Windows 10 Feature Update Version 2004

Reading a number of technical journals/websites, it is plagued with problems, but that seems to be the way with MS products these days.

IF I were a W10 user, I'd be really peeved, but I'm not, so I only follow the subject out of interest. Most of the reputable sites I read suggest to hold off from installing this 'update' for at least a couple of months to see if MS can produce a half-decent product.

It's software, software has bugs. Exactly the same on OS X, the last major OS update was awful and caused a lot of issues and wasn't worth doing until at least two minor versions in. I've not had any issues myself but they have a very good feedback system if you're on the Insider Programme. Testing the number of combinations of software and hardware out there and expecting all of it to be 100% perfect on the first attempt is beyond ridiculous.

The only problem I've noticed is the email client, but only on Gmail. That has been doing some very odd things. If you reply to an email, it is sent, but instead of going to the person you are replying to, it's sent directly to junk.

I'm not sure if KB4497165 is a fix for the problems you mention, this one came up on my system today. I'll give it a go and see what happens. My systems are backed up at least once a week, if it goes pear shaped, I'll restore an older version.

As RollingJ says, I was a bit "peeved" but nothing that I couldn't easily work round. 

EDIT: Well whatever it was for, it was a quick one. Far too early for me to start reading up on it...not enough caffeine in my system yet 😉

Edited by zach

4 minutes ago, probedb said:

It's software, software has bugs. Exactly the same on OS X, the last major OS update was awful and caused a lot of issues and wasn't worth doing until at least two minor versions in. I've not had any issues myself but they have a very good feedback system if you're on the Insider Programme. Testing the number of combinations of software and hardware out there and expecting all of it to be 100% perfect on the first attempt is beyond ridiculous.

I agree it is software, and software has bugs, but I've had every version of Windows from W95 on various computers, and don't remember having the number of problems reported for W10. Minor niggles occasionally, yes, but not issues rendering the system inoperable.

This thread is interesting to me as a quarantined octogenarian relying on my computer links to maintain outside contacts (personal, banking, shopping, etc).  Unlike my grandchildren I am far from "computer literate" and was reluctant to update recently when my very old computer more or less ceased to function.  My new one came with Windows 10 ready installed.  Every time there is a Windows update (DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER!) there seems to be problems and sometimes the same update seems to be made a second time.  For the likes of me putting things right [or having to ask someone else to do so] is very stressful.

I'm running 2004 (Recent fresh install) and can't say I have noticed any problems....

You can't blame an update for breaking a (very) old piece of software, you should look for a new(er) version, or alternative...

and saving to a 'protected' folder? what do you mean?

Protected folders are usually system folders which you shouldn't be saving documents into any ways....

The only other way I can think it wouldn't save to somewhere, was if the folder was locked by some other method (some other software etc)

Windows 10 came up for discussion at the last 'virtual' Sheffield Linux User Group meeting - one member reported that the most recent update has been known to delete user profiles = no access to data.  There was also an instance where BT Openreach Leeds call centres had all their 400 desktops bricked bar one following a Windows 10 update. Also with regards the last major update, Pro users can delay an upgrade for 12 months - not so for Home users. Whilst working from home I am preparing all necessary work using nothing but Linux and SoftMaker Office (recently updated to 2021) for Linux (5 computer Licence  for Windows, Mac and Linux.)  No issues for me running FerenOs 2020.04. My only issue of late has been TalkTalk up and down service requiring frequent reboots of the router (TP-Link Archer VR-2800). The only M$ element I am having to work with (unfortunately) is the awful Office 365!

Edited by swarfendor437

2 minutes ago, swarfendor437 said:

Windows 10 came up for discussion at the last 'virtual' Sheffield Linux User Group meeting - one member reported that the most recent update has been known to delete user profiles = no access to data.  There was also an instance where BT Openreach Leeds call centres had all their 400 desktops bricked bar one following a Windows 10 update. Also with regards the last major update, Pro users can delay an upgrade for 12 months - not so for Home users.

honestly, not heard anything about any issues with 2004 (yet) - and if a company (such as BT Openreach Leeds) has an issue like that, then that's the companies fault for not managing upgrades properly...

6 hours ago, Ghozer said:

You can't blame an update for breaking a (very) old piece of software, you should look for a new(er) version, or alternative...

Well that is a bit narrow-minded - just remember that Publisher (like Access) cannot read .pub files from earlier iterations of the program. If in need for future DTP needs I would look at Scribus - it is free, Cross Platform and a true DTP Application.

39 minutes ago, swarfendor437 said:

Well that is a bit narrow-minded - just remember that Publisher (like Access) cannot read .pub files from earlier iterations of the program. If in need for future DTP needs I would look at Scribus - it is free, Cross Platform and a true DTP Application.

not really short sighted, simple practice within a large company IT infrastructure...

You should never roll-out new updates to all clients, without internal testing first, if they failed to do that, and had problems, that's the companies fault, not MS'

And that's why they test it, make sure an update doesn't break compatibility with software/other things that are needed or used by the company... Just blindly letting things update, is bad practice for ANY company that relies on IT infrastructure..

7 hours ago, Ghozer said:

I'm running 2004 (Recent fresh install) and can't say I have noticed any problems....

and saving to a 'protected' folder? what do you mean?

Protected folders are usually system folders which you shouldn't be saving documents into any ways....

The only other way I can think it wouldn't save to somewhere, was if the folder was locked by some other method (some other software etc)

There seems to be various problems with it, and Microsoft's attempts to fix them.

Wailing Wednesday follows Patch Tuesday as versions of Windows 10 stop playing nicely with plugged-in printers.

Windows 10 once more in print condition: Microsoft applies out-of-band fix.

The protected folders thing might be related to Storage Spaces, another thing new to Windows 10 that is broken (referred to in the second link).