The New Build Near Western Park

Oh dear I suspect that isn’t the whole story,poor residents that will have to put up with even more disruption.

I think this was originally reported a few weeks back as being due to problems with the foundations and the geology of the ground.  There is a need to pull parts of the build down so that extra piling can be installed.  I would have thought piling/ foundation requirements should have been identified by surveyors well  before any building works started. Or perhaps it is normal to 'throw up' a building and if it doesn't start to move then it should be ok?    

Anyone heard anything about the new build properties at High Hazels View on Infield Lane which were alleged to be cracking due to ground movement?

Guest makapaka
52 minutes ago, Phili Buster said:

I would have thought piling/ foundation requirements should have been identified by surveyors well  before any building works started.

They will of course have been designed by engineers prior to installation.

Mistakes can be made though - in design or construction - so it’s not that unusual for something like this to happen.

That site was the Godrey Dam until around the 1960's, so I can imagine there might be issues with deep silt deposits etc.

53 minutes ago, dave_the_m said:

That site was the Godrey Dam until around the 1960's, so I can imagine there might be issues with deep silt deposits etc.

Indeed it was.

Not just silt.

Did their survey find the any coal and spoil from the exploratory mining.

Did they find the cast iron pipes for the works on Watery Street?

Did they find the  unrecorded waterworks associated with the dams above is Ralph and Misfortune dams?

Did they access the documentation regarding the infilling by industrial and domestic waste?

Out of interest, who foots the bill for all this additional work - is it the university or the contractors?

Guest makapaka
16 minutes ago, bluecanary said:

Out of interest, who foots the bill for all this additional work - is it the university or the contractors?

All depends where the responsibility and risk lies for the design and installation and who is able to demonstrate who’s responsible.

Due to the extent of liability involved issues like this tend to lead to disputes between either party as to who is responsible.

Edited by makapaka

I recall reading some time ago that the university were unaware that the site used to be a reservoir.   Duh ... I remember it being a reservoir when I was a little kid, as was what is now the boating lake in Crookes Valley Park.

3 hours ago, makapaka said:

All depends where the responsibility and risk lies for the design and installation and who is able to demonstrate who’s responsible.

Due to the extent of liability involved issues like this tend to lead to disputes between either party as to who is responsible.

I would expect there BAM or their subcontractors would have insurance to cover the costs

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Zarniwoop said:

I would expect there BAM or their subcontractors would have insurance to cover the costs

Again it would depend on who is responsible, the contractors or sub-contractors would not claim on their insurance if others were responsible.

It also depends on why the issue occurred as to whether it would be recoverable under a policy.

issues such as this are often very complex to resolve commercially.