Villa vs SUFC

4 minutes ago, cmonkes said:

Whilst the VAR decision is highly frustrating and I agree with those who right state that the loss of points may prove costly, come the end of the season...

Let's remember one thing though, the performance only really warranted a point. So whilst this is indeed a travesty, we need to remember that a better quality performance, would have made this very poor decision way less costly.

We've technically just encountered a full summer break, as per every season. With that, you expect to see a bit of rustiness and a few players off the pace. Therefore it was'nt a huge show to see examples of this on the pitch. Factor in the absence of a couple of key and instrumental players....and well, I never expected a commanding performance from us.

I do however think that we played into Villa's hands with the way that we set up.....

Billy up top?...He's a fantastic poacher, if the ball is put into the right place. But it the air? Against Villa's, big, physical, centre backs? He never really stood a chance did he?..... I don't think he was able to impose himself on the game, which in turn led to villa nodding the ball down. Ultimately; this pulls Mcburnie off his game as well, because he has to drop a bit deeper to accommodate this..... But surely Billy shoud be playing off McBurnie I head you say??... it's not going to happen... why? Because he doesn't have the legs to do this consistently any more. Put the ball in the box and he will put a good few away, but expect him to chase it down all the time. He will win a few battles, but will often find himself outpaced.

And then we go back to "putting the ball in the box". It didnt happen really did it? No infamous, overlapping wide men or central backs.... the changes in the team, unfortunately, led to an overall tentative performance.

Do I expect it to stay this way?....No way.

We need to strip a bit fitter and brush this performance off. It's another clean sheet and to be honest, it wasn't a terrible performance all round. For the most it was disciplined and composed. But with winning comes confidence, and with confidence comes momentum for us......

We are quite limited in the way of resources, in comparison to other teams. We need key players back asap, or we need existing squad players to fill places quickly and to adapt to our former, successful, style of play.

So yes, another disappointing flaw in a system that continues to annoys us all and ruin the game. But.....you are in charge of your own destiny and the only way to stop these poor decisions costing you valuable points, is to do enough to ensure that single decisions like this, dont bite you in the backside.

Should have been 3 points, will settle for the 1 after a long restart. More is required now boys....we need to kick on!

Good post Monks, football is full of dubious decisions, and as I've just posted it actually makes the game what it is, fabulous entertainment. Some you win, some you lose, this season the blades have found themselves on the wrong side of key decisions, but it evens itself out over a season or two.. had that been Villa who "scored" and had it ruled out, us Blades would have been saying ...

Time we had a bit of luck.

12 hours ago, pintor said:

Thats the sky footage that everyone saw, wheres the Hawkeye film of the incident where they say they can't decide on a goal or not

I think we'd all like to see the footage but presumably, like they've already stated, there IS no suitable footage from the 7, yes SEVEN, cameras of Hawk-eye?  Hmmmm? 

Well let's have a look at what Hawk-eye did record then & we can all judge for ourselves? 

The smart option would have been to use Sky's footage?  We're not talking millimetres here are we? 

Edited by Baron99

I wonder what the outcome would have been if the players had surrounded the ref and verbally battered him into submission like we have seen the ManU or Chelsea players do (for example).

As has already been said, if it was Cheleas, Man Utd, Man City, etc., it would have been a different story. 

Still, 6th in the World's best league is not too bad.   If we miss out on Europe by one point, or if Villa stay up by one point (or one goal, difference), then it could get really interesting.

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I think we'd all like to see the footage but presumably, like they've already stated, there IS no suitable footage from the 7, yes SEVEN, cameras of Hawk-eye?  Hmmmm? 

Well let's have a look at what Hawk-eye did record then & we can all judge for ourselves? 

The smart option would have been to use Sky's footage?  We're not talking millimetres here are we? 

It isn't a bloke sat watching the cameras to tell the ref as far as I know, I thought the cameras would automatically pick it up but obviously with the cameras blocked it couldn't

On 19/06/2020 at 18:18, Jim Hardie said:

Taking comfort that he doesn't have to make a decision, same as the ref.

Linesman, Ref, Fourth Official, VAR Room Staff, Hawkeye, Premier League: not fit for purpose.

Villa should have had an indirect free kick in United’s box in injury time when Henderson held on to the ball for 17 seconds.

So Villa beat Arsenal tonight and move out of bottom three.

Cries of "Foul!" from Watford expected...

Following their relegation, Bournemouth's Board are to discuss a possible legal challenge involving our 'goal' against Villa that wasn't given. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53571916

Don't think it's got a cat in Hell chance.  To many legal ramifications.  

Could you imagine the FA taking a point off Villa & relegating them & saving Bournemouth?  Then, surely they'd have to give us the 3 points, putting us above Arsenal & thereby awarding us an increase in Premiership prize money? 

Never going to happen. 

18 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Following their relegation, Bournemouth's Board are to discuss a possible legal challenge involving our 'goal' against Villa that wasn't given. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53571916

Don't think it's got a cat in Hell chance.  To many legal ramifications.  

Could you imagine the FA taking a point off Villa & relegating them & saving Bournemouth?  Then, surely they'd have to give us the 3 points, putting us above Arsenal & thereby awarding us an increase in Premiership prize money? 

Never going to happen. 

People need to accept no technology is perfect. Hawkeye has been shown to not be perfect, would we all prefer it to not be there? I doubt it. It needed something like this to happen for the authorities to look at it and make it so VAR steps in if it looks like it hasn't worked.

A season is played over 38/46 games, if you are in the bottom 3 after that then it's because your not good enough, accept it and get on with it, they won't be short if a few quid getting relegated anyway.

It’s a paradox anyway, Who’s to know that if our goal had been given Villa wouldn’t have then gone on to score 2 and win?