Putting A Roof On A Conservatory

Hi All,

Does anyone konw if you will need planning permission to put a proper roof on a conservatory and then knock though into an existing room? Some places say yes and others say no, im jusr not getting any joy from the council because of Covid.

Ta

always ask the town hall planning not forums

7 hours ago, spider1 said:

always ask the town hall planning not forums

My experience of asking the town hall is that someone answers the phone who hasn't got a clue what your talking about but thinks they might know who you need to speak to, your then put through and get an answering service saying the person is on holiday/off sick and to leave a message, if your lucky they might call you back sometime in the next six months.

Yup nobody bothered anymore . Ask for building consent dept  you  might get lucky and always take 

a name from who ever answers phone 

Send an email to building control asking the question.

You'll not need planning permission.

Personally id say you'll need neither but it depends if the knock through involves structural work.

Poss not for a  conservatory but be very carefull as some of them can weigh a ton'

and if on filled ground you need a proper foundation 

Simplest option is just do it.  Several of my neighbours have had it done and i dont recall seeing the notices stuck to the gatepost.

(I converted my garage into an extension with a conservatory roof. Neighbour reported it to council, Inspector came made sure i was putting guttering up and away he went,all approved and council officially advised. I was prepared with full drawings and building reg conformation.)

Planning permission isn't needed but by adding a solid roof to your conservatory you change the status of the structure from a conservatory to an extension which then comes within the remit of building control. To be a conservatory which is exempt from building control it must have 50% of the walls and 75% of the roof glazed. If it changes to an extension then building control can ask you to reveal the foundations to make sure they are strong enough. If they are not then underpinning is expensive. Having said that many folks have done what you're proposing without encountering such a nightmare scenario.

echo.

21 hours ago, echo beach said:

Planning permission isn't needed but by adding a solid roof to your conservatory you change the status of the structure from a conservatory to an extension which then comes within the remit of building control. To be a conservatory which is exempt from building control it must have 50% of the walls and 75% of the roof glazed. If it changes to an extension then building control can ask you to reveal the foundations to make sure they are strong enough. If they are not then underpinning is expensive. Having said that many folks have done what you're proposing without encountering such a nightmare scenario.

echo.

Yes a lot do get awway with bad foundations but its stupidity /

Certain builders like dennis north homes most sites were on bad ground and need special 

foundations so be very care full if a north home / I am a bricklayer who worked for norths  so heed my words