Harveys Goes Into Administration, Tm Lewin Closing All Stores

Harveys goes into administration with the immediate loss of 240 jobs, Bensons for Beds, which is part by Harveys' owners Blue Group, will also see around 50 of its outlets close.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-harveys-furniture-goes-administration-22279107

Also TM Lewin has announced plans to close all 66 UK stores, with 600 jobs set to be lost in the process.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/breaking-tm-lewin-shut-stores-22278629

Edited by iansheff

Bella Italia and Cafe Rouge today (same group).

What is that recent retro advert that shows Our Price and other now defunct stores?  Can remake it in a few years for all these ones.

If we lose John Lewis in Sheffield  that will be the death of city centre 

19 minutes ago, ormester said:

If we lose John Lewis in Sheffield  that will be the death of city centre 

Agree.  I'm surprised that we still have it? 

It looks as though it's now in the wrong part of town anyway, what with the new road alterations / traffic restrictions around Leopold St & Pinstone St.  They might be better to leave their present site & relocate to the vacant site left behind by T J Hughes on The Moor? 

Edited by Baron99

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Agree.  I'm surprised that we still have it? 

It looks as though it's now in the wrong part of town anyway, what with the new road alterations / traffic restrictions around Leopold St & Pinstone St.  They might be better to leave their present site & relocate to the vacant site left behind by T J Hughes on The Moor? 

Yeah but the shop now is iconic

Plus the TJ Hughes site would be far too small.   

Let's face it.  The council had their chance to woo John Lewis into the "new retail development" and they blew it.  They tried to dangle the carrot of making them the big important flagship tenant but dithered about so long that John Lewis stuck two fingers up and decided to stay put.  

Back on topic, whilst it is upsetting for those who are losing their jobs I cannot say that the latest victims are a big surprise.    With the cheap and cheerful appeal of IKEA and the never-ending sales at DFS, places like Harveys have been having a uphill battle for years let alone covid damage.  

As for TM lewin, that is one of those shops that I actually forget existed.  I mean with their prices did people really go in regularly and buy work shirts.  When there are multi packs available from every supermarket or discount clothing store, is there that big a demand for cuff-links and £45 double cuff white shirts.  I always saw them as nothing more than the shop you wander in and look at for something to do at an airport.   Just another retailer that hasn't moved with the times and hasn't changed their product to suit the market.

Edited by ECCOnoob

On 04/07/2020 at 09:09, melthebell said:

Yeah but the shop now is iconic

Iconic is great but is it profitable?