Devonshire Cat Not Reopening As Abbeydale Pub

An announcement from Abbeydale brewery

"It is with great sadness that we must announce that the Devonshire Cat will not be re-opening as an Abbeydale Brewery pub.

With the underlying trend of a reduction in footfall over the past years it has become increasingly challenging to run the Devonshire Cat as a viable business. This is despite every effort made by our team to make it a warm and welcoming venue with a fantastic food and drink offering, and we’re hugely proud of what we were able to achieve in our little corner of Sheffield.

It is, therefore, inevitable that the Covid-19 outbreak has had a devastating effect on the viability of this business. Unfortunately, the rateable value of our city centre venue was too high to benefit from the grants offered at this time. Given the uncertainty surrounding the future of the hospitality industry and the prospect of long term changes to social interaction, we have come to the decision that we are not in a position to re-open.

We would like to take this opportunity of recognising the efforts of our truly dedicated and hardworking staff members and we are now focussed on supporting those who are impacted by this course of events. We have ensured that all of the local suppliers and breweries that worked with us before the country-wide closure in March have been paid.

We will miss the Devonshire Cat so much, and wish to thank all of our customers over the years for their amazing support. We are disappointed not to have the opportunity to have a proper goodbye but would love to see all of you up at the Rising Sun, which will continue to represent Abbeydale Brewery into the future.

Kittens out."

That sounds from the heart sad times we live in.

Sorry to see this.

I do feel that it was better before they moved the bar though.

I wonder if this had any effect on trade.

12 hours ago, cityspinner said:

Sorry to see this.

I do feel that it was better before they moved the bar though.

I wonder if this had any effect on trade.

Abbeydale made changes to the Rising Sun when the old landlord left too, and that ruined the atmosphere of that place.  Attracts a different type of clientelle now.

5 hours ago, soopah said:

Abbeydale made changes to the Rising Sun when the old landlord left too, and that ruined the atmosphere of that place.  Attracts a different type of clientelle now.

It does attract a lot of them though, generally busy whenever I go in, and it's a bigger space than it was.

Terrible news. And you wonder how many more city center venues will follow suit before long. ☹️

A casualty of these times I'm afraid. We are losing 2 well established pubs in Minehead. The free trade I reckon will pull through, but the pub co establishments have had ongoing rent, business rates etc to pay since March!

Sorry for the staff but they ruined it with the last re fit imo, went twice paid over the odds for beer and had to wait ages while they faffed around making cocktails, was not busy either.

Remember it from years ago was an iconic pub used to have forum meets in there too lol.

I used to go in lots in the 00s when a city centre pub with a good selection of beer was still quite a novelty.  It was a good place to meet as it was central, big with lot of seats and had a mixed varied  crowd. Main downside was how loud it was - due to there being nothing to soak up the sound.

I havent been in much since the refurb, whcih always struck me as a bit odd - i'm not sure who they were aiming at. I suppose its rare i go into town these days - i wonder how much they lost their trade to kelham island or all the pubs a mile or two out of town with decent beer.

Still sad to see it go - but dare say someone else will take it over

Edited by jake

On 23/06/2020 at 20:54, Fudbeer said:

Sorry for the staff but they ruined it with the last re fit imo, went twice paid over the odds for beer and had to wait ages while they faffed around making cocktails, was not busy either.

Remember it from years ago was an iconic pub used to have forum meets in there too lol.

yeah i went to one in there once

On 23/06/2020 at 08:53, soopah said:

What sort exactly? Is it the sort of people one would not want to share a pub with?

4 hours ago, nightrider said:

What sort exactly? Is it the sort of people one would not want to share a pub with?

Perfectly pleasant people before, and perfectly pleasant after. Similar clientele, just more of them.