We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Click here for details.

Boy 10 Bitten By Police Dog

An innocent young boy was bitten by a police dog in Beighton disgusting the dog had already caught the villan but he ran off as a group of youngsters passed.. The dog  should have been put on a lead straight away.... 

It's always surprised me that its considered acceptable for someone to be bitten by a dog - with skin punctured, bleeding etc - merely on suspicion of being a criminal

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, dave_the_m said:

It's always surprised me that its considered acceptable for someone to be bitten by a dog - with skin punctured, bleeding etc - merely on suspicion of being a criminal

Doesn't work like that.  

I think you need to read up on the techniques, training and controls the police procedures are when using apprehension dogs.  Nor would there have been a use for the police to deploy it if the suspect didn't give them reason to.  

You dont just send them out to go and bite someone's arm off if they are coming along quietly. 

Now, if this tragic accident as described by the OP has happened and then the police will be dealing with it and no doubt there will be compensatory avenues that the victim will be taking.  I think there is more to the story than has been said though.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

3 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Doesn't work like that.  

I think you need to read up on the techniques, training and controls the police procedures are when using apprehension dogs.  Nor would there have been a use for the police to deploy it if the suspect didn't give them reason to.  

You dont just send them out to go and bite someone's arm off if they are coming along quietly. 

Now, if this tragic accident as described by the OP has happened and then the police will be dealing with it and no doubt there will be compensatory avenues that the victim will be taking.  I think there is more to the story than has been said though.  

I think you need to read-up on the statistics re:  the number of of people injured, some of them quite severely others permanantly disfigured,  because these animals get out of control.  They can and have caused horrific injuries to totally innocent people and also to people who have been convicted of nothing. but have tried to evade the police.  

In the light of current events perhaps it is time to consider whether the police should be setting savage animals on citizens for any reason at all.

As for "compensatory avenues"  ask the injured parties whether anything compensates for the pain and trauma.

7 hours ago, dave_the_m said:

An old buddy of mine who is ex Police (not SYP) once refereed to police dogs as badly trained meat seeking missiles. He clarified that the dedicated sniffer digs are a different kettle of fish and are amongst the best trained dogs in the world. I cant comment on either though.

12 hours ago, Elmambo said:

I think you need to read-up on the statistics re:  the number of of people injured, some of them quite severely others permanantly disfigured,  because these animals get out of control.  They can and have caused horrific injuries to totally innocent people and also to people who have been convicted of nothing. but have tried to evade the police.  

In the light of current events perhaps it is time to consider whether the police should be setting savage animals on citizens for any reason at all.

As for "compensatory avenues"  ask the injured parties whether anything compensates for the pain and trauma.

I have every sympathy with the little boy and his family but absolutely none for those who have been bitten by dogs or tasered who have ignored warnings from the police to stop they only have themselves to blame and it is about time people started to take into consideration what the police have to endure and the total inadequacy of the sentences passed by the courts in many cases

1 hour ago, Bigal1 said:

I have every sympathy with the little boy and his family but absolutely none for those who have been bitten by dogs or tasered who have ignored warnings from the police to stop they only have themselves to blame and it is about time people started to take into consideration what the police have to endure and the total inadequacy of the sentences passed by the courts in many cases

Woah steady on. Wrong place for sensible comments. That is not the SF way.

17 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Doesn't work like that.  

If the dog suffers from apprehension then it won't  be very good at apprehending anyone. It seems this dog was apprehensive though this didnt stop  it attacking the boy. In all cases with dog attacks the blame lies with the owner or in this case the police handler. 

29 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Woah steady on. Wrong place for sensible comments. That is not the SF way.

sorry my mistake will learn from it I promise

9 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

So what you are saying is; the penalty for failing to stop for a police officer is either to be savaged by a vicious dog or electrocuted ?  Be careful what you wish for,  in my experience people are all for extreme punishments until it happens to them or theirs.  It is the job of the courts to impose punishment, not the police.  My firm advice is - stop reading the Daily Mail. 

51 minutes ago, Elmambo said:

So what you are saying is; the penalty for failing to stop for a police officer is either to be savaged by a vicious dog or electrocuted ?  Be careful what you wish for,  in my experience people are all for extreme punishments until it happens to them or theirs.  It is the job of the courts to impose punishment, not the police.  My firm advice is - stop reading the Daily Mail. 

are you saying that all police dogs are trained to savage people, and all the use of tazers electrocute people.   give over sensationalising.

C&P

VERB

If someone is electrocuted, they are accidentally killed or badly injured when they touch something connected to a source of electricity.

46 minutes ago, kidley said:

are you saying that all police dogs are trained to savage people, and all the use of tazers electrocute people.   give over sensationalising.

C&P

VERB

If someone is electrocuted, they are accidentally killed or badly injured when they touch something connected to a source of electricity.

The ones that are not sniffer dogs et., are trained to attack are they not ?  Or are they trained to lick people into submission ?  At least 150, innocent citizens have been attacked (according to the BBC) over the last three years.  Do a little reseach, have a look at the horrific wounds these creatures can inflict.  If you think that is acceptable in a modern society, then fair enoug h- I don't.

As for Taser's, are you aware that (according to Amnesty) 18, people in the UK,  have died  after a Taser was discharged at them ?  Many more have been injured.  If you believe that applying 50,000, volts to a person is just a little tickle, think on - they are potentially deadly weapons.