Electric bikes make it even less effort. In any case, lots of employers do provide showers, changing rooms and secure storage for bikes and gear. They can get grants to help with the costs.

Thousands of people have used the public transport network every day and manage just fine. Sure there are the odd niggles, but there are on the roads too. To contend it isn’t a viable option is not credible. 

3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Well, as I requested before let's see examples of it from the said leaders. 

When are we going to be seeing SCC carers on bikes bringing all their nursing supplies, paperwork and stock with them in their panniers.   I'm assuming just round the corner there is the order for all the contractors and workmen to be carrying all their tools in there specially adapted bags so they can cycle to their various job sites.......right? 

The transport policy team do generally practice what they preach. Many council officers use public transport, walk or cycle when they need to travel. Those modes aren’t suitable for some trips, but they are for a lot. If you want leadership from the top, John Mothersole, the old chief exec used to walk to work.

Your request might well be directed to councillors who could show leadership by giving up their free parking spaces.

8 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Not true. Many people wouldn’t need to change or get a shower after a short cycle journey. Electric bikes make it even less effort. In any case, lots of employers do provide showers, changing rooms and secure storage for bikes and gear. They can get grants to help with the costs.

Showers are shut at workplaces due to covid currently.

9 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Thousands of people have used the public transport network every day and manage just fine. Sure there are the odd niggles, but there are on the roads too. To contend it isn’t a viable option is not credible. 

The transport policy team do generally practice what they preach. Many council officers use public transport, walk or cycle when they need to travel. Those modes aren’t suitable for some trips, but they are for a lot. If you want leadership from the top, John Mothersole, the old chief exec used to walk to work.

Your request might well be directed to councillors who could show leadership by giving up their free parking spaces.

Very few people work close to home so its more likely to be a longer journey, I wouldn't like to think I was sitting in clothes that I'd worn from a cycle journey all day and I'm sure the rest of the office wouldn't appreciate it either, very few organisations have showers or the room to fit one, with required services and drainage its not even feasible for some funds or not.

6 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Showers are shut at workplaces due to covid currently.

Good point and very true.

I bet this doesn't get a straight answer -  but here goes: @Planner1Do You Cycle or Walk to your pace of work, and if not, why not?

15 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I bet this doesn't get a straight answer -  but here goes: @Planner1Do You Cycle or Walk to your pace of work, and if not, why not?

Like many people I work from home at the moment and that will continue, probably indefinitely.

I have walked and cycled to work when I worked within a reasonable travel distance. Mostly I’d drive and park about a mile out and walk the rest of the way. More lately I have used a combination of driving, train and walking as my employer is in another city.

23 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

Very few people work close to home so its more likely to be a longer journey, I wouldn't like to think I was sitting in clothes that I'd worn from a cycle journey all day and I'm sure the rest of the office wouldn't appreciate it either, very few organisations have showers or the room to fit one, with required services and drainage its not even feasible for some funds or not.

Good point and very true.

Add on that even if places are lucky enough to have a shower facility most of the time they only have one or two.  My building has nearly 300 people in it but we still only have one shower.  If even just 10% of the entire workforce decide to cycle in what sort of mayhem and delayed start of the working day is that going to create with such number of people wanting to get changed and showered before they start.  

33 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

The stats in this story say the opposite: https://sheffieldcityregion.org.uk/sheffield-city-region-announces-plans-for-1000km-of-walking-and-cycling-routes/

64% of car commuter trips are under 5km in South Yorkshire. 40% are 1km or less. 

A lot of organisations do make provision for active travel. HSBC’s new offices in the city centre have only a very few parking spaces, but lots of provision for bikes and all the facilities that go with it. They recognise the health benefits to their staff of active travel and also see cost savings for themselves.

32 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Like many people I work from home at the moment and that will continue, probably indefinitely.

I have walked and cycled to work when I worked within a reasonable travel distance. Mostly I’d drive and park about a mile out and walk the rest of the way. More lately I have used a combination of driving, train and walking as my employer is in another city.

Fair enough, if you can do that, it is a great advantage from a number of angles. Mind you, there are jobs (mine, before I retired for one) that are not possible.

When I lived on Park Hill and worked on Savile Street, I walked unless the weather was really bad, but once I moved to the South-West of the city, and my job relocated to Brightside Lane,that was NOT an option, even on a nice day.

24 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The stats in this story say the opposite: https://sheffieldcityregion.org.uk/sheffield-city-region-announces-plans-for-1000km-of-walking-and-cycling-routes/

64% of car commuter trips are under 5km in South Yorkshire. 40% are 1km or less. 

A lot of organisations do make provision for active travel. HSBC’s new offices in the city centre have only a very few parking spaces, but lots of provision for bikes and all the facilities that go with it. They recognise the health benefits to their staff of active travel and also see cost savings for themselves.

You know what they say about statistics.

28 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

On my commute to work  (10+ miles) I often see city workers driving into the city and parking up in areas like Farm road, Princess street and other border areas then pulling out a fold out bike for the sub-mile ride into city centre. 

It'll only increase once SCC introduce the CAZ and ultimately include private vehicles (if you think they won't then you're an idiot). Instead of inner city pollution you'll end up with a pollution ring around it. 

As it stands it's not fixing the issue it's just displacing it elsewhere. 

On a personal level I think spending on cycling infrastructure is a waste unless we have legistlation that mandates it's use where it's available. The most common moan I hear from cylcists is that they're often shared spaces like split pavements and the moan is that they can't go as fast as they want because they have to watch for other users and that's an inconvience. Well I can't go as fast as I want when there's a cyclist in my path, that's an inconvience but I have to endure it, why should a cyclist be any different when it comes to other road/pavement users, what makes them so special that they shouldn't be impeded in any way?

Edited by Resident

If cyclists are to have their own piece of road then why not tax them for the upkeep.

11 minutes ago, Resident said:

On my commute to work  (10+ miles) I often see city workers driving into the city and parking up in areas like Farm road, Princess street and other border areas then pulling out a fold out bike for the sub-mile ride into city centre. 

It'll only increase once SCC introduce the CAZ and ultimately include private vehicles (if you think they won't then you're an idiot). Instead of inner city pollution you'll end up with a pollution ring around it. 

As it stands it's not fixing the issue it's just displacing it elsewhere. 

On a personal level I think spending on cycling infrastructure is a waste unless we have legistlation that mandates it's use where it's available. The most common moan I hear from cylcists is that they're often shared spaces like split pavements and the moan is that they can't go as fast as they want because they have to watch for other users and that's an inconvience. Well I can't go as fast as I want when there's a cyclist in my path, that's an inconvience but I have to endure it, why should a cyclist be any different when it comes to other road/pavement users, what makes them so special that they shouldn't be impeded in any way?

:thumbsup: I'm  also wondering why, when a narrow lane with blind bends and signed 'No Pedal Cycles' with a clear sign is regularily used by cyclists who travel on it as if it was a racetrack - further details available via PM if required.