Formatting Laptop.

2 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Please dont confuse "Downloading" with "Installing"

Downloading, is getting something from the internet/a website..

Installing is what you do with it after... (actually putting it onto the laptop)

It sounds like potentially you could have a HardDrive Error... see how you go, and if you have any more problems, let us know here... :)

I think my problem was impatience and ignorance because when the laptop froze I just switched it off. When I restarted with the disc in, it went to install where it left off, and from there it  went well. Today it is running great. I am trying to download viber but I am having problems. After I click the download button the next thing I see is a small window saying this programme is not compatible. I tried  downloading the 64-Bit ( my system is 64-Bit)Ubuntu and Fedora and they both come out with the same result. I will keep trying because it will keep me out of mischief. Thank you for correcting my download and install boob.

2 hours ago, Kidorry said:

I think my problem was impatience and ignorance because when the laptop froze I just switched it off. When I restarted with the disc in, it went to install where it left off, and from there it  went well. Today it is running great. I am trying to download viber but I am having problems. After I click the download button the next thing I see is a small window saying this programme is not compatible. I tried  downloading the 64-Bit ( my system is 64-Bit)Ubuntu and Fedora and they both come out with the same result. I will keep trying because it will keep me out of mischief. Thank you for correcting my download and install boob.

Maybe there isn't a version available for your Distro? - also make sure you're trying to download the Linux one and not Windows (It's silly, but an easy mistake to make...) 

I can't see a Linux compatible version on their website... 

I managed to install viber from the flatpack( I think it is called) but when I called someone it froze the laptop. The laptop is now working O.K. after a forced shut down and I will try to sort things out tomorrow.

ah, FlatHub... 

What distribution of Linux are you using? (xfce is just the desktop environment)

It is Linux Mint Debian LMDE4 64 -Bit.

2 hours ago, Kidorry said:

Would I be better off using this if I wanted Wi-Fi? https://thelinuxshop.co.uk/android-p-389.html

Why would you need another OS to use WiFi?  I've always found Linux good at picking up and installing wireless cards. You just have to do the usual part and connect it to your router with your password etc.

Does your laptop have WiFi, and it won't work at the moment?

Edited by zach

As you may have noticed I am new to this game so please patient with me.😃 How can I tell if I have Wi-Fi on 

my laptop? I have a Wi-Fi button on my keyboard which flickers when I have got it hard wired to the router. I cannot find anywhere to connect to my router on Linux. So it looks like more investigations to see how it works.

2 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

As you may have noticed I am new to this game so please patient with me.😃 How can I tell if I have Wi-Fi on 

my laptop? I have a Wi-Fi button on my keyboard which flickers when I have got it hard wired to the router. I cannot find anywhere to connect to my router on Linux. So it looks like more investigations to see how it works.

It's fine, new operating systems can take a bit of getting used to. I don't consider myself a pro on Linux but I've used it on and off for a good few years.

It should look like a little radar type icon in the top right. Not the best explanation but the best I can think of, it looks more or less the same as the Windows one if that helps. I can't say how the keyboard button will work in Linux but you mention a light for WiFi, is that showing as on? It should also show in network settings. The last time I looked, it was in the same settings area as the wired connection. Can you see anything in that part that mentions a WiFi adaptor?

I thought you had said but it might help if you let us know the make/model of the laptop. 

Also have a read here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=52  Maybe it will explain things better.

I have had a look at the Linux forum and it is too complex for me, but thanks anyway. I have looked in the network settings and it says Wi-Fi is not available. The laptop is an H.P. compaq HP G60.  The icon you described is on the  keyboard of my laptop but it is a steady amber. Is there any card I could buy which would connect me to Wi-Fi?

EUREKA I have established a Wi-Fi contact. In the end it was so simple. I went onto my desktop and connected from there through the router. All I had to do was authenticate it and enter the router address. Thank you everyone for your very good advice and patience.  

5 hours ago, Kidorry said:

EUREKA I have established a Wi-Fi contact. In the end it was so simple. I went onto my desktop and connected from there through the router. All I had to do was authenticate it and enter the router address. Thank you everyone for your very good advice and patience.  

See, you're learning.

WiFi should, and is secured by your password. That password has to be used on any wireless device before the router will allow it access. There are other ways to connect but not needed to know for you at the moment.

It's worth looking over the forums at your own pace, sooner or later you will have to use terminal to issue commands. You are doing things the right way for now...learn the basics, then build from there.

Edited by zach