On Line Purchases, Problem With Payment

I have added several items to "the  bag" on the M&S website using my iPad 4.

It got to the "pay securely page" and all I got was a spinning cicrcle.

That was last night and I assume the web site was very busy so I tried again this morning...same result.

So I went through the  whole procedure and lo and behold straight to the pay page paid my bill and logged off.

I did notice that I was in private mode on the iPad, how I to there I don't know never heard of it!

Any explanation as to why I got stuck  on the spinning circle?

I forgot to add that this morning the successful attempt was on my iMac

Edited by davyboy

Private mode hides cookies or something I think and there’s no browsing history maybe that had something to do with it ? It’s the two overlapping squares top right of your screen turns it on and off.

It might be dependant on the size of Ram on your iPad4, which I'm sure would be bigger on an iMac. Or the site was just busy, with everyone ordering at the same time.

When it comes to the payment validation page, it's actually a page from a credit card company's site embedded in the vendors page.

This technique is considered bad from a privacy/security point of view. To you it looks like you're going to siteitrust.com but you are really getting (some) content from anothersite.com. This can obviously be used to trick people into entering information into unknown sites believing they are entering it into a site they trust. So by default it's blocked by privacy/security extensions.

If you can't find some settings that let you add it to an allow list for that vendor/card provider combination you'll have to remember to turn off private browsing when you shop online.

50 minutes ago, altus said:

When it comes to the payment validation page, it's actually a page from a credit card company's site embedded in the vendors page.

This technique is considered bad from a privacy/security point of view. To you it looks like you're going to siteitrust.com but you are really getting (some) content from anothersite.com. This can obviously be used to trick people into entering information into unknown sites believing they are entering it into a site they trust. So by default it's blocked by privacy/security extensions.

If you can't find some settings that let you add it to an allow list for that vendor/card provider combination you'll have to remember to turn off private browsing when you shop online.

Whilst true, modern browsers will only block embedded content if it's not secure, or if the page being embedded doesn't have the appropriate CSP settings. It's perfectly fine for something like a payment page from a third party to be embedded in a site if it's been configured correctly. I'd be very surprised if M&S hadn't tested their payment page on an iPad.

Had the same problem using iPad Pro trying to pay for Sainsbury’s order.  After failing a few times over a week I tried on my MacBook. It informed me at the card verification state that a pop-up was being blocked and did I want to allow it.  When allowed it turned out to be the bank verification process.  The pop-up warning never appeared on iPad just the spinning circle.

thanks for all the replies