Road Names In Wadsley

Whilst looking at some old maps of the Wadsley area ... specifically those behind the Church ... I’ve noticed that most of their names changed.

On an OS map dated 1888 - 1913  compared to current, the situation is 

Airedale Road ... was Argyle Road

Milden Road ... was Miller Road

Marlcliffe Road ... was Marlborough Avenue **

Vainor Road ... was Vicarage Road

** This road was the only one showing actual houses ... a small terrace near to the Langsett Road end.  No sign of the School.

Grove Avenue and Don Avenue didn’t change.

Worral Road is shown as Church Lane

Laird Road is shown as Crabtree Lane.

Any ideas ?

Peter Harvey, in his book "Street Names of Sheffield", doesn't explain all the name changes but tells us that often a road was renamed when the boundaries of Sheffield were extended, to avoid confusion with another road of the same name in Sheffield. In Wadsley he gives this explanation for Argyle/Airedale Road and Marlborough/Marlcliffe Road. This also applies to some roads nearby in Hillsborough, such as Providence Road which became Portsea Road, and Fowler Street which became Findon Street. These changes took place between 1903 and 1906.

Cheers Hillsboro ...

... since entering my post, I’ve realised that I knew that Roselle Street, in Hillsborough, was re-named from Rose Street.

I have also ‘learned’ that the catalyst for these changes is when the area of Hillsborough was absorbed into Sheffield City ... from the West Riding Council.  Sounds feasible.

I lived on Milden road with my parents & sister from my birth in 1950 to the mid 60s. I think the house and probably the whole area was built between WW1 & WW2. My paternal grandfather first bought the house presumably new and my parents bought it off him sometime in the late 40s. I drove past it a few years ago and the house and surrounding area looked much the same, as in my childhood. Maybe the trees had grown somewhat and many more cars of course.

Hi Tezden ,

Yes, it was in 1901 that Hillsborough became part of Sheffield; before that it had been in the Ecclesfield/Wortley district of the West Riding. Other name changes in Hillsborough are Milner Road that became Minto Road, Green Street that became Greenock Street and Beverley Road that became Beulah Road, all in 1903.

Edited by hillsbro