Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

It'll be interesting to see how the emergency vehicles are going to fare in all this. They've no chance, especially at rush hour, ( which will last all day!). Can't see it  lastng too long personally. Someone at the council will eventually press the common sense button.............won't they?

35 minutes ago, Magneteer said:

It'll be interesting to see how the emergency vehicles are going to fare in all this. They've no chance, especially at rush hour, ( which will last all day!). Can't see it  lastng too long personally. Someone at the council will eventually press the common sense button.............won't they?

Common sense seems to have been completely lacking when this decision was made.

Shalesmoor roundabout was already a bottle neck with two lanes, how on earth do the council expect that to ease with one lane.

An improvement to a traffic system should lead to free flowing traffic and non-idling cars. No evidence of this last night at Shalemoor.

Makes one wonder if SCC are supportive of hired e-scooters and hope to see them in the city, given how "successful" the yellow bike scheme was a few years ago...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53219331

49 minutes ago, Magneteer said:

Well done Magneteer, it's rare to see SCC and common sense mentioned in the same sentence 🙂

And I note the mods have removed an earlier post of mine from this topic. Nothing like silencing a critic, is there?

ha ha I see Planner 1 hasn't got involved in this yet! Penistone Road cycle track into town is largely ignored by cyclists as they still tend to use the road rather than the cycle track.  And what about the wasted thousands when they introduced the cycle track down near Costco narrowing the road and removing parking for the workers in the area. In the time it's been done I don't think I'm up to double figures yet with the cyclists  I've seen that use it (I'm also a cyclist myself and advocate cycle lanes where possible and more importantly useful).

Edited by Lancs_Lad

Link attached to an article on the scheme:

https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/be-installed-this-weekend/

I like the statement below from the council:

'This next phase of active travel measures will have a really positive impact on how people currently move around our city centre.'

Yeah, an impact by increased travel times and increased pollution from stationary cars waiting to move. 

2 hours ago, Magneteer said:

It'll be interesting to see how the emergency vehicles are going to fare in all this. They've no chance, especially at rush hour, ( which will last all day!). 

Ah, that old chestnut. The emergency services have sirens and flashing lights, drivers get out of their way and they manage to get around just fine even at peak traffic times. Emergency services are consulted on changes to the highway network and their views are taken seriously.

1 hour ago, BoroB said:

An improvement to a traffic system should lead to free flowing traffic and non-idling cars. 

Says who?

Motorists are not the only highway users. This improvement is for non-motorised modes.

In a constrained network, you can't promote a step change in travel mode choice without inconveniencing some types of highway user.

It's fairly obvious that many car drivers will not change mode unless they are made to. Making car drivers trips slower, more difficult and more costly are all tools of demand management and that is what you are seeing here. It is policy at national government and local government levels to get huge increases in the numbers of people walking and cycling over coming years. That won't be achieved by just letting car drivers continue as normal.

The government and local councils have seen big increases in cycling and walking in lockdown and they want to  keep those people travelling sustainably as we come out of lockdown. The government are telling local councils to introduce measures to facilitate this and are giving them the money to do it. Thats why you are seeing measures like this emerging in all towns and cities. If the policy aims are to be delivered, its just the start and you are going to see a lot more.

1 hour ago, Lancs_Lad said:

ha ha I see Planner 1 hasn't got involved in this yet! Penistone Road cycle track into town is largely ignored by cyclists as they still tend to use the road rather than the cycle track.  And what about the wasted thousands when they introduced the cycle track down near Costco narrowing the road and removing parking for the workers in the area. In the time it's been done I don't think I'm up to double figures yet with the cyclists  I've seen that use it (I'm also a cyclist myself and advocate cycle lanes where possible and more importantly useful).

Why do you think that is? Because it's not fit for purpose.

11 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Because they are the ones creating all these controversial changes and are the subject of this thread.

It is also plainly obvious that plenty within the council implementing these policies are complete hypocrites and will not embrace them themselves.

And you are the one creating congestion and pollution, or do you choose to absolve yourself of responsibility for that?

36 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Ah, that old chestnut. The emergency services have sirens and flashing lights, drivers get out of their way and they manage to get around just fine even at peak traffic times. Emergency services are consulted on changes to the highway network and their views are taken seriously.

And how do drivers get out of the way when the cycle lane is taking up most of the road  where do they pull over too? It's gridlock, yet another ill thought out disaster from a local council.

This bodge job of a cycle lane will hardly be used, it will get full of stones, glass ect like the rest, who wants a puncture on the way to work. If you want to promote cycling on this stretch why not scrap the existing small cycle lane and reduce the speed limit to 20mph which would make road cycling safer and keep traffic flowing.

SR

3 hours ago, Magneteer said:

no the button broke years ago and never got replaced

8 minutes ago, simonr said:

It's gridlock, yet another ill thought out disaster from a local council.

Keeping a sense of proportion I see.

From the reports I've seen, it was a queue on one stretch of road. Did it affect the rest of the city centre? Hardly a "disaster", more like a mild inconvenience for some drivers. 

Would it not have been a better idea to use part of the pathway to create a cycle lane rather than one whole lane of the road. That way everyone would be happy(ish). Even on Penistone road the cycle lane is intermittent therefore cyclists do use the main highway rather than their cycle lane. This in turn slows traffic down as the driver has to pass a cyclist  at a safe distance and cannot do this due to traffic in the outside lane.

4 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Keeping a sense of proportion I see.

From the reports I've seen, it was a queue on one stretch of road. Did it affect the rest of the city centre? Hardly a "disaster", more like a mild inconvenience for some drivers. 

I doubt people were trying to access the city centre, just trying to get home.