Tv Shows Being Removed From Various Platforms Due To Offensive Content

3 hours ago, jackanne said:

A program that is still on you tube is the situation comedy Love Thy Neighbour,all episodes available,don't watch if you are easily offended!!

One of the nuances that people forget about Love The Neighbour is that it's equally racist towards white people as well; the racial slurs are spread equally. However it's the black guy that always wins in the face of the opposition from his bigot neighbour.

Being offended from time to time is the price you pay for living in a country that values freedom of speech. There are worse things that can happen to someone than being offended, such as somebody breaking into their home and robbing them at gunpoint.

Quote: John Cleese has laid into the "cowardly and gutless and contemptible" BBC after an episode of Fawlty Towers was removed from a BBC-owned streaming platform.

Article here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53020335

Cleese said, "The BBC is now run by a mixture of marketing people and petty bureaucrats."

1 hour ago, Janus said:

Quote: John Cleese has laid into the "cowardly and gutless and contemptible" BBC after an episode of Fawlty Towers was removed from a BBC-owned streaming platform.

Article here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53020335

Cleese said, "The BBC is now run by a mixture of marketing people and petty bureaucrats."

Sensibly , the episode has now been re-instated,

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/jun/12/john-cleese-attacks-stupid-removal-of-fawlty-towers-episode

Comedy is meant to be contentious, controversial, subversive etc etc thats what makes it great.

Fawlty Towers will have been watched more in the last few days than it has been for years and is anyone really offended by it, really???

3 hours ago, Janus said:

I agree, they see things in the media and worry and have a kneejerk reaction instead of looking at things factually and logically

There are a few episodes of 'Rising Damp' that might end up disappearing?  One or two of the comments from Rigsby to Phillip could be termed racist 'THESE DAYS' but as other have said, what won't be taken into consideration is the nuances in the episodes & Rigsby is ultimately the butt of the jokes & comes off worse.  

If we are taking about banning / removing things, what about 'Goodness Gracious Me' or 'The Kumars At No. 42'?  Both played on racial stereotypes & whites / white guests were often the butt of racially themed jokes. 

One episode that springs to mind from 'Goodness Gracious Me' is where the premise is it's Friday night in an Indian city & the cast 'Go for an English',  then set about making fun of the white, English waiter, amusing themselves about how he speaks, making fun of his name. 

I could say I find such sketches highly offensive, (which I don't, as you can tell I've previously seen them) but do you think the BBC would be prepared to pull them or 'review' them in the current climate? 

It's a slippery slope to start going down.  Are 'Allo, Allo' days numbered?

I'm sure if people took the time to  investigated Sir Lenny Henry's old episodes, we could find some dubious sketches.  Doesn't Theopolus P. Wildebeast's character play up to racial stereotypes for one & his comments about & towards women, (white women), probably wouldn't go down well these days?

Edited by Baron99

So is Dad's Army next?  Corporal Jones' racist references to the indigenous Africans in the Boer War.

Take a lead from the Talking Pictures channel, and announce a disclaimer before films and programmes from a different era, that some references which may offend are ARCHAIC.

1 hour ago, steved32 said:

So is Dad's Army next?  Corporal Jones' racist references to the indigenous Africans in the Boer War.

Take a lead from the Talking Pictures channel, and announce a disclaimer before films and programmes from a different era, that some references which may offend are ARCHAIC

That sorts it out, however the BBC wouldn't be able to take offence for anyone that might get upset.

I can see it coming where any music, tv programmes, books, plays etc, anything that has a word in that someone thinks might upset someone else will have a warning with it. 

dont forget theyve been removing jimi saville from episodes and clips of totps for years too, its not all racial