Learning German

I leant German at school, getting a poor result. I am now nearing my 60s and I would like to have a hobby and an aim to go to Germany.

I am hoping someone can point me to a structured online course? I am a poor learner, but I have few other interests.

Wouldn't Spanish be a better choice in your case?

;-)

10 hours ago, El Cid said:

I leant German at school, getting a poor result. I am now nearing my 60s and I would like to have a hobby and an aim to go to Germany.

I am hoping someone can point me to a structured online course? I am a poor learner, but I have few other interests.

Have you not tried searching for online German courses? Many are available, free and paid for. I'm not sure how "free" the free ones would be, but https://www.deutsch-lernen.com/ might be a typical example.

Duolingo seems to be one of the best regarded language learning sites.

When I started a job in Germany, my boss told me the best way to learn the language was to get a German girlfriend. My English girlfriend arrived soon after, so it was never put to the test, lol.

The US government's Foreign Services Institute (the bit that trains diplomats) has made all its language courses available for free. Many sites host the files, search for "FSI language courses".

On 12/06/2020 at 07:30, RiffRaff said:

Wouldn't Spanish be a better choice in your case?

;it won't be much good if he wants to go to germany

20 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

When I started a job in Germany, my boss told me the best way to learn the language was to get a German girlfriend. My English girlfriend arrived soon after, so it was never put to the test, lol.

Not sure it's appropriate to refer to a German girlfriend as 'it'.....😉

I have come accross Babbel, might try that. Free trial and then carry on.

Enrolment has started for the German language courses at King Edwards School next to the Hallamshire Hospital starting on October 2 in the evening.