Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

Just now, RollingJ said:

Or even those who can't ride a bike and rely on public transport (now gridlocked)? I certainly wouldn't like to cycle 16 miles a day to/from work, especially in the middle of winter.

Absolutely.... I can't see anything in the original plans for the work done that either shows or states what they were going to do.... one can only hope it is temporary  during the summer months or until more people get back to work.

As I understand during the pandemic, we’re supposed to be keeping away from public transport where necessary. 

So make it even harder for drivers eh?

Great thinking that. 

Yep, and I bet all these policy-makers walk or cycle everywhere?

28 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Wouldn’t their blood pressure problems be eased if they got out of their cars and walked or cycled more?

Mine certainly wouldn't.

Not when I have multiple appointments to attend in a day and various equipment and confidential files to be transporting about.

Nor I imagine will many people be happily hopping on bikes if they work as any sort skilled tradesman or contractor or carer or remote medical professional or supplier or sales rep or indeed anyone who has to carry more than a small rucksack.  

We are not all privileged to live a short distance away from our workplaces with ample shower and changing facilities nor does everyone have the freedom to amble along at a leisurely pace to get to where we need to go.  Some of us have family responsibilities to juggle with the logistics of a full time job and that often involves rushing round to transport children and relatives various places.

Not everyone has the luxury of a fully integrated, properly timetabled, reasonably priced,  perfectly reliable transport system on their doorsteps. 

For all of the council's grand ambitions cars are here to stay.  We are not London.  We don't have a fantastic tube system which whisks people to where they need to go every few minutes.  We don't have a wonderful reliable integrated subsidised bus system which covers all of the city at all points in the day.  We don't have a majority of the population living within the greater city limits with a quick and easy walk to all major points.

An obvious point is that we are surrounded by massive hills which is a bit of a hurdle for a start for many.

Time for SCC to come back into the real world.  Tell you what let's start small, all those SCC branded cars that the support workers use and all those gas guzzling contractor white vans.  let's ban them and give them a bus pass or maybe a bike eh?   What about the mayoral car - let's get that swapped for a nice new pair of trainers to walk it's only fair right?  

The old phrase is lead by example so let's see it.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

It seems to me the Council are doing a good job of driving people away from the city centre with these "temporary" measures.  I for one would guess these measures become permanent. 

I feel for the drivers who have to queue in the traffic along Shalesmoor. ECCOnoob has it spot on.

Much as I hate shopping it's Meadowhall from now on.

6 minutes ago, forgeman said:

It seems to me the Council are doing a good job of driving people away from the city centre with these "temporary" measures.  I for one would guess these measures become permanent. 

I feel for the drivers who have to queue in the traffic along Shalesmoor. ECCOnoob has it spot on.

And the people trying to get home will use side roads more and more. 

30 minutes ago, forgeman said:

Is it really only temporary ?
It seems such a waste of money,  with manpower, painting the roads, signage etc and then to change it back.

Reading these comments gives me confidence there are sane people in Sheffield unfortunately not those making road decisions like this! Came through from Derek Dooley Way to Hillsborough at 8.15PM approx ... queuing. No rush hour(s) traffic, no broken down vehicles, incidents or accidents just a stupid/ridiculous idea from the virtue-signallers within SCC! Plenty of sensible comments on here already about the number of cyclists and the difficulties of cycling (especially for work purposes) in a hilly City where the prevailing weather conditions are often not conducive for cycling! Yes, potentially there may (may) be environmental benefits BUT let's have a fully researched/impartial 'cradle to grave' assessment of such changes on everything impacted by this before stating its 'green' (you know, like other so called green projects- wood pellets shipped from across the other side of the world from razed forests, slave labour and environmental damage when mining raw materials for the batteries in electric vehicles & then disposing of the same)! Until a VIABLE alternative exists to the motorvehicle, then whether you like it or not, it is here & SCC should be working with motorists for the benefit of the City and not against them at every single opportunity.

Standard responses on here....very few advocates for reducing car usage suggest that every journey can be made by other means. What is obvious is that plenty can, and many are too lazy to make the effort to do so.

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Mine certainly wouldn't.

Not when I have multiple appointments to attend in a day and various equipment and confidential files to be transporting about.

Nor I imagine will many people be happily hopping on bikes if they work as any sort skilled tradesman or contractor or carer or remote medical professional or supplier or sales rep or indeed anyone who has to carry more than a small rucksack.  

We are not all privileged to live a short distance away from our workplaces with ample shower and changing facilities nor does everyone have the freedom to amble along at a leisurely pace to get to where we need to go.  Some of us have family responsibilities to juggle with the logistics of a full time job and that often involves rushing round to transport children and relatives various places.

Not everyone has the luxury of a fully integrated, properly timetabled, reasonably priced,  perfectly reliable transport system on their doorsteps. 

For all of the council's grand ambitions cars are here to stay.  We are not London.  We don't have a fantastic tube system which whisks people to where they need to go every few minutes.  We don't have a wonderful reliable integrated subsidised bus system which covers all of the city at all points in the day.  We don't have a majority of the population living within the greater city limits with a quick and easy walk to all major points.

An obvious point is that we are surrounded by massive hills which is a bit of a hurdle for a start for many.

Time for SCC to come back into the real world.  Tell you what let's start small, all those SCC branded cars that the support workers use and all those gas guzzling contractor white vans.  let's ban them and give them a bus pass or maybe a bike eh?   What about the mayoral car - let's get that swapped for a nice new pair of trainers to walk it's only fair right?  

The old phrase is lead by example so let's see it.  

Why is it just the responsibility of SCC to lead by example. Don't you live in the world too?

32 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Standard responses on here....very few advocates for reducing car usage suggest that every journey can be made by other means. What is obvious is that plenty can, and many are too lazy to make the effort to do so.

Why is it just the responsibility of SCC to lead by example. Don't you live in the world too?

Because they are the ones creating all these controversial changes and are the subject of this thread.

It is also plainly obvious that plenty within the council implementing these policies are complete hypocrites and will not embrace them themselves.

Edited by ECCOnoob

17 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

It is also plainly obvious that plenty within the council implementing these policies are complete hypocrites and will not embrace them themselves.

What evidence do you have for this assertion?

For many years the council’s instruction to staff travelling around the city is that they should use public transport, walk or cycle wherever possible. They provide pool bikes and electric bikes and pay a mileage allowance for use of a private bike on council business.

No-one at the council is expecting members of the public to walk or cycle for every journey. 

43 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

What evidence do you have for this assertion?

For many years the council’s instruction to staff travelling around the city is that they should use public transport, walk or cycle wherever possible. They provide pool bikes and electric bikes and pay a mileage allowance for use of a private bike on council business.

No-one at the council is expecting members of the public to walk or cycle for every journey.

Funny that because in nearly 40 years of living in this city and dealing with the council in various different guises personally and professionally I have never once seen a contractor, support worker, social worker, or official officer arrive at my home or office on a bike.

I would suggest that such instruction clearly needs to be pushed a bit more.  In fact being as a civil service usually record everything I'll be very interested to see if there are stats available as to how many employees regularly claim bicycle mileage back for their official travel.  

No they are not "suggesting" that every journey should by bicycle.  They wouldn't have the balls to come out with that.  They are instead going for the the cowardly passive aggressive approach by simply making increasingly difficult, and let's face it offputting, for drivers to get in and out of the city.   

The frustrating thing is I used to support the council quite a lot on this forum.  When there was lots of stock whining about lack of car parking or lots of lazy comparisons between us and leeds I would regularly contribute to defend..... now the more I go in and out and the more of these schemes get implemented the less I can defend.

The anti car agenda has well and truly taken hold and now covid is being used as the excuse for even more changes. 

Edited by ECCOnoob