Grandmother's Origins - Mary Ellen Hopkin(s)

I am researching my father's side of the family.  He was born (Walter Hopkin(s) in  April 1899 in Sheffield. 

His mother was Mary Ellen Hopkin(s) [nee Jones] she was born in 1879 + or -. 

She married my grandfather [also] Walter Hopkin(s) in Nov 1898 at St. Luke's  (??) parish church in Dyer's Hill, Sheffield. 

I believe she died in 1958 in Sheffield.

Family history says she was originally born in Ireland (unknown as to the location) and her mother was  a dancer.  Her father was a seaman.  Again just talk was that she was sent to stay with relatives in the UK (Liverpool ??).  At some stage she lived in 93 South Street, Sheffield and her husband lived at 73 South Street.   

I am trying to find out her birthplace and if the family verbal history is true about her being sent to live in England by her mother.  I have found a 1891 Census record of a Mary Ellen Jones (aged 14) living with the Hemmings family and working as a general servant at their house 88 Blake Street, Nether Hallam, Sheffield.

I had relatives living in the Sheffield area, but sadly have lost touch with them.

If anyone reading these notes is from my family please get in touch.  To maybe assist a bit more my father (1899-1979) married a Jessie Drabble around 1920.  They had son who died in tragic circumstances aged abt 20 months (bath of scalding water).  I have a family history page on Ancestry.co.uk.

On the 1939 register, Mary Ellen Hopkin gives her date of birth as, 13 August 1879.

Mary Ellen's birthplace is given as Liverpool in the 1901 and 1911 census returns, and there is a birth record of July-Sept. 1879 for a Mary Ellen Jones in the West Derby district (part of Liverpool). This is most likely the Mary Ellen Jones who turns up in the 1881 census in the Toxteth Park area of West Derby, with her Welsh-born mother Elizabeth and older siblings Phoebe, Catherine Ellen and John. Her father isn't mentioned in the 1881 census, but the 1871 census has the same Elizabeth Jones in Toxteth Park with Phoebe,  Catherine Ellen and husband Richard Jones, also born in Wales and a "labourer". Here is a scan of the 1911 census page.

https://i.postimg.cc/sxkgjr6G/1911-Hopkin.jpg

The marriages index confirms that Walter married Jessie Drabble in Sheffield in July-Sept. 1921, and their son Walter was born a year later. Here is a report of the baby's tragic death, from the "Sheffield Daily Telegraph" of 9 February 1924. https://i.postimg.cc/fL6vN3Nc/02.jpg

Edited by hillsbro