Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Windows 10 Feature Update Version 2004

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

not really short sighted, simple practice within a large company IT infrastructure...

You should never roll-out new updates to all clients, without internal testing first, if they failed to do that, and had problems, that's the companies fault, not MS'

And that's why they test it, make sure an update doesn't break compatibility with software/other things that are needed or used by the company... Just blindly letting things update, is bad practice for ANY company that relies on IT infrastructure..

I didn't think ChrisIB was a large corporate and his Publisher woes. As for deployment that goes for any platform - I chastised a guy who visited the Zorin forum who had rolled out Zorin 15 to an existing installed Zorin 12 to a guest terminal in a visitor centre before testing it on a non-production kit - and told him "You're fired!" 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, swarfendor437 said:

I didn't think ChrisIB was a large corporate and his Publisher woes. As for deployment that goes for any platform - I chastised a guy who visited the Zorin forum who had rolled out Zorin 15 to an existing installed Zorin 12 to a guest terminal in a visitor centre before testing it on a non-production kit - and told him "You're fired!" 😄

I was talking about your example of BT Openreach specifically, never mentioned the OP (ChrisIB) beyond a comment that I hadn't heard of any issues myself...

if it "broke Microsoft Publisher" - I'd ask what version of publisher he's using, and if it's setup in any none-standard way also...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The notification was MSPUB.EXE had been 'Protected folder access blocked' for %userprofiles%\Pictures by Windows security. 
It was straightforward to allow with a toggle from a link on the notification.
The document was just in the Documents folder.
Agree, I am using an old version of Publisher (2010) but it had been Windows updated a couple of weeks ago and as I only use it for a couple of documents not really viable to go with an Office subscription.


One feature I do like (but which is also apparently not working properly) is a Windows 'Fresh start' that keeps you stuff but gets rid of any manufacturer's bloatware.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ChrisIB said:

One feature I do like (but which is also apparently not working properly) is a Windows 'Fresh start' that keeps you stuff but gets rid of any manufacturer's bloatware.

It a pity that does not also apply to the many bits in Windows 10 that get installed which the average person does not use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChrisIB said:

The notification was MSPUB.EXE had been 'Protected folder access blocked' for %userprofiles%\Pictures by Windows security. 
It was straightforward to allow with a toggle from a link on the notification.
The document was just in the Documents folder.
Agree, I am using an old version of Publisher (2010) but it had been Windows updated a couple of weeks ago and as I only use it for a couple of documents not really viable to go with an Office subscription.


One feature I do like (but which is also apparently not working properly) is a Windows 'Fresh start' that keeps you stuff but gets rid of any manufacturer's bloatware.
 

This is because I would assume that "MSPUB.EXE" is not in Windows Defender's default white list

Controlled Folder Access, is a feature that is meant to protect your valuable documents from malware and intrusions, (pictures being one of them) - if defender didn't recognize MSPUB.EXE as a safe program (or you had some plugin/module etc for it that wasn't recognized) it would prevent access to any of those protected folders..... I'm not sure the reason why MS would remove the 2010 version of Publisher from their own safe list though...

And the windows 'Fresh Start' has been a feature since Windows 8, it was called "Reset My PC" - it allows you to choose to format and remove everything, or keep documents etc, but reset Windows and it's settings etc...

if you just click Start and type "Reset" (no quotes) it will show "Reset this PC" - this is how you access it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ghozer said:

I'm not sure the reason why MS would remove the 2010 version of Publisher from their own safe list though...

Thanks, yes I guess a few extra security scans would be prudent.

That is one aspect I find a little unsettling about recent MS updates, are such issues the update or are they say malware.

That said some nice improvements, Task manager has had a makeover.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.