Distancing On Buses

17 hours ago, Jen17 said:

I can assure you that they are not

Yes I accept your point although pedantic . Any face covering. Drivers are NOT challenging and have been told not to even ask passengers if they have one,

Well pointed out. I have been asked by someone to help them do this although there is no medical reason to not wear one. Obviously I refused to help.

No they are not even asking people if they have one !

When someone writes something all in bold (since un-bolded by a mod) using the word ‘mandatory’ I think it’s helpful to point out that they are wrong.  You might think it’s pedantic.  I think there is quite a big difference between the two.

You are also wrong about there being no medical reasons not to wear a face covering.  

Edited by Arnold_Lane

13 hours ago, Gran54 said:

Forgot to say I wasn’t asked to provide any proof and only proof I had with me was my inhaler

Given the grief bus drivers (and other key workers) have experienced trying to implement social distancing I’m not surprised bus drivers aren’t keen to challenge passengers not wearing masks. 

20 hours ago, mafya said:

Yes there are medical reasons to not wear a face mask= https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/19/people-asthma-shouldnt-wear-face-masks-experts-warn-12723945/
🙄

I know there are medical reasons. What I was saying was that the person who wanted me to help them obtain an exemption did not have a medical reason.

Having said that, I have COPD but still manage to wear a mask for the journeys.

2 hours ago, catmiss said:

Given the grief bus drivers (and other key workers) have experienced trying to implement social distancing I’m not surprised bus drivers aren’t keen to challenge passengers not wearing masks. 

That and the total lack of support from management regarding enforcement, under the guise of safety. Drivers have been told they CANNOT enforce it & CANNOT refuse travel to those that refuse to wear. 

With this I'm not surprised drivers aren't bothering. 

9 minutes ago, Resident said:

That and the total lack of support from management regarding enforcement, under the guise of safety. Drivers have been told they CANNOT enforce it & CANNOT refuse travel to those that refuse to wear. 

With this I'm not surprised drivers aren't bothering. 

If the drivers are unionised why is this not being raised with them?

A face mask does not stop you getting the virus but if you have the virus it stops you giving it to other people, therefor Im surprised if bus drivers are letting people on without masks. Someone without a mask could give the virus to the driver and other people on the bus. 

7 hours ago, pattricia said:

A face mask does not stop you getting the virus but if you have the virus it stops you giving it to other people, therefor Im surprised if bus drivers are letting people on without masks. Someone without a mask could give the virus to the driver and other people on the bus. 

I very rarely use public transport but my wife does so I'm concerned about her.  

I don't understand why face coverings are not mandatory for ALL, without exceptions, including those who have certain respiratory conditions such as asthma & COPD? 

Firstly, shouldn't those with servere respiratory illnesses be avoiding public transport anyway & remain shielded at home?  Secondly, we're talking about people wearing face coverings not specifically face masks. 

In the colder months of the year, one piece of medical advice for asthmatics is to wear a scarf, covering your mouth & nose to ensure that the air you breathe in is warm in order to help your lungs. 

Therefore, I fail to see why being (or claiming to be?), asthmatic, makes this group exempt from wearing a face covering at present on a bus, when in normal times, they would be advised to wear a covering & happy to do so? 

We have friends up in Scarborough & one of them was telling us about a woman who tried to get on a bus there without a face covering.  Her excuse, she had just put her make-up on?  The driver refused to take her. 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

I very rarely use public transport but my wife does so I'm concerned about her.  

I don't understand why face coverings are not mandatory for ALL, without exceptions, including those who have certain respiratory conditions such as asthma & COPD? 

Firstly, shouldn't those with servere respiratory illnesses be avoiding public transport anyway & remain shielded at home?  Secondly, we're talking about people wearing face coverings not specifically face masks. 

In the colder months of the year, one piece of medical advice for asthmatics is to wear a scarf, covering your mouth & nose to ensure that the air you breathe in is warm in order to help your lungs. 

Therefore, I fail to see why being (or claiming to be?), asthmatic, makes this group exempt from wearing a face covering at present on a bus, when in normal times, they would be advised to wear a covering & happy to do so? 

We have friends up in Scarborough & one of them was telling us about a woman who tried to get on a bus there without a face covering.  Her excuse, she had just put her make-up on?  The driver refused to take her. 

I agree with most of your post, except for the part where you say “shouldn’t those with severe respiratory illnesses be avoiding public transport and remain shielded at home ? “ Firstly they have already been shielding for 3 months and secondly those who don’t own cars have to use public transport.

22 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I agree with most of your post, except for the part where you say “shouldn’t those with severe respiratory illnesses be avoiding public transport and remain shielded at home ? “ Firstly they have already been shielding for 3 months and secondly those who don’t own cars have to use public transport.

Fair point but if I had a respiratory disorder, I'd be following the medical advice that's been around for a few years now that such people should cover their mouths & noses during the winter months, therefore there's no harm in covering their faces now, not only to protect them on public transport but also to protect others.  Once again, people are being given conflicting information on health matters. 

Are we saying it's ok for an unknowing asthmic person with COVID-19 symptoms which aren't showing, to travel on public transport & potentially put others at risk?  

The starting point put out by Govt for travelling on public transport should have been that ALL passengers should be wearing a face covering. 

If, as experts predict that COVID-19 will drag on into next year & in the colder months the  virus appears to thrive in colder temperatures, are we going to have the ridiculous situation of those with respiratory diseases being told to cover their faces when going out in cold weather only for them to remove face coverings once they get on public transport?

Edited by Baron99

16 hours ago, Arnold_Lane said:

If the drivers are unionised why is this not being raised with them?

Apparently the union bosses signed off on it. 

25 minutes ago, Resident said:

Apparently the union bosses signed off on it. 

What?  It is mandatory to wear a face covering on public transport unless you have a medical condition.  Why would union bosses sign-off on this not being properly observed in South Yorkshire?

On 25/06/2020 at 19:44, Jen17 said:

I repeat - MANDATORY. Bus companies/drivers look up the meaning.

It does not mean suggested or advised or if you can be bothered or if you feel like it, it means MANDATORY.

If i am on a bus and someone gets on without a mask I will be asking for an explanation from the driver. i can see many arguments ensuing let alone virus being transmitted.

Why not ask the person not wearing the mask ? Why do you think the drivers have to explain to other passengers why someone is not wearing a face covering ?