Distancing On Buses

Last Friday I had my car MOT'd, and used the bus to get back and forth from the garage. Strict distancing on board, I reckon it would be "full" with one third of normal capacity. It was an odd journey. 

This morning, buses are going past noticeably fuller than of late, as retail is opening up today. What happens to the poor souls who want to get on, closer to town? 

And don't mention the school buses, they usually come past stuffed like sardines. Just as well they're all closed!

If the bus is full then they're being left behind unfortunately. 

First introduced a new feature to the app which allows users to track buses in near real-time and displays the number of available seats. It's not a perfect system, particularly if you check whilst the bus is several stops away as any available seating may have been taken before it gets to you. 

Even though the OAP passes have gone back to 0930 there will still be those that just travel for the hell of it, reducing capacity for those travelling for work etc. 

Heard one driver being moaned at because an OAP wanted to board just after 0700 but her pass wasn't valid and she was saying it wasn't fair that they be penalised as she had gotten used to visiting her friend every morning during the lockdown. 

and drivers letting people on without face coverings - don't seem to understand the meaning of MANDATORY.

Guest makapaka
7 hours ago, enntee said:

Don't worry about schools ….

Firstly, social distanced loading limits will still apply.

Secondly, only 2 out of 5 secondary year groups are returning and only 25% of them at any one time. i.e 10% at a time.

This is exactly why I’m worried about schools.

i want my daughters education and social life to re-start ASAP.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

This is exactly why I’m worried about schools.

i want my daughters education and social life to re-start ASAP.

Do people from the same household all sit together? It would be daft to space people out, when they intermingle at home.

I think that option is available - can't remember for sure, though, as I haven't been on a bus for a few days.

3 hours ago, Jen17 said:

and drivers letting people on without face coverings - don't seem to understand the meaning of MANDATORY.

As drivers they have been given no backing from authorities or their bosses to enforce the mask requirement. 

I wouldn't want to sit their and argue with the possibility of being attacked on the cards. 

What it needs is for a police presence in the main bus pickups around Sheffield etc and providing a visual deterrent to non-compliance. 

But that would require SYP to do some work. 

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

I think that option is available - can't remember for sure, though, as I haven't been on a bus for a few days.

If it's a parent and child then there's no objection to them sitting together however if it's a family of four or more then they couldn't all sit together as a group else it could reduce the load capacity 

2 minutes ago, Resident said:

As drivers they have been given no backing from authorities or their bosses to enforce the mask requirement. 

I wouldn't want to sit their and argue with the possibility of being attacked on the cards. 

What it needs is for a police presence in the main bus pickups around Sheffield etc and providing a visual deterrent to non-compliance. 

But that would require SYP to do some work. 

If it's a parent and child then there's no objection to them sitting together however if it's a family of four or more then they couldn't all sit together as a group else it could reduce the load capacity 

Makes sense, I think - as I said, not been on a bus for a few days, and I can't remember the wording on the notices. I'll have a look when I make my essential journey tomorrow.

It's OK for planes to be full but not Buses 

It’s ok now going on a bus but when you get to the shops it’s self distancing inside and out so quite spoils the outing.! Then you may not get on a bus back home as the driver may already have the required passengers onboard. So....is it worth it ? 

23 hours ago, Cyclecar said:

Last Friday I had my car MOT'd, and used the bus to get back and forth from the garage. Strict distancing on board, I reckon it would be "full" with one third of normal capacity. It was an odd journey. 

This morning, buses are going past noticeably fuller than of late, as retail is opening up today. What happens to the poor souls who want to get on, closer to town? 

And don't mention the school buses, they usually come past stuffed like sardines. Just as well they're all closed!

Unfortunately, schools are far from closed.

In fact, all Sheffield parents of school children have received letters from Greg Fell, in charge of Sheffield public health, and Cllr Abtisam Mohamed, stating that they support the wider opening of schools from Monday 15th June, based on the successful track and trace system!?

People with asthma, COPD etc shouldn't wear masks. I haven't been on a bus yet and probably won't for some time as my husband is sheilding. When we do he said he'll wear a mask anyway because people will wonder why if he doesn't. It's a shame there isn't a card available to prove that you're exempt from wearing a mask.