Schweitzer Furniture Store In The Wicker?

Does any one recall the Schwietzer shop in the Wicker and if so ever know of or recall hearing of an 'Albert' Schweitzer or a 'Nan' Schweitzer,  think they might have been husband and wife - but no children?  This would have been around perhaps 1930-1950's. 

they had shops in the wicker and market area if I recall,but I thought 50-70s might be wrong

Sheffield Independent, 7 Nov 1935.

L & P Schweitzer, late of Duke Street, Park, announce the opening of a New Store

19-21 Wicker, Sheffield.  Lift to all floors.

Later the article mentions Mr Leon Schweitzer and Mr Percy Schweitzer, decendents of a well known

family who have served the needs of Sheffield for half a century.

1939 register, 5 Slayleigh Lane, Sheffield.

Percy Schweitzer born 21 Aug 1909, Furniture Director & Partner in Company, Single.

Sarah Schweitzer, born 25 Oct 1886, Private means, Widowed.

Not found Leon in 1939, but, there is this....

1939, Grand Hotel, Leopold St, Sheffield.

Lena Schweitzer, born 8 March 1889, Partner in furniture business, Widow.

I lived in Wicker and I can remember Schweitzers well. You could get things on "tick" which was the only way for most families of that era which must have been in the 50s. If my memory serves me right it would have been next to the big gun pub.

Think the one near market was Sugarmans, similar place, they did never never too.

1 hour ago, Kidorry said:

I lived in Wicker and I can remember Schweitzers well. You could get things on "tick" which was the only way for most families of that era which must have been in the 50s. If my memory serves me right it would have been next to the big gun pub.

It was in this building.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;a00229&prevUrl=

You can just see the furniture in the shop window on this photo.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t01160&prevUrl=

My great-aunt Doris was a maid for Leon and Percy Schweitzer's mother Sarah at her Slayleigh Lane home in the 1940s and always spoke highly of the family. Kelly's directories from the 1930s onwards show the furniture business of L. & P. Schweitzer at 19-21 Wicker. Leon and Percy both officially changed their surname to Sherwood, this being published in the London Gazette of 10 September 1940 (see link below) but Leon was evidently known by the name Sherwood earlier, as he is shown as Leon Sherwood at 18 Clarendon Road, Sheffield in directories from 1937 onwards. The 1939 Register shows him as "Leon Sherwood (Schweitzer)" at 66 Leach Lane, Lytham St Anne's, along with his wife Hilde(gard), née Netter, whom he had married in Sheffield in 1935. This was perhaps their second home. Leon died in 1960; Percy Sherwood is listed at 5 Slayleigh Lane until the last Kelly's directory of 1974.  https://i.postimg.cc/7LpNwhx0/Schweitzer.jpg

Hi Hillsbro, perhaps the change of name was due to the war, Schweitzer being German?

Hi AKAMD - yes, that could well be the reason.  To judge from census data, the Schweitzers of Sheffield mostly had their origins in Poland and Russia, but the name certainly sounds German and many such names were changed as a result of the war.

Does anyone remember Wilcox furniture shop on Hillsborough.I think they were related to Schweitzers.