Black Swan Pub

Terry Steeples was also manager of the Essoldo Cinema in Rotherham. I remember he and his wife well, although her name escapes me. A very good looking blonde lady. Terry was a big guy and very sociable too. He was a great one for promotions and always on the ball to promote the films at the Essoldo. I once had a drink with him at the Black Swan - it seems so long ago - well it is.

Am I halucinating, or was there a novelty glam band used to play there in the early '70's called 'The Light Fantastic'? Did a number that involved emerging from flaming coffins? Kinda like Sheffields answer to Arthur Brown?

Yes I recall The Light Fantastic. More akin to the late Boris Pickett - and the Crypt Kickers of Monster Mash fame!

Saw Light Fantastic many times, drummer/singer/comedian was Ian "Sludge" Lees who went on to have minor fame. I used to go to watch "Jade" from 1968 onwards, happy days!.

Terry Steeples was also manager of the Essoldo Cinema in Rotherham. I remember he and his wife well, although her name escapes me. A very good looking lady. Terry was a big guy and very sociable too. He was a great one for promotions and always on the ball to promote the films at the Essoldo. I once had a drink with him at the Black Swan - it seems so long ago - well it is.

Terry Steeples wife's name was Rachel

I'm compiling a list of acts to have played The Boardwalk (Black Swan / Mucky Duck) on Snig Hill in Sheffield over the years and need help! I remember going to see Vinegar Joe, Kilburn and The High Roads (later to become Ian Dury and The Blockheads), Dr Feelgood (Wilko Johnson still plays the Boardwalk and is now a very good friend of mine), Patto, Ducks Deluxe, Dick and The Firemen, Brinsley Schwartz feat. a very young Nick Lowe... my minds going fuzzy now!!

Also, if anyone has any info regarding the general history of the building it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris Wilson, Boardwalk Promoter.

The pub took a bomb in WW2 which blew the top floor clean off. It opperated as a bungalow pub for many years.

I was a student in late 60s. We went in at lunchtimes. They had daft audience participation shows like standing on your head to drink a half pint. Winner usually won 3 pints. As impoverished students we always participated as it kept us in beer.

Saw Joe Cocker play there 40 years ago.

Hi Chris, I was a regular visitor in the late sixties/early seventies.

Some bands I saw.

Joe Cocker

Patto

Be Bop Deluxe

Shape of the Rain

McCloskeys Apocalypse

Jigsaw

Curved Air (I think. Might be confused on that one)

Alexis Korner's Daughter-Cannot remember her name

Fading fast so will give it more thought and get back to you.

Andy

absolutly loved be bop delux + bill nelsons red noise

JUst diversifying. Use to see Joe Cocker there quite regular. Lost track of the history of the Grease band. What happened to Chris Stainton. fantastic musician.

Saw Chris with Eric Clapton 2007 at the Sheffield Arena, still going strong.

Don't think so. Be Bop Deluxe was in fact one guy from Wakefield with a couple of session men.

Not Tod's style at all.

Andy

The original line up of Be Bop deluxe was Bill Nelson on lead guitar and vocals, Ian Parkin: rhythm and acoustic guitar, Ian died in 1995, aged 45.

Robert Bryan: bass and backing vocals and Nicholas Chatterton-Dew on drums and percussion.

Saw them at the Swan in 74.

Line up number 2 was Bill again, Simon Fox, drums and percussion, Charlie Tumahai bass and backing vocals, Charlie died 21 December 1995 from cancer I believe back in New Zealand and Andrew Clark, keyboards.

Saw them at the City Hall when they all came out of big plastic tubes full of smoke.

Bill also set fire to his guitar and waved over the heads of the front row of the audience, try that today with Elf & Safety.

During the 70's a photographer used to offer sets of photos for sale from the previous weeks band .I have some from a Patto set,can anyone remember who the guy was ,or if he can be contacted .

We would travel from Bawtry area ,most Sunday evenings to wait outside to ensure we got good seats for the show,even carrying in equipment for the bands as they arrived .Highlights for me was watching Brynsleys,Patto,Dr Feelgood,Albertos,Ducks Deluxe,Vinegar Joe,Blodwyn Pig etc etc

We went to the Black Swan regularly. I clearly remember a set of WEM PA speakers stenciled with "Curved Air" I am sure it was Patto using them.

I have loads of memories, but not all at once, don't want to be boring.

Any questions?

The week before we first went to the Black Swan, Status Quo were on. This when Pictures of Matchstick Men had just been released.

Does anyone remember bands called Kokomo and Racing Cars playing there ?Or is it my imagination ?