Old Sit Coms and Game Shows

Anyone been watching Alan Carr on a Saturday night reviving some of the old gameshows?  We have been watching and my 16 year old stepdaughter was with us this weekend watching Play Your Cards Right she was quite into it. I used to love Blankety Blank most of all with Les Dawson, Terry Wogan,  even Lily Savage. I'd like to see that come back, maybe with Lee Mack, or Peter Kay ? 

6 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

He would make  a brilliant gameshow host, down to earth,  funny and could interact well with the contesrants ,  a new version of the  Generation game would suit him.

Well, he is in discussions with BBC but no idea what this project will be.

https://www.heart.co.uk/showbiz/tv-movies/peter-kay-new-show-bbc/

Lee Mack, I can't find him funny, no matter what he does, tbf, all modern sit coms are rubbish these days,   its probably an age thing with me because the old sit coms are literally hard acts to follow,  must be a nightmare for writers ect these days,  :roll:

8 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Lee Mack, I can't find him funny, no matter what he does, tbf, all modern sit coms are rubbish these days,   its probably an age thing with me because the old sit coms are literally hard acts to follow,  must be a nightmare for writers ect these days,  :roll:

I also don’t find the modern sitcoms funny. There certainly are not any belly laughs in them like the old sit coms. When I think of , It Ain’t Half Hot, Porridge, On The Buses, etc; they were far superior, and you laughed out loud while watching them. 

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

I also don’t find the modern sitcoms funny. There certainly are not any belly laughs in them like the old sit coms. When I think of , It Ain’t Half Hot, Porridge, On The Buses, etc; they were far superior, and you laughed out loud while watching them. 

I must be a miserable sod. The only time I laughed out loud at a sitcom was watching John Cleese goose stepping with a bandage round his head and now they’ve banned it.

40 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

I must be a miserable sod. The only time I laughed out loud at a sitcom was watching John Cleese goose stepping with a bandage round his head and now they’ve banned it.

Seriously Jim, I nearly died laughing at that episode, true...

I was hysterical and fell of the sofa laughing, I couldn't get my breath for laughing.

In fact I love every episode of Faulty Towers, still watch them now (for the umpteen time) and still as funny.

On 07/08/2020 at 07:26, pattricia said:

I fully agree .   I think there some decent dramas  knocking about tho,  Poldark, line of duty for example but like I mentioned earlier, the so called sit coms  I find unfunny, I think America are in the same boat these days,  they dont  I make gems like Cheers and Taxi  any more infact the Majority of the actors in  Cheers and Taxi all went on to be big Film stars that indicates the quality,  same over here the likes of Porridge Faulty towers and Rising damp,  I cant imagine anyone in todays sit coms  become film stars, :hihi:

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

I fully agree .   I think there some decent dramas  knocking about tho,  Poldark, line of duty for example but like I mentioned earlier, the so called sit coms  I find unfunny, I think America are in the same boat these days,  they dont  I make gems like Cheers and Taxi  any more infact the Majority of the actors in  Cheers and Taxi all went on to be big Film stars that indicates the quality,  same over here the likes of Porridge Faulty towers and Rising damp,  I cant imagine anyone in todays sit coms  become film stars, :hihi:

Oh really.  Well here is a just a quick selection.....

Martin Freeman from the Office

Ricky Gervais from the Office

James Corden from Gavin and Stacey

Olivia Coleman from 2012/Mitchell & Webb/Fleabag

Julia Davis from Nighty Night

Chris O'Dowd/Matt Berry/Richard Ayoade from The IT Crowd

Tasmin Greg from Black Books/Green Wing/Friday Night Dinner

Peter Capaldi from The Thick of It

Joanna Scanlan from Getting On/No Offence

Phoebe Waller-Bridge from Fleabag

Sally Bretton from Not Going Out

I think you need to do a little more research.   They are actors.   Whether you personally think that "todays" comedy is not as good as the old days is irrelevant.   If a show is popular enough and the actors well thought of they will get work and advance their careers.   They dont just get cast in these roles by picking a name out of a hat.

Over the pond many of the modern day US superstar movie actors will have got their breaks in TV sitcoms.  Chris Pratt is one perfect example as is Mila Kunis and Shia LaBeouf who started his work on the back end of the cable networks in Disney Channel shows.   Even going back to the alleged "glory days" it was sitcoms (good and bad) which gave a platform for people like Tom Hanks, Steve Carrell, George Clooney, Jennifer Anniston and of course the great Robin Williams.

I can imagine back then people who weren't fans of Mork and Mindy or Roseanne or Facts of Life or thought Friends was a pile of dung would have also been just as dismissive and critical of such stars.   Didn't mean they weren't talented people who could go and hit the big time.

Whilst I admit there are some absolutely timeless classics mostly penned by Ronnie Baker - I never go in for this "its was all better back then" nostalgic nonsense.    On the Buses is awful.   It was back then and is now on repeats.  2 gags repeatedley infinitum across god knows how many seasons.  Even when Reg Varney left they could not get it die and dragged it out for a few more episodes.  Same concept with Mind your Language, Curry and Chips, Are you Being Served, Love Thy Neighbour.....  Its entire premise was hahaha look at the funny foreigner or a bit of pantomime style lusting over some bird with big knockers.

Even the 'greats' such as  Two Ronnies, Dave Allen, Morcome and Wise have some elements of their work which really really have not aged well.  In fact for many re-runs entire segments/dialogue has had to be silenced out or cut completely due to its nature. 

I'm sure it is a generational thing but one has to concede that times move on.   Just because 'modern' stuff is different does not automatically mean its less quality.    Just because 'modern' stuff has more swearing does not mean its automatically more offensive than the old days.  In fact, compared to some of the subject material from the 70s and 80s the use of the F word or stronger is significantly more acceptable.

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

They just don’t have the script writers anymore ( with the exception of The Office) They seem afraid of offending viewers. Can you imagine Alf Garnett being acceptable today ?

36 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Oh really.  Well here is a just a quick selection.....

Martin Freeman from the Office

Ricky Gervais from the Office

James Corden from Gavin and Stacey

Olivia Coleman from 2012/Mitchell & Webb/Fleabag

Julia Davis from Nighty Night

Chris O'Dowd/Matt Berry/Richard Ayoade from The IT Crowd

Tasmin Greg from Black Books/Green Wing/Friday Night Dinner

Peter Capaldi from The Thick of It

Joanna Scanlan from Getting On/No Offence

Phoebe Waller-Bridge from Fleabag

Sally Bretton from Not Going Out

I think you need to do a little more research.   They are actors.   Whether you personally think that "todays" comedy is not as good as the old days is irrelevant.   If a show is popular enough and the actors well thought of they will get work and advance their careers.   They dont just get cast in these roles by picking a name out of a hat.

Over the pond many of the modern day US superstar movie actors will have got their breaks in TV sitcoms.  Chris Pratt is one perfect example as is Mila Kunis and Shia LaBeouf who started his work on the back end of the cable networks in Disney Channel shows.   Even going back to the alleged "glory days" it was sitcoms (good and bad) which gave a platform for people like Tom Hanks, Steve Carrell, George Clooney, Jennifer Anniston and of course the great Robin Williams.

I can imagine back then people who weren't fans of Mork and Mindy or Roseanne or Facts of Life or thought Friends was a pile of dung would have also been just as dismissive and critical of such stars.   Didn't mean they weren't talented people who could go and hit the big time.

Whilst I admit there are some absolutely timeless classics mostly penned by Ronnie Baker - I never go in for this "its was all better back then" nostalgic nonsense.    On the Buses is awful.   It was back then and is now on repeats.  2 gags repeatedley infinitum across god knows how many seasons.  Even when Reg Varney left they could not get it die and dragged it out for a few more episodes.  Same concept with Mind your Language, Curry and Chips, Are you Being Served, Love Thy Neighbour.....  Its entire premise was hahaha look at the funny foreigner or a bit of pantomime style lusting over some bird with big knockers.

Even the 'greats' such as  Two Ronnies, Dave Allen, Morcome and Wise have some elements of their work which really really have not aged well.  In fact for many re-runs entire segments/dialogue has had to be silenced out or cut completely due to its nature. 

I'm sure it is a generational thing but one has to concede that times move on.   Just because 'modern' stuff is different does not automatically mean its less quality.    Just because 'modern' stuff has more swearing does not mean its automatically more offensive than the old days.  In fact, compared to some of the subject material from the 70s and 80s the use of the F word or stronger is significantly more acceptable.

Apart from Oliva Coleman and Ricky Gervais and Martin Freeman  the rest you mentioned are just one step up from being Extras, :hihi: Im on about big stars like Ted Danson, Christopher Llyod, Kirsty Alley, Danny Devito,  by the way the Office is around 20yrs old not one of todays sit coms. :roll:

2 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Apart from Oliva Coleman and Ricky Gervais and Martin Freeman  the rest you mentioned are just one step up from being Extras, :hihi: Im on about big stars like Ted Danson, Christopher Llyod, Kirsty Alley, Danny Devito,  by the way the Office is around 20yrs old not one of todays sit coms. :roll:

You are doing it again. You are taking your own personal opinion as if it's fact. Just because you have never heard of them does not automatically mean they are not big stars.

You declared that ".....don't imagine most modern sitcom actors would become film stars..."   I've given you several examples which counter that position and now you are trying to nitpick about who you recognise and the level of their roles in films.

Go and do some research. Take a look at some of your own examples of what you deem big stars - you will find that they didn't exactly have blockbuster movie after blockbuster movie.  Many of those 'big star' actors in between films will do lower level television work or cameo roles or theatre work just like many of the 'modern' sitcom actors do.  Sometimes such roles will be a smash hit, another time they will be a ratings flop.  A big name alone doesn't automatically mean a good programme.  

Yes I'm aware that The Office was 20 years ago but given you were harking back to the 'glory days' of sitcoms from from over 40+ years ago - you are not exactly clear in your interpretation  "modern" or "todays" sitcoms.

Doesn't this all really boil down to to a load of simplistic......dont like change...... all this youth stuff is rubbish......and everything was better in the old days....

Edited by ECCOnoob

44 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

You are doing it again. You are taking your own personal opinion as if it's fact. Just because you have never heard of them does not automatically mean they are not big stars.

You declared that ".....don't imagine most modern sitcom actors would become film stars..."   I've given you several examples which counter that position and now you are trying to nitpick about who you recognise and the level of their roles in films.

Go and do some research. Take a look at some of your own examples of what you deem big stars - you will find that they didn't exactly have blockbuster movie after blockbuster movie.  Many of those 'big star' actors in between films will do lower level television work or cameo roles or theatre work just like many of the 'modern' sitcom actors do.  Sometimes such roles will be a smash hit, another time they will be a ratings flop.  A big name alone doesn't automatically mean a good programme.  

Yes I'm aware that The Office was 20 years ago but given you were harking back to the 'glory days' of sitcoms from from over 40+ years ago - you are not exactly clear in your interpretation  "modern" or "todays" sitcoms.

Doesn't this all really boil down to to a load of simplistic......dont like change...... all this youth stuff is rubbish......and everything was better in the old days....

Correct!  it is my opinion and to be honest I dont read  most of the drivel in your long winded post,  :roll:

Edited by PRESLEY