Hi folks.

Wasn't sure where to put this so apologies in advance.

I just acquired an arc welder and plan to teach myself. My first project is going to be a climbing frame for my kids. However I'm not sure where to buy steel from. Anybody here able to help/advise?.

Also, any scrap metal bits available for donation that i can practice on would be greatly received.

Cheers

Bob

Any old bits of scrap put out for the scrapman will do the job , just make sure it's not galvanised and clean off paint and rust before starting

Appolo Metals on Saville street I find reasonable for small quantities. Also Kenrey steels at Deepcar may help.

Good advice from Thorpist. Make sure the rods are dry too.

Where are you I might be able to help you, I also have full packets of small gauge rods which you are welcome to, i think they may need to go in the oven for short time.

Be aware that all welding rods are not the same . eg you will struggle to weld with a basic coated rod (low hydrogen) but a rutile rod will be fine .

The open circuit voltage will not be high enough to run off a low hydrogen rod on a DIY set

On 23/06/2020 at 09:12, cuttingedge said:

Where are you I might be able to help you, I also have full packets of small gauge rods which you are welcome to, i think they may need to go in the oven for short time.

Hi

Sorry for the late reply. I work in education and all went to hell in August as well you know.  
If the offer is still there for the spare rods I'll take you up on it.

Cheers

On 23/06/2020 at 18:06, Thorpist said:

Be aware that all welding rods are not the same . eg you will struggle to weld with a basic coated rod (low hydrogen) but a rutile rod will be fine .

The open circuit voltage will not be high enough to run off a low hydrogen rod on a DIY set

Thanks.

I'll now be doing more research!