Sonic Tooth Brushes

An ultrasonic brush compared to the more commonly seen and used sonic brushes does not need a physical motion to clean the teeth surfaces and gumline.

I know some prefer a good old fashioned toothbrush. Has anyone experience of electric and sonic/ultrasonic brushes?

I've tried electric, rubbish, too messy for me, I'm back on the old fashioned ones.

5 hours ago, Padders said:

I've tried electric, rubbish, too messy for me, I'm back on the old fashioned ones.

Try applying the toothpaste before you turn on the toothbrush. A lot less messy that way.

@El Cid

How does the cleaning ability compare to the Oral B brushes? They are made by Braun Germany.

Edited by Janus

On 13/06/2020 at 12:46, Padders said:

Ive heard the Hedgehogs are less messy,  :hihi:

4 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Ive heard the Hedgehogs are less messy,  :hihi:

Don't give up the day job Mr P.  :hihi:

Always fancied a career in comedy,  now thats funny.  :hihi:

I've been a long term electric toothbrush user, due to my manual dexterity problems, and historically I've used an Oral B one (I think I'm on my 4th or 5th one now, in about 25 years). 

I was supplied with an ultrasonic one for free by a promotions company a few years ago.  It was a top of the range Colgate Pro Clinical one (it had numbers, but I can't remember what they were) and I'm afraid I didn't like it. 

Quite apart from anything else, it tickled my gums and I found it really irritating.  It also didn't feel like my teeth were as clean after using it as they felt from my normal brush, and I found myself supplementing it with a bit of manual brushing for all of the bits that didn't feel clean.  They did feel clean after the extra brushing, which I took to be confirmation.  It also turned itself off at the end of a 2 minute brushing cycle, which was a bit annoying if I hadn't quite finished.  Yes it was simple to turn it on and start another cleaning cycle, but on top of everything else, it just caused me to dislike it all the more and in the end I gave it away.

One thing to remember if you're considering an electric job is that they need recharging periodically - and if you haven't a two-pin shaver socket in your bathroom, you'll end up using an adapter in a different room.

Edited by RiffRaff

If you do get an electric toothbrush, make sure it has a lithium ion battery in it if it is rechargeable. I have seen some cheap Braun ones which aren't and the battery life and overall performance is shocking.