Royal Standard Hotel

My Great Great  Great Grandfather was the licensee of the Royal Standard, can anyone help me with the history of the hotel I can't seem to find much information about it, ie when it was built and any other information that may be interesting, as I am not in Sheffield or the UK it is a bit harder to find out much.  Any help would be great.

24 minutes ago, Yorkshire64 said:

My Great Great  Great Grandfather was the licensee of the Royal Standard, can anyone help me with the history of the hotel I can't seem to find much information about it, ie when it was built and any other information that may be interesting, as I am not in Sheffield or the UK it is a bit harder to find out much.  Any help would be great.

Try this for a starter.

https://pubwiki.co.uk/Yorkshire/SheffieldR/RoyalStandardStMarys.shtml

https://sheffield.camra.org.uk/2019/02/heritage-pubs-royal-standard/

Trouble with searching for the history for any Pub now a days always end's up with pages of reviews rather than the History.

Hope the above is of use.

Rocker.

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

Thanks Rocker, I have seen that and your right about the reviews it's a dam nuisance.

19 minutes ago, Yorkshire64 said:

Thanks Rocker, I have seen that and your right about the reviews it's a dam nuisance.

Happy Daze Suppin in't Standard.

The landlord back in 79 would switch the jukebox off if anyone played the B side of the Sex Pistol's 'Something Else'

('Frigging in the Rigging') on it. - LOL

4 hours ago, Yorkshire64 said:

There’s a full list of pubs and their licencees on History Sheffield, not much on the history of pubs though but you just ask a question about the Royal Standard and someone may come up with information for you.

Royal Standard

156 St Mary's Road, S2

Open 1833 Closed Span 175

Comments

Earlier

1841 James Hodgson [ Leadmill Road ]

1845 James Hodgson (172 St Mary's Road)

1849 H Pigott

1851 Henry Pigott (census)

1852 Henry Pigott

1854 Henry Piggott

1856 Henry Pigott [ 2 St Mary's Road ]

1859 Charles Elliott

1862 to 1865 Charles Elliott

1868 Charles Elliott

1871 Charles Elliott

1876 Charles Elliott [ 156 St Mary's Road ]

1879 Charles Elliott

1881 Charles Elliott

1883 Charles Elliott

1887 to 1890 Edward Rowland

1901 to 1903 Edward Rowland

1905 Edward Rowland

1907 Edward Rowland

1910 to 1913 Percy Wild

1916 Percy Wild

1917 Arthur Edlington

1919 to 1923 Arthur Edlington

1924 - 25 James Flood

1929 James Flood

1931 to 1933 James Flood

1936 to 1938 James Flood

1939 Frank Green

1942 Frank Green

1944 Frank Green

1948 Frank Green

1951 Frank Green.

No entry after 1951.

Edited by lazarus

2 hours ago, Yorkshire64 said:

The Royal Standard at one time was one of Ward's Brewer's flagship pubs. 

I used to go in quite a bit in the 1980's.

I assume that's long after your ancestors time, but if you can tell me his name and the era he ran the pub I can have a poke around....you never know what might come up. 

I used to go in there every Friday in 1966/67.  The date 1919 sticks in my memory as the date the pub was built.

Edited by fatrajah

I used a top rock band that had big connections and the won a big award a few years ago,they sang at the lowedges festival infact headlind,cant recall there name,

also had some great pies in there in the 90s

6 hours ago, Yorkshire64 said:

There was another Royal Standard, on South Street that appears to close just after WW1.....any idea which of the two it was?

10 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

There was another Royal Standard, on South Street that appears to close just after WW1.....any idea which of the two it was?

1859 Charles Elliott

1862 to 1865 Charles Elliott

1868 Charles Elliott

1871 Charles Elliott

1876 Charles Elliott [ 156 St Mary's Road ]

1879 Charles Elliott

1881 Charles Elliott

1883 Charles Elliott

It was the one on St Mary's Street my grandad was Charles Elliott, I have matched him being there from the census but thought it would be interesting if I could find a bit about the place.

Iremember Royal  Standard Playing in A.J.S. Tropy in 1950s at Niagra Ground Against Worrall F.C. Worrall won.

If the one on South Street closed just after WW1 & the present building dates from 1919 as I posted earlier, that would make sense.