Has This Year Changed You At All?

Guest makapaka

DAD DAD DAD DAD DAD DAD.

i thought it was tinnitus at first..........

41 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

No, not for the better.

More irritable. More acerbic. More argumentative. So I'm told.

I don't seem to be able to finish anything I start, usually being interrupted.

The dog, the postman, the courier trying to get me to take a neighbour's parcel. The phone.

The days drag, but fly by.

"Would you like a coffee?"

"Yes, please".

"Or tea? You can have tea if you want."

"Coffee's fine."

"Sure?"

"Yes, for Christ's sake! Coffee!"

"OK, OK! No need to get funny about it!"

"Right! Sorry! Tea! I'll have tea!"

"Or you can have a coffee if you really want..."

See what I mean?

Irritable!

Certainly with you on the first part of your post pal, I never seem to get anything done and the time flies.  Lost count of how long we've been grounded but in that time I've done virtually nothing.  There are free on-line courses I could have done, spring cleaning, learnt new skills, read some of the books I've bought and never opened, yet each day simply goes by.  I look forward to doing the shopping, when it used to be  a chore!

52 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I'm with you on the coffee if I'm honest.

Sure you don't want tea?

You can have tea if you want....

30 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Certainly with you on the first part of your post pal, I never seem to get anything done and the time flies.  Lost count of how long we've been grounded but in that time I've done virtually nothing.  There are free on-line courses I could have done, spring cleaning, learnt new skills, read some of the books I've bought and never opened, yet each day simply goes by.  I look forward to doing the shopping, when it used to be  a chore!

I'm with you on that. I didn't kick until April but I got loads done up till the end of May. June - practically nowt, apart from the aforementioned wall banger. 

29 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Sure you don't want tea?

You can have tea if you want....

FFS I'll make me self. What do you want?

9 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

FFS I'll make me self. What do you want?

Coffee.

Mug.

No, I'm not bothered what colour.

Nescafe.

2 large teaspoons.

2 sugars.

Black.

Ta.

The earlier conversation had actually taken place, by the way!

Not word perfect, but close enough.

Even more ridiculous was the fact that I haven't drunk tea in well over 50 years...but it was still offered as an option!

Little wonder I'm going mad!

10 hours ago, makapaka said:

DAD DAD DAD DAD DAD DAD.

Hahahaha.

Brilliant!

Good habits?

certainly different habits.

My routine has certainly changed but a has been replaced with a different one.

The getting up early thing hasn't changed (10 years as a milkman in the 1970' and 80's with 4am starts never leaves yer)

Going in the garage working on various projects has become less frequent.

The cycling to where I used to volunteer has gone along with the volunteering (for now).

I find my routine is now one I decide on the day (writing the book has took over at the moment) and is something I don't feel guilty about

If I decide to spend the day on the book or decide to work on one of my projects or even binge watch a tv series with HTSBO its all good and we are certainly more relaxed. 

Certainly Eating better - in respect of planning meals that last.

Home made Shepard's pies, bangers and mash, tuna bakes, stews all made with fresh ingredients (apart from the tinned tuna) if made in large enough quantities can last at least two days a piece. I have always liked mechanical challenges so the same principle can be carried over into daily life. not wanting to hoard but wanting to freeze bread for the first time ever, rather than having to run to the shops every two minutes had me looking at the freezer in a different way. removing the middle shelf (basket tray type thing which are always a funny shape) allowed me to start stacking from the bottom up rather than trying to cram everything into the basket things. bagged items like frozen chips etc find their own level laid flat so give you a perfect base for your boxed stuff which again can be better stacked. I can now get 4 loaves in at any one time. The top shelf which is still in place can be used for all the things that are opened or likely to be used sooner. makes sense? I can now shop less frequently and apart from milk which I don't drink and bread I'm only shopping once a month (result)

We are using less power than we used to (probably because i'm not welding as much & not as many soaps on't telly for her - lol)

Cars not getting used as much but that's another routine in it self remembering to start it up now and again.

So back to the book today and supping Coffee (probably drinking too much Coffee)(definitely drinking too much coffee) .

Neither of us drink (doesn't mean we didn't go out) so the whole alcohol thing hasn't been an issue. :hihi:

Keep Safe,

Eat Well 

See yer on the other side

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

On 29 June 2020 at 14:18, Pettytom said:

A simple question then. Has Covid changed you for the better? Have you developed any good habits? If so, will you be able to sustain the new you as things drift slowly back to normal?

No real change with work. I was remote-working whenever I felt like it before the confinement, now that we're deconfined I'm back to my old working/commute routine, "leading from the front" as it were. 

The remnants of confinment (many businesses are taking things a lot slower than local guidelines) make that commute a pleasure, that said; it's been feeling like late July/August on the roads ever since 25 May.

Not that much change personally either, whether in terms of activities, diet, drinking etc. We've not increased the drinking, which is something (...though there is the small matter of where we were starting from: I mea, 10L boxes of decent rosé are €18 here :lol:).

Like everyone, we've used the cars a lot less, which contributed to finally deciding to 'downgrade' from 3 to 2 cars (planning to bring back & sell both RHDs ex-UK cars this summer, confinment/travel policies allowing, & replace with single local LHD). Anyone after a well looked-after Merc C220 CDI, or a late & low miles Mk1 MX-5 with can't-be-betterred pedigree, watch this space.

With venues & outdoirs entertainment shut, we've watched more TV as well, though that is winding down now. And I've engaged in a bit more tinkering/projects than usual (refurbing old HiFi/speakers/electronics, just finished refoaming Altec Lansing 305's yesterday, starting on replacing the full keyboard board etc. on the kid's laptop tomorrow).

TFH, I'll trade you your perfected Wallbanger recipe for my perfected Mojito Italiano recipe ;)

Edited by L00b

2 hours ago, L00b said:

The remnants of confinment (many businesses are taking things a lot slower than local guidelines) make that commute a pleasure, that said; it's been feeling like late July/August on the roads ever since 25 May.

Ha. I’ve just driven from Sheffield to Paris. It was a mirror image of the usual trip. UK roads very quiet, including the M25 and Dartford Crossing.

Really busy in France. Paris especially, but the motorway was hectic all the way from Calais.

2 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Ha. I’ve just driven from Sheffield to Paris. It was a mirror image of the usual trip. UK roads very quiet, including the M25 and Dartford Crossing.

Really busy in France. Paris especially, but the motorway was hectic all the way from Calais.

Ive just drove from Handsworth to Woodhouse Mill,  Hectic all the way,  :hihi:

20 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

That might soon change, if Hidalgo makes good on her electoral promises, after regaining the Paris mayoral mandate on a green voting wave this past weekend.

I'd expect the period of confinement to have had a sizeable (further-) greening effect on political opinions and voting intentions, in France at least.

I left out an important change earlier, partly motivated by the confinement (rather, how the local government handled it, and still now): we've decided to stay long-term, and are now looking to buy a property. It's (1) weird and (2) not for the faint-hearted...and I don't mean visiting places with masks and hand gel :D

Edited by L00b

17 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Ive just drove from Handsworth to Woodhouse Mill,  Hectic all the way,  :hihi:

I’d happily swap you😀

15 hours ago, makapaka said:

DAD DAD DAD DAD DAD DAD.

With so many kids and grandkids I find myself answering to other peoples kids aswell at times - LOL.

43 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I'm in Wales at the moment - Well my book is - don't you just love Google Street View for research ?

Certainly saves on petrol (tight Scotsman)