Pubs Reopening This Weekend.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Quelle surprise.  Drunk people won't socially distance. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53296689

The article overall is extremely encouraging.

as is the norm the headline suggests something completely different to the content - which actually includes thanks from the police to the general public and confirmation from the NHS that there was no influx of people in hospitals from drink related issues.

yes there were exceptions but that was always going to happen. 

15 hours ago, Pettytom said:

You seem to have forgotten the social distancing requirements. That alone will drive demand down.

that will reduce in the coming weeks, we were out last night for dinner after visiting 2 pubs 1 we we didnt go in as it was rammed as normal and the other was way over zealous, went to our restaurant and it was a little between the two so was spot on.

2 minutes ago, casualbystander said:

that will reduce in the coming weeks, we were out last night for dinner after visiting 2 pubs 1 we we didnt go in as it was rammed as normal and the other was way over zealous, went to our restaurant and it was a little between the two so was spot on.

Social distancing in pubs and restaurants won't officially change until next year if ever. You'll get some landlords who won't care and cram in as many as possible but I'd guess they'll get shut down.

I had my breakfast yesterday at one of my favourite Wetherspoons pub, The Quayside in Newcastle. It wasn’t very busy when I first arrived but it had only been open for an hour.  Wetherspoons have done a good job how they have organised things, plenty of signs and staff if you need help.  It did look a bit strange at first with the tables being well spaced and I certainly didn’t mind filling a form in with contact details.  I was surprise to see you can still get free coffee refills, but you have to sanitize your hands and use a clean cup each time you use the machine.  I for one will be going to support Wetherspoons when possible, the staff get a bonus on the profits each year, however I’m not sure they will this year. 

Its not just Wetherspoons putting prices up and making changes.  Later in the day I was in M&S and their coffee cups are a lot smaller.  The small cup has now become the medium size cup and it isn’t very big, I’m surprised at M&S doing this.  

27 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Social distancing in pubs and restaurants won't officially change until next year if ever. You'll get some landlords who won't care and cram in as many as possible but I'd guess they'll get shut down.

the social distancing will change over the coming weeks and months i think due to economic pressures a lot of businesses will not be viable, they are all being good at the moment and trying to adhere to the rules but it wont last. as for shutting people down maybe the odd few but long term our economy needs the revenue and the virus is for the majority a very nasty bout of flu and for a minority it is very serious as we know.

19 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I had my breakfast yesterday at one of my favourite Wetherspoons pub, The Quayside in Newcastle. It wasn’t very busy when I first arrived but it had only been open for an hour.  Wetherspoons have done a good job how they have organised things, plenty of signs and staff if you need help.  It did look a bit strange at first with the tables being well spaced and I certainly didn’t mind filling a form in with contact details.  I was surprise to see you can still get free coffee refills, but you have to sanitize your hands and use a clean cup each time you use the machine.  I for one will be going to support Wetherspoons when possible, the staff get a bonus on the profits each year, however I’m not sure they will this year. 

Its not just Wetherspoons putting prices up and making changes.  Later in the day I was in M&S and their coffee cups are a lot smaller.  The small cup has now become the medium size cup and it isn’t very big, I’m surprised at M&S doing this.  

its not a legal requirement to take contact details so most places wont do it.

48 minutes ago, casualbystander said:

the social distancing will change over the coming weeks and months i think due to economic pressures a lot of businesses will not be viable, they are all being good at the moment and trying to adhere to the rules but it wont last. as for shutting people down maybe the odd few but long term our economy needs the revenue and the virus is for the majority a very nasty bout of flu and for a minority it is very serious as we know.

its not a legal requirement to take contact details so most places wont do it.

The pictures I saw of the streets outside pubs in that there London didn't show alot of social distancing. 

As much as the economy needs to be opened up - something I'm acutely aware of- if you do it too early the numbers will go up, so there won't be much change for at least a couple of weeks at least so the government can see how the numbers are going. There have been several points where I thought the numbers would go up, VE day, big numbers at the beach, BLM marches, right wing nutter marches, shops opening and the numbers are still going down.

5 hours ago, hauxwell said:

the staff get a bonus on the profits each year, however I’m not sure they will this year. 

was the bonus being sacked instead of furlough?

Well,  I expected more discussion of what some of you found having a few beers out last night.

I expect most of us spent the night watching tele with a few cans or bottles as I did, but we're still interested in what those of you who did go out found.... or are you still nursing hangovers?

35 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Well,  I expected more discussion of what some of you found having a few beers out last night.

I expect most of us spent the night watching tele with a few cans or bottles as I did, but we're still interested in what those of you who did go out found.... or are you still nursing hangovers?

we went to one pub and turned round as the car park was heaving as well as the bar no social distancing going on, next place very quiet with loads of restrictions in place very off putting, had a couple of drinks and went and wont return if it continues like that, third venue was where we had a table booked little restrictions almost like normal and had a good night, nice food nice company, no idiots.

8 minutes ago, casualbystander said:

we went to one pub and turned round as the car park was heaving as well as the bar no social distancing going on, next place very quiet with loads of restrictions in place very off putting, had a couple of drinks and went and wont return if it continues like that, third venue was where we had a table booked little restrictions almost like normal and had a good night, nice food nice company, no idiots.

Is this some modern day Goldilocks. 

You complain that place one didn't enforce any restrictions which put you off.  Then you say that place two had lots of restrictions enforced which put you off????   

I'm not quite sure exactly what you want. 

You say that place three had "little restrictions and felt almost normal" but doesnt that make it just as bad as place one?   If so, why was venue one offputting but venue three just right.    It has to be more than just the number of people there.  All that proves is one is more popular than the other.

I am curious of your concerns regarding venue two.  You clearly have been off put by the heavy application of restrictions but isn't that what's supposed to happen?   Isn't that the very thing that every talking head and journalist has been banging on about ever since they announced he's in the lockdown.

People can't have it both ways.  We can't have people ranting about the crowded scenes from Soho and Brighton beach but then the exact same people ranting that they don't like the new regime in the pubs or hate the perspex everywhere or hate the bar staff wearing face masks or the lack of atmosphere..... We just need to adapt. 

I've said many times before on the covid thread.  This is going to be with us for a long time.  Its an incurable virus and we need to  put up with the changes so we can get on with our lives again.    

2 hours ago, casualbystander said:

Thanks for your reply,  It looks as I expected, with varied responses from both pubs and customers.  I think I'll wait a bit and see how things pan out, hoping those clearly flouting the rules are dealt with (i.e. closed down).  I was hoping with transmission rates going down we could get back to normality (no 1 metre rule etc) within a few weeks, but the likelihood of a 2nd spike is making this look optimistic.

13 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Is this some modern day Goldilocks. 

You complain that place one didn't enforce any restrictions which put you off.  Then you say that place two had lots of restrictions enforced which put you off????   

I'm not quite sure exactly what you want. 

You say that place three had "little restrictions and felt almost normal" but doesnt that make it just as bad as place one?   If so, why was venue one offputting but venue three just right.    It has to be more than just the number of people there.  All that proves is one is more popular than the other.

I am curious of your concerns regarding venue two.  You clearly have been off put by the heavy application of restrictions but isn't that what's supposed to happen?   Isn't that the very thing that every talking head and journalist has been banging on about ever since they announced he's in the lockdown.

People can't have it both ways.  We can't have people ranting about the crowded scenes from Soho and Brighton beach but then the exact same people ranting that they don't like the new regime in the pubs or hate the perspex everywhere or hate the bar staff wearing face masks or the lack of atmosphere..... We just need to adapt. 

I've said many times before on the covid thread.  This is going to be with us for a long time.  Its an incurable virus and we need to  put up with the changes so we can get on with our lives again.    

i dont want to feel that i am in some sort of medical experiment, masks, visors screens etc if i am spending good money, the first place as i said was rammed with youngsters drinking inside and out shoulder to shoulder, not what we expected, the second was way over the top with restrictions on distance, service, toilets, sineage  etc again i am not spending in that restricted environment, the third had some restrictions but not enough to spoil the evening.

this virus may be with us for a long time but i cant see any hospitality business surviving if the severe  restrictions are enforced for long.

i think gov will see if any spikes in next few weeks and if not the restrictions in place now will be lifted and pubs and restaurants go back to normal almost.