Re Writing Of History

It's amazing how many people seem to have gained so much knowledge of history in the last week or so, the thing is history has to be kept in context too, there are still far too many generalisations about British history and history in general, we are where we are as a consequence of history and it's a very complex tapestry that has been woven, it surprises me how so many of the so called 'educated' amongst us are happy to only focus on selective aspects of it, I would take a guess that not that many actually know much about the history of the town or city they live in, never mind the world.

The targeting of statues is all well and good but many, many people have walked past those statues on a daily basis without realising who they are of or what they are there for, in fact I would say many simply didn't care because these statues have no actual bearing on their lives whatsoever, the decision to take some down is purely symbolic and will not make any persons life any better.

Anyone on here ever visited other European cities or places around the world where things were done and thought those places would be better for removing their historical artefacts ?

Most of them actually attract millions of tourists to see these things and get to know the history without it being hidden in a museum in most cases, try Berlin or Krakow for starters, though I'm sure all our Remain voters already will have :wink:

Good points, @Michael_W. I was sent an interesting Twitter link earlier - when my phones recharged and I've got a couple of spare minutes, I'll see if I can find it on the laptop and repost.

9 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

It's amazing how many people seem to have gained so much knowledge of history in the last week or so, the thing is history has to be kept in context too, there are still far too many generalisations about British history and history in general, we are where we are as a consequence of history and it's a very complex tapestry that has been woven, it surprises me how so many of the so called 'educated' amongst us are happy to only focus on selective aspects of it, I would take a guess that not that many actually know much about the history of the town or city they live in, never mind the world.

The targeting of statues is all well and good but many, many people have walked past those statues on a daily basis without realising who they are of or what they are there for, in fact I would say many simply didn't care because these statues have no actual bearing on their lives whatsoever, the decision to take some down is purely symbolic and will not make any persons life any better.

Anyone on here ever visited other European cities or places around the world where things were done and thought those places would be better for removing their historical artefacts ?

Most of them actually attract millions of tourists to see these things and get to know the history without it being hidden in a museum in most cases, try Berlin or Krakow for starters, though I'm sure all our Remain voters already will have :wink:

The Soviets took down quite a few bits of historical decoration in 1945. Should they have left it up?

13 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

The Soviets took down quite a few bits of historical decoration in 1945. Should they have left it up?

Not quite the same context though is it, they didn't just roll up in their tanks to take down the trimmings fella !

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

How does the following sound to you ''I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place."?

Certainly, that was racist thinking (socal Darwinism); the white man superior to the black man. The UK which was running the Empire were superior in organization, military, technology and (arguably) the arts etc, and like other Empirists (an age he was born into) he believed that it was in the best interests of the afformentioned to be dominated but it didn't mean he hated them. 

The Red Indians weren't peaceful, the tribes were at constant war with one another

23 minutes ago, carosio said:

Certainly, that was racist thinking (socal Darwinism); the white man superior to the black man. The UK which was running the Empire were superior in organization, military, technology and (arguably) the arts etc, and like other Empirists (an age he was born into) he believed that it was in the best interests of the afformentioned to be dominated but it didn't mean he hated them. 

The Red Indians weren't peaceful, the tribes were at constant war with one another

Native Americans.

23 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Native Americans.

It was Halibut who first referred to them as "Red Indians". 

Edited by janie48

Closed for review