Virginmedia Wifi Losing Strength

My VM Suerhub is in my attic and wifi strength is usually fine all over the house.

But tonight, my laptop and two phone on the ground floor can't connect, though the desktop in the same room as the router can.

I've not moved the router at all, nor moved anything closer to it to block the signal.

Any ideas?

Have you tried rebooting the router ?

Our superhub is shocking. Could hardly get a signal in the bedroom. 

So i bought one of those wifi boosters. And it's brilliant. It's quite funny to be honest. Because i can sit in the living room which is where the wifi box is, yet all my devices connect to the booster in the bedroom first because it has the strongest signal.

How can something upstairs in the bedroom have a stronger signal than the wifi router in the room i am sitting in?

I no longer have the router downstairs saved in my connections anymore and just use the booster in the bedroom. I can even get a brilliant signal in the garden now.

May be worth looking at one yourself?

Edited by PlayStation

Odd, as I have no problems with mine, 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, both work fine - I can even still connect, outside, across the road and on the corner (a good 100 foot away, outside)

Well I turned it off and turned it on again and it's fine 🙂

But I'm interested in PlayStation's suggestion of a booster, as the wifi is always poor in our conservatory so might get a booster just to remedy that.

Lots of things can affect wifi signals, my router is on the other side of the wall to the bedroom but there's also two electric heaters and various wiring and mains sockets which doesn't help.

3 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Odd, as I have no problems with mine, 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, both work fine - I can even still connect, outside, across the road and on the corner (a good 100 foot away, outside)

I concur.  I have absolutely no issues with mine, I can get down the end my road before I lose it completely while in the car.

5 hours ago, probedb said:

Lots of things can affect wifi signals, my router is on the other side of the wall to the bedroom but there's also two electric heaters and various wiring and mains sockets which doesn't help.

Indeed... Thick brick walls, and walls with steel beams can have a big effect, also Cordless phones, baby monitors, microwaves, and other similar things can all interfere and affect WiFi strength and quality... make sure none of these sorts of devices are near your router, or other Wireless devices ideally!

My superhub was awful in my Victorian house, the signal just couldn't get through the walls.

So I put the hub in modem mode and got a TP Link router with actual aerials on it, and that worked much better.

On 03/07/2020 at 21:37, Grahamfff said:

My VM Suerhub is in my attic and wifi strength is usually fine all over the house.

But tonight, my laptop and two phone on the ground floor can't connect, though the desktop in the same room as the router can.

I've not moved the router at all, nor moved anything closer to it to block the signal.

Any ideas?

Attic definitely best place for it for overall coverage, people sometimes see the WiFi drop towards the place the TV's are (front of house) so cable networking gives an interference free full speed connection, for TV's and Box's/Consoles.

I am thinking of buying a booster but I do not want to pay  some of the silly prices I have seen. Can anyone recommend  a decent one.

On 15/07/2020 at 15:09, Kidorry said:

I am thinking of buying a booster but I do not want to pay  some of the silly prices I have seen. Can anyone recommend  a decent one.

You have to consider, you get what you pay for really, obviously. Consider a mesh network, self installing is a doddle and will work across any network.