Rumours Bbc4 To Be Axed?

Read about this a few weeks ago in the Radio Times.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-05-11/bbc-four-axed-rumours/amp/#aoh=15920869905106&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

This has sparked a number of replies in support of the channel. 

The average age of a viewer of the channel, (I don't know how they know this?), is 64 years of age. Depending what you read, BBC4 is being axed entirely for no other reason than to save money; to fund the return of the more youth orientated, BBC3 from its online platform to the mainstream; BBC4 is to become a subscription channel only. 

It's a shame if it does go because it does have a great variety of high quality programmes from science, arts & music documentaries, as well as introducing not only comedy programmes, (The Thick Of It), that were original but also being a station that you could see quality foreign, (subtitled), detective series from around the world, such as 'The Bridge', 'Beck', 'Wallender' & 'Inspector Montalbano', none of which would seen the light of day on BBC1 or even BBC2 & the commercial ITV, certainly would never contemplate showing the type of programme that BBC4 show. 

There is a need for mainstream provider such as the BBC to provide a channel such as BBC4 to give us a bit of cultural enrichment in our lives & isn't that one part  of the BBC's motto, to educate? 

Edited by Baron99

8 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Read about this a few weeks ago in the Radio Times.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-05-11/bbc-four-axed-rumours/amp/#aoh=15920869905106&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

This has sparked a number of replies in support of the channel. 

The average age of a viewer of the channel, (I don't know how they know this?), is 64 years of age. Depending what you read, BBC4 is being axed entirely for no other reason than to save money; to fund the return of the more youth orientated, BBC3 from its online platform to the mainstream; BBC4 is to become a subscription channel only. 

It's a shame if it does go because it does have a great variety of high quality programmes from science, arts & music documentaries, as well as introducing not only comedy programmes, (The Thick Of It), that were original but also being a station that you could see quality foreign, (subtitled), detective series from around the world, such as 'The Bridge', 'Beck', 'Wallender' & 'Inspector Montalbano', none of which would seen the light of day on BBC1 or even BBC2 & the commercial ITV, certainly would never contemplate showing the type of programme that BBC4 show. 

There is a need for mainstream provider such as the BBC to provide a channel such as BBC4 to give us a bit of cultural enrichment in our lives & isn't that one part  of the BBC's motto, to educate? 

Some good programmes as you say on BBC 4,  but  BBC 3 will no doubt become another LGBT obsessed channel like the rest of the beeb, if they can make BBC 4 a subscription channel  why can't they make all BBC channels subscription and do away with the licence 

Edited by pintor

You had me worried then I thought you were talking about BBC radio 4.

I didn't even know there was a BBC TV 4

21 hours ago, Baron99 said:

... It's a shame if it does go because it does have a great variety of high quality programmes from science, arts & music documentaries, as well as introducing not only comedy programmes, (The Thick Of It), that were original but also being a station that you could see quality foreign, (subtitled), detective series from around the world, such as 'The Bridge', 'Beck', 'Wallender' & 'Inspector Montalbano', none of which would seen the light of day on BBC1 or even BBC2 & the commercial ITV, certainly would never contemplate showing the type of programme that BBC4 show. 

If I could only receive one channel on my TV it would be BBC Four.  (And not just because of 'Inspector Montalbano'.)

I'd prefer the whole biased BBC to be scrapped but Beeb4 is one of the few channels with anything on worth watching, they're trying to appeal to a younger audience that don't really watch terrestrial TV.