Pubs Reopening This Weekend.

53 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Plenty of other successful pub chains who didn’t treat their staff like crap.

Most other successful pub chains are mostly franchises and were still charging rent/rates during Covid. Greene King being one. 

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, casualbystander said:

he is a sensible businessman who was protecting his business, he will continue to do well, being an arsehole will not worry him a jot!

Oh that’s alright then - he gets to treat his staff terribly but he’s not worried .

maybe he’d worry if people stopped going in his pubs - or people refused to work for him.

see how well his business is protected then.

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I'd be concerned about handing over a fair amount of personal data to a load of strangers as well.  I wouldn't even be that happy about the landlord of my local & his staff having details & I've known him for years.  I'm not sure, (not spoken to him for months), that he's going to be that chuffed about having to take & keep all customer's details either in order to comply with the regulations? 

Apparently all personal details have to be kept for at least 21 days in case someone later presents COVID-19 symptoms at some stage.   Can you imagine the paperwork that this is going to create & also bars & pubs are going to have to keep such information in line with General Data Protection Regulations {GDPR), to keep that information secure while it's on their premises or else any breach or misuse of customers' personal details & they are looking at hefty fines. 

It's not just COVID-19 they've got to worry about. 

I'd also want assurances from any pub, bar or pub chain that me handing over my details, including my email address, doesn't constitute any right for them to bombard me at a later date with advertising via email or post.  I get enough post & email, junk mail as it is. 

GDPR has paled into insignificance with the amount of restrictions placed on your freedom, liberty and personal data - it should be the least of your worries.

we now live in a country where I could get a phone call in the next few minutes that says I can’t leave my house for the next 14 days. Not because I’ve done anything wrong, or that there’s anything wrong with me, but because someone on the phone tells me to.

madness.

4 hours ago, casualbystander said:

he is a sensible businessman who was protecting his business, he will continue to do well, being an arsehole will not worry him a jot!

He’ll have to do well without my money too.

Mind you, Spoons pubs always were low down on my list of places to drink.

10 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

He’ll have to do well without my money too.

Mind you, Spoons pubs always were low down on my list of places to drink.

agree its not a place i go to but its a business model catering for a specific clientele. 

1 hour ago, casualbystander said:

agree its not a place i go to but its a business model catering for a specific clientele. 

It’s a business model that will struggle if we don’t get a vaccine.

Pile ‘em high and sell it cheap only works if you have high demand. 

32 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

It’s a business model that will struggle if we don’t get a vaccine.

Pile ‘em high and sell it cheap only works if you have high demand. 

there is always high demand in the lower end of the market, some people prioritise others dont and put booze , fags, sky etc above all else? in fact if anything it would boom,watching from the sidelines.

Edited by casualbystander

24 minutes ago, casualbystander said:

there is always high demand in the lower end of the market, some people prioritise others dont and put booze , fags, sky etc above all else? in fact if anything it would boom,watching from the sidelines.

You seem to have forgotten the social distancing requirements. That alone will drive demand down.

Don't know who'd you consider the more stupid?  'Landlord', Paul Greasby or anyone who took up his offer of having a drink? 

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/controversial-sheffield-landlord-reopens-pubs-18541913

I'm going out on a limb here & suggesting that no additional money would have been spent on complying with COVID-19 regulations for pubs? 

So, a landlord loses his licence yet ignores this and continues trading?   I'll be keeping an eye on this via the Examiner to see if the boys in blue paid him a visit.  Hopefully, they closed the pubs down and took him away. 

I do think there’s a bit of an oldie holier than thou attitude to this thread. I’ve not been to the pub tonight but there again, even if I wasn’t shielding, I wouldn’t be in the local pubs on a Saturday night- too noisy for a sit down and sip a couple of glasses of wine person like me. Turn the clock back 50 years and I may well have, deprived of a social life and fearing my economic future, ventured out to cheap venues to lift my spirits. Secure in the advice I was ok to go back to work, shop ‘til I dropped and would only experience mild symptoms if I got the virus I’d have made the most of the relaxation of the rules. As for taking it home to older relatives I’d have been a teenager living on a different planet and already socially distanced from them pre Covid. Family and friends have told me the worst offenders against social distancing are the elderly who won’t wear masks, get too close in queues and can also be selfish. My friend, a supermarket worker, had told me that the person putting out price reductions has had to work within a physical barrier to stop people, mainly older, from grabbing things from his hands. As life returns to ‘normal’ so will people.

Edited by catmiss
Typo

Well said.

I work in retail and age plays very little part in it there are people of all ages who do/don’t observe social distancing.