Anyone From Carbrook?

We lived in Carbrook from 1954 until 1968. Went to Carbrook Infant and Junior School. Lived near the Lambpool Pub . Names from these days- bloggsy (paul shepherd); janet lester; david white; marion morton; peter thacker; brunskills; dave fox; anwar quadar; steve,jean,sue,alan, angela and brian suckley; susan, janet and stephen briggs; susan glaves;phil chapman; ken law; paul padley;june bernard; keith storer; brian cartledge.

remember; olivers; golden wonder and flathers chippies; the little cobblers shop on the end of carltonville road; wymans stores; schultz pork stores; the skating rink near the conservative club;the tuck shop presided over by a tall bloke with glasses where you could buy spangles in an assortment of flavours for 3d; beechnut and lemfizz cubes from the machine- every 4th try got you a free one - bit like a form of russian roulette only nicer! Rainbow crystals and a licquorish stick. Having trays for 1/2d,1d,2d,3d and holy of holies the

6d assortment. Amazing how long it took to spend a 1d then!

Did cadbury's chocolate taste better then? Frys Boys chocolate; peppermint cracknell; cinder toffee;koff kops;pineapple cubes;licquorish root (had some years later it was disgusting); tiger nuts -that conjures up an an image);

Terry Street and the rec - wonderful flower beds protected by the parky;whit sunday and new clothes shown off to all neighbours and being given money .

the pavilion - 7d matinees on saturdays - flash gordon and king ming. the globe and adelphi. Banners with its own currency and wonder of wonders an escalator. Littlewoods cafe bar;

Edited by nikki-red

my late hubby and his family came from down there, went to carbrooke school they are called slater came off bradford street

hi jeano

what wonder memories of a great place we lived kieth storer, and june bernard, are my

nephew/niece i lived on carltonville road from 1939/1964 went to carbrook inf/junr, then to coleridge rd have you looked on any one from attercliffe site you might find plenty off old friends there regards aj

my late hubby and his family came from down there, went to carbrooke school they are called slater came off bradford street

i remember the slaters on bradford street but not the first names. can you help me out?

hi jeano

what wonder memories of a great place we lived kieth storer, and june bernard, are my

nephew/niece i lived on carltonville road from 1939/1964 went to carbrook inf/junr, then to coleridge rd have you looked on any one from attercliffe site you might find plenty off old friends there regards aj

will look at the site, thank you. i lost touch with them both cos i went to school at millhouses( I passed my 11+). keith and i used to swap photos he was mad about the small faces and i followed the monkees. june was my best friend and i can never hear venus in blue jeans without thinking of her as we used to play the record in their front room on a dansette? record player. would love to hear from them.

i remember the slaters on bradford street but not the first names. can you help me out?

yes theres val the eldest then my late hubby kevin then martin, jeanette anita and paula the youngest then the parents june and the late derek

I had a friend called Dorothy Simpson who lived on Janson street.I lost touch with her years ago.She would be in her late sixties.

We lived on Janson street until 1947 but our house was demolished to make way for a factory.

I had a friend called Dorothy Simpson who lived on Janson street.I lost touch with her years ago.She would be in her late sixties.

We lived on Janson street until 1947 but our house was demolished to make way for a factory.

I remember a Mr and Mrs Simpson, in those days children did not call adults by their first names. did she work at the English Steel? Mind you I would have thought she would have been older than you say - but to kids all adults over 21 looked ancient.

If it is her,they lived in the yard at the side of us. their house was the last house before the steel works on Jansen street and we lived on Higgitt Road. mrs simpson was a little woman with gingery hair and i seem to recall they had a corgi dog.

their next door neighbours were the Blades family, Peggy and Ron were the parents and Roger Frank Alan? Ann Barbara the kids. Then there was another house and then the Dances mum dad Stuart and Trevor. they also had a car which Trevor used to give us little runs in. tiny car with indicators that used to stick out.

If it is the same woman I will ask my family if they know what happened to her.

yes theres val the eldest then my late hubby kevin then martin, jeanette anita and paula the youngest then the parents june and the late derek

valerie slater rings a bell would she be born around 1952? martin also does. I have several brothers and sisters so can ask them. my maiden name was suckley and I have steven,susan,alan, angela and brian as siblings.

Does anyone remember the playcentre at Carbrook J unior school? 4-6pm weekdays. snooker for the lads, dancing for the girls - teddy bears picnic ring any bells? I can still do that dance. the fortunes "You've got your troubles" was the hit of the day.

the guy who was like Basil Fawlty running the painting room where we painted clowns and gollywogs and won a prize for the best - i remember they were two pieces of paper which had a page of coloured picture which you cut up and then remade the jigsaw type pieces to reform the picture. not much of a description but then again not much of a prize either.

the littlies room where we were given a cork tile, nails, hammer and pieces of wood with holes in the centre where we made pictures from the wooden tiles. all technical stuff , those were the days!

Pop Naylor from Coleridge Rd school ran the centre.

There were outside activities if summer and weather permitting. I remember playing rounders.

Hi Jeano

that is the family the parents were called Cyril and Beatty the son was called Colin who died and Dorothy was my childhood friend and I still used to go and stay with them after we were rehoused.Then somewhere along the way we made new friends and lost touch.

We were called Hammond and lived at no.52 Janson st.Not the chippy that had the shop at the other side of the road from your yard they were called Hammonds.

I remember the Blades who lived next door to Dorothy.

Thanyou for the memories and hope you can help re Dorothy.

hi jeano

thanks for reply ,june still lives at darnell ,kieth at frechville and still collecct small faces

stuff i will pm you for further info so i may tell june &kieth about you

regards aj