Sign in to follow this  

Headphone Recommendations

I was wondering if anybody could recommend some headphones for the PC, preferably enclose over the ears rather than on them and around the £50 mark.

I will be using them for music listening and making as well as games but I'm not too bothered about the gaming ones with a mic. Tried a few recently which have now been returned either because they were too bassy or not very good on the mids. Had a look at some reviews but I don't trust them to be true as one set I have returned said they were good for music and yet when I played Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" her vocals sounded like she was singing in a room with the door shut!

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks Ghozer, must admit they do look good and the specs too but I'm really wanting some that cover the ears rather than sit on them.

Hi A/L, If you can stretch your budget a bit then these get good reviews,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT240-Professional-Studio-Headphones/232973602763?epid=4010979806&hash=item363e4f0fcb:g:ooUAAOSwuWJby4Nd

I have a pair of Beyer dynamic DT770, which are really good, proper studio/broadcast headphones, well built, they are more expensive, but really great sounding, they don't swamp you with bass like a lot of modern style of headphones, but you forget you're listening to headphones.

Beyer do a ranges of their DT ranges  and at different ohms rating, the ones I use are 80ohm which work well with a computer/laptop,

the 400 ohm plus really only work with a stereo amplifier,

The ones I posted in the link are 34ohms which again will be fine with computers and music players.

apart from being very well built, most beyer dynamics, spares can be bought,

Regards

Thanks acman.

I can stretch the budget and these do seem very good but unfortunately they are also on ear and not over ear. I wear glasses and find that on ear ones can get a bit uncomfortable after wearing fo a few hours hence my choice for over ear ones.  

16 hours ago, apelike said:

Thanks Ghozer, must admit they do look good and the specs too but I'm really wanting some that cover the ears rather than sit on them.

I think you looked at the wrong ones, they are 'cover the ear' and not 'over the ear' These are mine (mdr-zx610) 

31y4EAT4lUL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Edited by Ghozer

53 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

I think you looked at the wrong ones, they are 'cover the ear' and not 'over the ear' These are mine (mdr-zx610) 

31y4EAT4lUL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Ah.. thanks for confirming that as in the specs on the link is states "on-ear."

1 hour ago, apelike said:

Ah.. thanks for confirming that as in the specs on the link is states "on-ear."

Yeah, 'on ear' means covers your ear, 'over ear' is the ones that have the little hook thing that go over your ear, 'in ear' is the small "earbud" type style.... generally :)

My understanding is that over ear completely cover the ears with the cup. I have two pairs of Bose, one on ear which sits on the ear, and the other covers the ears.

26 minutes ago, classicfan said:

My understanding is that over ear completely cover the ears with the cup. I have two pairs of Bose, one on ear which sits on the ear, and the other covers the ears.

You could be right actually, over means cover, on means hooked.... 

there's no "standard" it's just whatever the manufacturer wants to call it :)