Jump to content
Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

Recommended Posts

Come on, own up, who’s stupid idea was it?

 

Remove a car lane both ways to install a cycle lane, even though there’s already a cycle lane there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I encountered it for the first time today. Transport masterpiece I don't think. 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, drolnhoj said:

I encountered it for the first time today. Transport masterpiece I don't think. 🤔

It beggars belief 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First discovered it yesterday afternoon and predicted it would cause congestion, and so it's proved. A look at Google traffic showing queues approaching from the university and Wicker at the moment . 

 

Not only is there already a cycle lane on that stretch of road, but if you're coming down Penistone Road the signed cycle route directs you through Kelham Island, thereby avoiding Shalesmoor entirely. Absolutely beggars belief. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big queues down Netherthorpe also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be an excuse for incompetence coming soon enough.

 

Glad I don't have to go that way very often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unbelievable that the cycle lanes are wider than the carriageway for motor vehicles.
Well done Sheffield City   Council for yet another hair brained road traffic scheme on what is already one of the busiest stretches of road around the centre of Sheffield.
Heaven forbid someone breaks down or has a bump when their is nowhere to pull over.
How many millions of pounds has the extra lanes and widening cost   all for the council to put in cycle lanes... it's rarely I see anybody cycling on there , they all seem to nip through Kelham Island.
What next are they going to extend it along the length of Penistone Road or knowing the council up the Parkway  !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, darylslinn said:

Unbelievable that the cycle lanes are wider than the carriageway for motor vehicles.
Well done Sheffield City   Council for yet another hair brained road traffic scheme on what is already one of the busiest stretches of road around the centre of Sheffield.
Heaven forbid someone breaks down or has a bump when their is nowhere to pull over.
How many millions of pounds has the extra lanes and widening cost   all for the council to put in cycle lanes... it's rarely I see anybody cycling on there , they all seem to nip through Kelham Island.
What next are they going to extend it along the length of Penistone Road or knowing the council up the Parkway  !

Careful, Daryl - don't give 'em ideas. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well,  speaking as a commuter cyclist, I think it's good to see efforts being made to accommodate us along a major route such as this BUT, Holy Moly, just driven along there and couldn't believe how they've taken a full lane. It's going to cause horrendous queues at rush hour and can only add to standing traffic  pollution. it goes some way down  Penistone Road too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, darylslinn said:

Unbelievable that the cycle lanes are wider than the carriageway for motor vehicles.
Well done Sheffield City   Council for yet another hair brained road traffic scheme on what is already one of the busiest stretches of road around the centre of Sheffield.
Heaven forbid someone breaks down or has a bump when their is nowhere to pull over.
How many millions of pounds has the extra lanes and widening cost   all for the council to put in cycle lanes... it's rarely I see anybody cycling on there , they all seem to nip through Kelham Island.
What next are they going to extend it along the length of Penistone Road or knowing the council up the Parkway  !

And why do you think that is? Might it be because using the existing glass and gravel strewn narrow excuses for cycle lanes was dangerous, and therefore reduced the take up?

 

If your reply uses the phrase "road tax", or any of the usual car-centric responses, don't bother.

 

We need to drastically reduce our reliance on motor vehicles and the huge amount of damage they do to our cities.

 

If your reply mentions an increase in pollution caused by these changes, again don't bother. Motor vehicles cause pollution. The way to reduce it is to reduce the use of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And what options then do the motorists have who  cannot either ride a bicycle or use public transport ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, darylslinn said:

And what options then do the motorists have who  cannot either ride a bicycle or use public transport ?

Or even those who can't ride a bike and rely on public transport (now gridlocked)? I certainly wouldn't like to walk 16 miles a day to/from work, especially in the middle of winter.

Edited by RollingJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.