Disabled Man Starves To Death During Covid.

2 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Where a person has died of starvation, in law it must go on the death certificate,or the Coroner's office are not doing their job.

Starvation isn't a cause of death is it - surely heart failure or organ failure due to starvation is the cause of death

1 hour ago, Litotes said:

Starvation isn't a cause of death is it - surely heart failure or organ failure due to starvation is the cause of death

Malnutrition can go on a death certificate as primary cause.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

10 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Did he register with any supermarket deliveries?!?!

Not unless he was incredibly quick off the mark and had a computer. That said if you were  labled "at risk" by the council (certainly ours) food arrived. 

The letter I received as someone identified as ‘extremely vulnerable ‘ asked me to register for support on line OR via a telephone number provided which was an automated service. Both options required some degree of expertise. I received basic but adequate ‘care packages’ until I was provided with priority on line access to supermarket home delivery. It’s worked ok for me BUT the qualifying conditions were limited to a few conditions. The government also identified a vulnerable category of over 70s and disabled with supermarkets identifying specific shopping hours. I have experience of NHS, local government, voluntary organisations and friends/family  confusing the two groups. Friends have told me I can  use the specific shopping hours and a neighbour verbally attacked me for receiving home delivery when her family of six didn’t have access.

A lot of people, particularly if they weren’t on statutory or voluntary sector radars will have fallen through the cracks and received little or no support. I deregistered for the care packages once I had access to online shopping but I know of several people who have continued receipt whilst making trips to supermarkets

17 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

There is a chain of events leading up to that.  There are a multitude of reasons to be explored whether through self neglect, abandonment, self-harm, negligence by others, institutional failure....

There was a guy a year or two who died this way.  His death was used as a political football, with emphasis on "nasty government" rather than the fact the guy had friends and family and deliberately cut himself off from them and became a recluse shunning and help and support.

It doesn't make this or any situation right, just that there's often more to a story.

57 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

It doesn't make this or any situation right, just that there's often more to a story.

Completely agree.

That's why I hate this sort of lazy half-assed shock journalism and people who jump all over it to further their cause without considering the full context.

Let's face it.  This run of Tory governments has an appalling record on it's responsibilities to disabled people.

1 hour ago, Lex Luthor said:

Let's face it.  This run of Tory governments has an appalling record on it's responsibilities to disabled people.

Connected to this tragedy because......? 

16 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

This happened in Streatham which is covered by Lambeth Council, a Labour run operation. But let's not let facts ruin your vendetta against the Conservative government. 🙄

On 25/06/2020 at 19:25, ECCOnoob said:

No they don't.

There is a chain of events leading up to that.  There are a multitude of reasons to be explored whether through self neglect, abandonment, self-harm, negligence by others, institutional failure....

I don't work in a world of "...just because"  

Irrespective to the chain of events,   the person in question starved to death,  :roll:

42 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Irrespective to the chain of events,   the person in question starved to death,  :roll:

Nobody is denying that.  The question is why? 

4 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Nobody is denying that.  The question is why? 

I think the question should be did it happen at all or is it just fake news to make a statistical point? There are no details at all to back this up and as the press are normally all over this sort of thing its seems a bit iffy. Even doing a search in the local newspapers in that area throws up nothing.

Edited by apelike